Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Joyful_Heart

STOP TRUSTING IN YOURSELF

THURSDAY, APRIL 12, 2012
STOP TRUSTING IN YOURSELF
by David Wilkerson
[May 19, 1931 – April 27, 2011]

Paul did not speak of having faith until he had lost all confidence in his flesh. He took all his education, self-confidence, abilities, doctrines and zeal and cast them aside. He spoke of faith only after he had said, "I cannot trust my flesh." The same is true for us.

Before anyone is capable of true faith, he must come to a sense of how lost, helpless and utterly hopeless he is. We do not have saving faith until we come to the end of believing that someone or something other than Jesus can save us.

Saving, justifying faith involves submitting your life to Christ with all your heart. It includes a repentance that says, "Jesus, I have got nothing to offer You. I come to submit to Your lordship!"

In Romans 10:9, Paul characterizes saving faith as believing with your heart and confessing with your mouth. He is saying that faith is more than merely giving mental assent. Rather, it is submitting your whole life to Him — with all your heart.

In Acts 8:37, Philip said to the eunuch, "If thou believest with all thine heart . . ." and the eunuch replied, "I believe. . . ." This was not simply a mental "yes" to Jesus — he really believed with all his heart and he was saved.

In contrast, Simon Magus believed Paul's preaching. Yet he had only a temporary faith because his heart was not in it. Indeed, multitudes of people in Jesus' day believed temporarily in the name of Christ, but Jesus would not commit Himself to them because He knew their hearts were not fully committed (see John 2:23-24).

So, you ask, who is truly justified by faith? It is the one who knows he is lost and helpless and he has tried everything and failed. Now he commits his whole life into the Lord's hands — with all his heart, mind, soul and strength. He cries out, "Lord, I am Yours! You are my only hope." And he is saved!

2012/4/12 13:18Profile

Re: STOP TRUSTING IN YOURSELF

Quote:
Paul did not speak of having faith until he had lost all confidence in his flesh.

This first line sums up a lot in regards to the other discussion on can we lose our salvation. If we think our salvation depends on us not falling away or our own perseverance... we are depending on our own flesh.

I might as well quit right now because I cant do it... unless GOD does it for me.

It's all of God.

Krispy

2012/4/12 13:25
pilgrim777

Re:

Quote:
So, you ask, who is truly justified by faith? It is the one who knows he is lost and helpless and he has tried everything and failed. Now he commits his whole life into the Lord's hands — with all his heart, mind, soul and strength. He cries out, "Lord, I am Yours! You are my only hope." And he is saved!

This man is not being passive. He is finally yielding to the Lord and submitting himself to God's ways instead of his own. He is choosing to follow the Lord and not his own imaginations, anymore.

Nothing passive about this at all.

I have known men that have become completely passive spiritually saying they cannot do anything and so they don't, waiting for God to operate their hands and feet and essentially their whole man.

There are some things that God wants us to do. (Most of these are verbs).

Abide
Joh 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

Yield
Rom 6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

Submit
Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Resist
Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Obey
Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Follow
John 10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

Tune your ears to Him
Heb 3:7 Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,

Harden not thy heart
Heb 4:7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Sin not
1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Keep His word
1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

Do not hate
1Jn 2:11 But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.

Keep yourselves in God's love
Jude 1:21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Walk after the Spirit
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Walk in good works
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Walk in Love
Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

And on and on it goes...(I am just scratching the surface).

God will not do these things for you, but He will give you grace so that you can do what He has commanded you to do.

Having no confidence in the flesh does not mean that we wait for God to take over our spirit, soul, mind and body.

At the young age of 22, Jackie Pullinger understood this along with many Saints that God used to build the Kingdom of God.

The dogmas of men have rendered much of the church lifeless and passive. Let's be clear when we are talking about what we mean by "we cannot do anything".

Yes, "unless the Lord builds the house they that labor, labor in vain", so we build according to His leading, His commands to us, His direction.

Without His life in you, none of this is possible. The Christian life is not an imitation of Christ, but an indwelling of Christ where His life is lived out through us in cooperation with Him.

Pilgrim

2012/4/12 17:07Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy