SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I'm saved, so what did Jesus save me from?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
AsliEren

Dallas, Texas

I'm saved, so what did Jesus save me from?

Anyone who struggles w/ the besetting sin of fear of what others may think please respond and add encouragement and praise reports to this. I don't think I'm the only which has this besetting sin that so easily entangles me.

I'm remembering that Leonard Ravenhill audio about him talking about those of us who say we are saved but don't have a clue what it means to say your "saved". The main sin the Lord saved me from was fear of what others may think. Man was my idol and I bowed down in my heart and lived for him and to please him.

I was walking around today after work meditating and reading scripture trying to get myself out of a tangled mess of sin.

I was trying to find out what that besetting sin was that had me once again but I was oblivious to what it was. It sometimes takes hold and eludes me as to what the sin is because it masks itself in Christian fakery. I think it away by watching a movie or doing something fun to alleviate the unsettling in my heart. It never seems to go away it always comes back and grabs me back into it from time to time.

Somewhere during the day I realized it was the sin of caring what others might think. It was this fear that had me under such a controlling bondage that everything I did whether it be religious or sin was under its power.

Today I was reminded of what my problem was only after much praise and thanksgiving to God about the cross. When the cross rose up above every idol in my life it shined down and exposed what I could not see. I kept reading and meditating on scripture and then (Bam!) I realized my sin that I was oblivious of just moments earlier. My confidence came back full force and I was able to live without fear and know the freedom again to have and give charity to others. No longer doubting I share God's love of Jesus w/ the opportunities that open themselves to me. Perfect love does cast out fear! You can believe it; God has done it in my life over and over again.

I would say neglecting reading and meditating on God's word and prayer is what caused me to forget the Lord and for my sin to come back. In a nutshell, disobedience.

2005/2/3 13:30Profile
rookie

Re: I'm saved, so what did Jesus save me from?

A brother and I were sharing with each other this morning. Our hearts were brought together by sharing how God is working in each of our lives. Thankyou for sharing your testimony this morning.

Quote:
I would say neglecting reading and meditating on God's word and prayer is what caused me to forget the Lord and for my sin to come back. In a nutshell, disobedience.

My brother and I shared the common experience that God dwells in our minds when we wake, when we work, and when we sleep. God is there to meet us, to dwell in us. This consuming relationship renews our minds daily. This consuming relationship brings times of refreshing to our hearts.

Dwell in the heavenlies and let Him consume your life daily.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/2/3 15:35Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: I'm saved, so what did Jesus save me from?

Might be picking up a different channel but for me its the power of sin.

2005/2/3 15:44Profile
AsliEren

Dallas, Texas

Re:

So everyone is on the same channel here are verses in the direction I was taking this discussion.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

1 Corinthians 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

2005/2/3 16:00Profile
StevenL

Re:

Ah, the Lord has saved me from many a besetting sin and will likely save me from many more. Praise the Lord! I know that the Lord will save you from all sin and will preserve you for His kingdom. That wonderful Cross, when truly applied to our lives, really does crucify us to the world and crucifies even the world to us. What a marvelous Truth! A Truth that can only be apprehended by the dead. Wonderful death! Lord, please bless my brothers and sisters here by turning each from his or her iniquities. Please grant us an outpouring of your mercy and your grace. Enlighten the eyes of our hearts to see what you've already accomplished for us all!

2005/2/3 17:09Profile
Voz

Re:

AMEN!

2005/2/3 17:19Profile
AsliEren

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Hbr 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.

To be open and real about it I have to lay aside the sin that so easily entangles me everyday. Am I the only one in here that battles w/ sin everyday? If so please pray for me. "The prayer of a righteous servant avails much"

2005/2/4 8:38Profile

Re:

'To be open and real about it I have to lay aside the sin that so easily entangles me everyday. Am I the only one in here that battles w/ sin everyday? If so please pray for me. "The prayer of a righteous servant avails much"'

I have times when I battle with the temptation to sin daily. It is taking me a long time to realise that, I can overcome this and it does not mean that I have reverted back to my old self but that it is just temptation and the enemy knows my weaknesses but that God never would allow me to be in a position where I would be tempted beyond what I can bear. I can honestly say that if you starve something for long enough then thehold that it has on you does die and fade away as I have found with repetitive sin. That doesn't mean to say that it doesn't come back from time to time and sometimes I feel almost like nothing has changed and that I am no different but that is not true. Sorry I am waffling a bit now but this is just what I am finding in my daily experience. I used to think that there really was no hope and that I wouldn't change but God has been very patient with me and over time (and I mean years) things have been slowly but surely getting better. I still have a long way to go but God is definately changing me and things that used to be a problem are not so much any more.

2005/2/4 9:48
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
I can honestly say that if you starve something for long enough then thehold that it has on you does die and fade away as I have found with repetitive sin.

Quote:
Sorry I am waffling a bit now but this is just what I am finding in my daily experience. I used to think that there really was no hope and that I wouldn't change but God has been very patient with me and over time (and I mean years) things have been slowly but surely getting better. I still have a long way to go but God is definately changing me and things that used to be a problem are not so much any more.

Indeed it's true gentleman. Great thread here, all your responses. The ways of the Lord, who can find them out? It does seem differently for everyone, different times and circumstances, different stages of life, past upbringings, past 'church hurts' or poor teaching that has to be 'unlearned' or even the opposite, great teaching and hard heads and hearts. Or a combination of some or none...
Talk about waffling :)

Just seems that some are 'instantaneous' others are long drawn out battles just to come to an end of ourselves and cry "uncle!"

But it does seem to boil down to ultimately heart change, win that battle or forfeit it more like and perspective begins to take over, His.

We have had some other threads here on the 'fear of man' brother. Know of this as well. It's a real goofy thing when you think about it. Why?
Like the old bit about overcoming fear of public speaking by imagining everyone in their underwear, often try and recall a skull and realize that's what we all are reduced down to behind all the maneuvering and posturing that we can get caught up in. Not that any of us are interested in '[i]lording it over anyone[/i]', but it is indeed a snare and still for all of that think we would be dishonest if we didn't say that it affects us in some varying degree...

"What will people think?"
"I'll be embarrassed"

But as you stated brother, starve it long enough and get our focus off of ourselves and onto Him and sure enough it will die more and more and not be an occasion to put on a front of bravado that isn't really there to begin with. That always seems to smack of pride anyway.

It's a blessed thing to die to all these things.
:-)

2005/2/4 10:22Profile

Re:

'But as you stated brother'

Thanks brother but I am actually sister! No offense taken though except the worrying reality that I have obviously been mistaken for a bloke!

:-D

2005/2/4 10:27

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy