SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : They Shall Not Depart From Me

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
savannah

They Shall Not Depart From Me

To answer the objection of some who believe and say, "I think that there is a difference between Jesus "losing" someone or someone "walking away"." I offer the following.

And I will cut an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do good to them. But I will put My fear in their heart, that they shall not depart from Me. (LITV)

And I wyll set vp an euerlasting couenaunt with them [namely] that I wyll neuer ceasse to do them good, and that I wyll put my feare in their heartes, so that they shall not runne away from me. (Bishops' Bible 1568).

And I will make an euerlasting couenant with them, that I will not turne away from them, to doe them good, but I will put my feare in their hearts, that they shall not depart from mee. (1611 KJV)

"I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me."

"They shall not depart from me." If there were only that text in the Bible, it would suffice to prove the final perseverance of the saints: "They SHALL NOT depart from me." The salvation of those who are in covenant with God is herein provided for by an absolute promise of the omnipotent God, which must be carried out. It is plain, clear, unconditional, positive: "They shall not depart from me."

Q. Suppose a child of God should utterly depart from the Lord, and wholly lose the life of God: what then? Would he nevertheless be saved?

A. His salvation lies in the fact that he will never utterly lose the life of God. We tempt the LORD by asking what would happen in a case which can never occur. I know that it is offensive to some to speak in this manner. But herein lies the very truth of the promise of God's salvation.

If any differ on this I cannot help it; but I would ask them not to differ from the text; for the Scripture cannot be broken. Read it: "I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me." There it stands, "They shall not depart from me."

Q. By what instrumentality does God maintain this fear in the hearts of his people?

A. It is the work of the Spirit of God: the Holy Spirit usually works by means. The fear of God is kept alive in our hearts by the hearing of the Word; for faith comes by hearing, and holy fear comes through faith. Be diligent, then, in hearing the Word. That fear is kept alive in our hearts by reading the Scriptures; for as we feed on the Word, it breathes within us that fear of God which is the beginning of wisdom. This fear of God is maintained in us by the belief of revealed truth, and meditation thereon.

"God will give them a heart to fear him, Jer. 32:39. That which he requires of those whom he takes into covenant with him as his people is that they fear him, that they reverence his majesty, dread his wrath, stand in awe of his authority, pay homage to him, and give him the glory due unto his name. Now what God requires of them he here promises to work in them, pursuant to his choice of them as his people. Note, As it is God's prerogative to fashion men's hearts, so it is his promise to his people to fashion theirs aright; and a heart to fear God is indeed a good heart, and well fashioned. It is repeated (Jer.32:40): I will put my fear in their hearts, that is, work in them gracious principles and dispositions, that shall influence and govern their whole conversation. Teachers may put good things into our heads, but it is God only that can put them into our hearts, that can work in us both to will and to do."

"First, God will never leave nor forsake them: I will not turn away from them to do them good. Earthly princes are fickle, and their greatest favourites have fallen under their frowns; but God's mercy endures for ever. Whom he loves he loves to the end. God may seem to turn from this people (Isa.54:8), but even then he does not turn from doing and designing them good. Secondly, They shall never leave nor forsake him; that is the thing we are in danger of. We have no reason to distrust God's fidelity and constancy, but our own; and therefore it is here promised that God will give them a heart to fear him for ever, all days, to be in his fear every day and all the day long (Prov.23:17), and to continue so to the end of their days. He will put such a principle into their hearts that they shall not depart from him. Even those who have given up their names to God, if they be left to themselves, will depart from him; but the fear of God ruling in the heart, will prevent their departure. That, and nothing else, will do it. If we continue close and faithful to God, it is owing purely to his almighty grace and not to any strength or resolution of our own." - M.H.

"It has been written in the Prophets, They "shall" all "be taught of God." So then everyone who hears and learns from the Father comes to Me;"(John 6:45)

"And this is the Father's will who hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me, I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day." John 6:39

2012/4/15 23:56Profile
savannah

Re: They Shall Not Depart From Me

Jeremiah 32:40

And I will cut an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do good to them. But I will put My fear in their heart, that they shall not depart from Me. (LITV)

And I wyll set vp an euerlasting couenaunt with them [namely] that I wyll neuer ceasse to do them good, and that I wyll put my feare in their heartes, so that they shall not runne away from me. (Bishops' Bible 1568).

And I will make an euerlasting couenant with them, that I will not turne away from them, to doe them good, but I will put my feare in their hearts, that they shall not depart from mee. (1611 KJV)

"I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me."

God has promised that grace never shall be overthrown.

He has declared with respect to those into whose hearts He puts his fear, that they shall not depart from him, Jeremiah 32:40.

And Christ has declared that it is the will of his Father that not one of those little ones should perish, Matthew 18:14; and told us that it is his Father's will that of all which the Father hath given him he should lose nothing, John 6:39. He has promised that his sheep shall never perish, and that none shall pluck them out of his hand, John 10:28. and signifies that it is impossible that the elect should be fatally deceived, Matthew 24:24.

And it is declared in Romans 8:30 that they who are called are justified, and they who are justified are also glorified; and that nothing can separate true Christians from the love of Christ; neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord, ver. Romans 8:38–39. And it is promised that where God has begun a good work, he will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ, Philippians 1:6. And that Jesus Christ shall confirm them to the end. 1 Corinthians 1:7–9, "Waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord." And it is said of him who is born of God that his seed shall remain in him, so that he should not fall away, 1 John 3:9. And many other promises of the like nature might be mentioned.

It is promised in Psalms 37:23–24 that though a good man fall, yet shall he not be utterly cast down, because God will uphold him with his hand.

The Scripture teaches that the believer has grace and spiritual life as partaking of the life of Christ's resurrection, which is immortal, everlasting life. The Scripture teaches this, Colossians 2:12, "Ye are risen with him.". Colossians 2:13, "You hath he quickened together with him." Ephesians 2:5–6, "Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ; and hath raised us up together." Galatians 2:20, "I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." Which shows that the believer's spiritual life cannot fail. For Revelation 1:18, "I am he, that liveth and was dead; and behold, I am alive forevermore." Romans 6:9, "Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him."

Grace is that which God hath implanted in the heart against great opposition of enemies, and therefore he will doubtless maintain it there against their continued efforts to root it out. The enemies of God and the soul used their utmost endeavors to hinder grace being implanted in the heart. But God manifested his glorious, all-conquering grace in introducing it there in spite of them. And therefore will not at last suffer himself to be conquered by their expelling that which he has so brought in by his mighty power.

God will uphold true grace where he has implanted it against all the opposition which is made to it, and will never suffer it to be overthrown.

All the opposition which is made against true grace can never overthrow it. The enemies of grace in many respects may gain great advantages against it; they may exceedingly oppose it and reduce it, and bring it into such circumstances that it may seem to be brought to the very brink of utter ruin. But yet it will live. The ruin which seemed impending shall be averted. Though the roaring lion sometimes comes with open mouth, and no visible refuge appears, yet the lamb shall escape; yea, though it be in the very paw of the lion and bear, yet it shall be rescued and not devoured. Yea, though it seems to be actually swallowed down as Jonah was into the belly of the whale, yet it shall be vomited up again, and shall live. It is with grace in the heart in this respect as it was with the ark upon the water. However terrible a storm may come; yea, though it may be such as to bring a universal deluge, which shall overwhelm all other things, yet it shall not overwhelm that. Let the flood rise ever so high, yet it shall be kept above water. Though the mighty waves of it may rise above the tops of the highest mountains, yet they shall not be able to rise above this ark, but it shall still appear above water. Or as it was with the ship in which Christ was; though there arose a great storm, and the waves were high, insomuch that it seemed as if the ship would be instantly swallowed up, yea, though it was actually covered with the waves, yet it did not sink; and a good reason why it did not, Christ was in the ship. So grace in the heart is like the church6 of Israel in Egypt, and in the Red Sea and the wilderness. Though Pharaoh strove ever so much to destroy it, yet it remained and grew. And when at last he pursued with all his army and chariots and horsemen, when they were pent up by the Red Sea, and saw no way to escape, and were just on the brink of ruin, yet they did escape, and were not delivered a prey to their [[foes]]. Yea, they were preserved in passing through the very sea; when they were in the midst of the sea, the waters did not and could not overflow them. And they were preserved for a long time, even in a desolate wilderness in the midst of pits, and drought, and fiery flying serpents.

Thus as the gates of hell can never prevail against the church of Christ, so neither can they prevail against grace in the heart. The seed remaineth, and none can root it out. The fire is kept alive, even in the midst of floods of water. Though it appears oftentimes as if it were almost out, there is no flame but only a little smoke; yet the smoking flax shall not be quenched [Matthew 12:20]. And grace shall at last have victory, though it may pass through a long train of conflicts, and may suffer many disadvantages, and receive many wounds; yet it will live, and not only so but will finally prosper and prevail and triumph, and all its invaders shall be subdued under its feet. As David in the wilderness, though he was long kept in very low and distressed circumstances pursued by his potent enemies, and several times appeared on the very brink of ruin, there seemed to be but a step between him and death, when Saul encompassed him round ready to apprehend him. Yet at last he prevailed; and instead of being a fugitive in the mountains and caves of the earth, he came to sit on the throne of all Israel, and to wear the royal crown in great prosperity and glory. And like Joseph who, though he was designed for death by his brethren, and was cast into a pit by them, and then sold a slave into Egypt, and there cast into the dungeon, yet at last was exalted over the land of Egypt, and over all who had before opposed him. So it is with grace in the heart. It can never be overthrown by its enemies, and all the opposition which is made against it. And so it endures all things; it stands all shocks, and remains under all opposition.

1 Peter 1:5, "We are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation."

A little seed of grace in the heart of fallen man in the midst of so much corruption and exposed to such violent opposition against it, would be overthrown, did not God uphold it. But God will uphold it. He has undertaken to defend it from all its enemies, and to give it victory at last; and therefore it surely never shall be overthrown.
- J.E. -

2012/4/18 22:33Profile

Hi. The problem is, the verses you're using are post-second-advent when the LORD restores Israel unto Himself. The Saints are already in their glorified bodies at this time. These are the Jews that look upon Him who they pierced and mourn as for an only son - if you read all of Jer 30, 31 & 32 and the cross-references to it - such as Eze 11,36,37, etc.

Granted those "whom He foreknew", known as the elect, will not fall away. These are those who remain faithful unto the end.

Shalom!

2012/4/19 0:29

The New Covenant includes all of mankind.

The New Covenant was made Between God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. ALL OF MANKIND IS INCLUDED!!!

Col 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

2012/4/19 8:02

Re: The New Covenant includes all of mankind.

Hi Tuc. Yes, we do understand that, but Jer 32 that was in the first post was the promise to restore Israel and to their land as well. Any Jew reading those chapters in Jeremiah or Ezekiel, etc., know that is a future tense promise.
There are many flavors of Replacement Theology that came with the Reformation and I don't believe that we should appear in any way to be promoting that, if we understand that they are His Covenant people as well - Reading Romans 9-11, that are written about 'them'.
We are grafted into their Natural Olive Tree, not the other way around and "provoking to jealousy" doesn't mean, "insult or exclude" them from the promises made directly and solely to them.

Peace!

2012/4/19 10:58
rnieman

Re:

Savannah, what do you see as the purpose of the warning passages in scripture and who are they directed towards?

Russ

2012/4/19 13:30Profile

This is also included in the New Covenant

Jer. 32:40 "And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me."

God has placed this fear in my heart. This is a part of the New Covenant that includes all of mankind.

2012/4/19 13:43

Saints what do you think of this verse:

because Abraham obeyed Me and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws."
-Genesis 26:5 NASB

Abraham was given commandments, and he obeyed them. How does this tie into faith, salvation by faith, God's covenant with Abraham, etc?

2012/4/19 13:49

Re:

Quote:
Abraham was given commandments, and he obeyed them. How does this tie into faith, salvation by faith, God's covenant with Abraham, etc?

John 8:31 Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. (IF YOU REMAIN FAITHFUL – a conditional based promised)

Read on, VERSE 39 --Our father is Abraham!” they declared.
“No,” Jesus replied, “for if you were really the children of Abraham, you would follow his example.

Well, what example did Abraham set? He kept the Laws and the Commandments, all of it!

Now tie this in with revelations Revelation 22:14

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life,

(Another conditional based promised) This whole promise of eternal life is based on a CONDITION, but the god of this world has blinded the minds of the people and convinced them that you don’t have to do anything! Jesus did it all for you. It’s pitiful.

2012/4/19 15:14
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

I know far far too many Christians over the years who have departed from the Lord to believe that it is impossible to depart. Also far too many scriptures that warn about this.

JIG said: "Granted those "whom He foreknew", known as the elect, will not fall away. These are those who remain faithful unto the end."

This is true, but as stated on a previous thread, we do not 'foreknow', only God does. Therefore it is impracticable to try and apply this to yourself or anyone. Which is why I understand there are so many passages in scripture exhorting and warning us to 'continue'; 'not turn back'; 'abide in the vine'; etc.

Everyone who believes that they are elect and can never depart should take head... "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall". I Corithians 10:12

2012/4/19 16:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy