SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Foundation of Faith - Heart or Mind or Both

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

Foundation of Faith - Heart or Mind or Both

Is is wrong to base on faith on the mind and heart as oppose to either one alone.

2012/4/16 0:45Profile
onemite

Re: Foundation of Faith - Heart or Mind or Both

You may find these sermons helpful. If you are interested, here is the first one. You can google the other parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugmv4MebVeA

2012/4/16 2:01Profile
rookie

Re:

We are given examples in Scripture which answers your question. Paul always points to Abraham when correcting those who live without the revelation of God.

Abraham believed because of what God did to enable him to believe. Search the Scripture for your answer, God will give the increase.

2012/4/16 7:06Profile
roadsign

Re:

You ask a great question: Is faith a matter of heart or mind or both? Another question that should be asked first: Do you mean feeling as opposed to thinking??

One of our posters, J-I-G, posted the following verses in another thread to help show how in scripture heart and mind were essentially synonymous. I post them here, as you may find this helpful:

Pro 23:7a For as he *thinketh* in his *heart*, so is he

Mat 9:3,4 And, behold, certain of the scribes *said within themselves*, This man blasphemeth.
And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore *think* ye evil in *your hearts*?

Luk 7:39,40 But seeing, the Pharisee who invited Him *spoke within himself*, saying, This one, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what the woman who touches him is; for she is a sinner.
And answering, Jesus said to the man, Simon, I have a thing to say to you. And he said, Teacher, speak.

Luk 7:49,50 And those reclining with Him began to *say within themselves*, Who is this who even forgives sins?
But He said to the woman, Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.

Mat 9:3,4 And, behold, some of the scribes *said within themselves*, This One blasphemes.
And *seeing their thoughts*, Jesus said, Why do you think evil in your *hearts*?

Mat 12:34 Offspring of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the *heart* the mouth speaks.

Mat 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their *heart* is far from me.

2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God,
and bringing into captivity *every thought* to the obedience of Christ

2012/4/16 7:57Profile
roadsign

Re: From Pilgrim

Another poster, Pilgrim added his own list of verses on that earlier thread (Starting over with a New Identity), which I post here:
-----
Here are some examples where mind and heart are used interchangeably. Sometimes, they are used as synonyms.

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the THOUGHTS of his HEART was only evil continually.

Eze 38:10 Thus saith the Lord GOD; It shall also come to pass, that at the same time shall things come into thy MIND, and thou shalt think an evil THOUGHT:

Act 14:2 But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles, and made their MINDS EVIL affected against the brethren.

Mar 7:21 For from within, out of the HEART of men, proceed evil THOUGHTS, adulteries, fornications, murders,

Mar 14:72 And the second time the cock crew. And Peter called to MIND the word that Jesus said unto him, Before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. And when he THOUGHT thereon, he wept.

2Co 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

Jere. 17:10 - "I, the Lord, search the HEART, I test the MIND"

Psa 139:23 Search me, O God, and KNOW MY HEART: try me, and KNOW MY THOUGHTS:

Pilgrim
--------

2012/4/16 8:04Profile
mguldner

Kansas

This is a confusing question eh? Not to be technical but the heart is a muscle that pumps blood, other than sustaining life if has nothing to do with faith. Perhaps being more specific :)

But in all reality it is all brain just different parts of the brain working in different ways.

2012/4/16 8:21Profile
Solomon101

America's Heartand

Re:

Romans 10:10 it is with your heart that you believe and are justified

Faith is not the intellectual acceptance of a body of doctrine; faith is faith in a person. --William Barclay

Intellectual assent, or agreement to a series of true facts from scripture, is not "faith:. Scripture tells us that the demons know true Biblical facts. They mentally assent or agree those facts are true and they tremble in fear at that knowledge. It isn't knowing all the doctrines, catechisms, etc. It is actually having an encounter with, ongoing relaionship with, and knowing Jesus Christ the actual risen Son of God in our "hearts and souls" .

We are to "renew our minds with the Word of God". However, Biblical faith is, as Romans states, "it is with your heart that you believe and are justified".

Then again scripture makes plain that the faith in our heart comes by "hearing and hearing the Word of God". So it comes through the mind but only brings forth harvest in our lives as faith when we receive it into our hearts and embrace it.

2012/4/16 9:31Profile
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

Re:

Please explain

Matthew 22:37 Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'

What was Jesus referring to when He said with all your mind. ?

2012/4/17 8:12Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Jesus is saying that our thought life must be consecrated to Him, also and that the mind and heart cannot go separate ways.

No man can serve two masters. You cannot love God with your heart while your mind is imbibing all manner of sin. Besides, it is self-deception anyway. Where your heart goes your mind is right there with it and vice-versa. You cannot separate the two.

Also, the scriptures have many verses with synonyms. It happens throughout scripture. Just read Proverbs 1. You would think that the Lord is being redundant and repetitive, but actually He is the best teacher and knows that repetition is a key to good teaching and giving us understanding.

Pilgrim

2012/4/17 8:46Profile
Elibeth

Good morning,joeSOC,and everyone,

Can we look at Abram/Abraham's faith ?

What kind of faith did he have ?

I believe it was with his heart and mind.

And it is ' the True / Truth faith,.'....Abraham knew God,...he heard
God speak to him,..he believed it was the voice of God,...he obeyed.
And that is True / Truth Faith.

How many times does one's hear the voice of God,.giving instruction,...and say ah..that is not the voice of God,,...He would not require this / that,...it goes against what I wish,..it will require me to die to self ,...etc.,etc,...and we throw His Word to the ground and keep our word / judgement in the matter...
I am speaking of Faith,..it seemed,as it was with Abraham,..it is with the WHOLE heart and mind. He did not determine what he wanted to do
When God spoke,...he trusted God and obeyed.

* to love the Lord our God with all the heart,.with all the soul,.all the mind,..all our strength.

Lord HELP us, for we are poor and NEEDY !

In His love,
elizabeth

2012/4/17 9:28Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy