SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can we lose our salvation? Let's ask the "Prince of Preachers"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread

Can we lose our salvation? Let's ask the "Prince of Preachers"

Interesting quotes from Charles Spurgeon about losing our salvation....

"If anybody said he had eternal life and lost it, he would be flatly contradicting himself. It could not be eternal, or else he must still have it."

"Further, if Christ had intended to cast us away because of our sins, why did he ever take us on?"

"True, we are unworthy, but we always were, and if you did want a reason for leaving us you have had ten thousand reasons long ago."

"If he had meant to cast you away he would have done so long ago. If he wanted reasons for rejecting you he had reasons from all eternity, for he knew what you would be. No sin in you has been a surprise to him."

"If believers are lost, God loses more than they do, for he loses his honour, he loses his character for truthfulness, and the glory of his name is tarnished."

Enjoy,
Krispy

2012/4/10 14:02
Sree

Re: Can we lose our salvation? Let's ask the "Prince of Preachers"

All these quotes are true and they are applicable to a Christian who thinks that he has lost his salvation because of his sin. There is no sin that Blood of Jesus cannot cleanse. But these quotes cannot be used by a man as a license for Sin thinking that his sins are already forgiven. Such quotes are like fire; if they are in right hand it can be used in a constructive way but in wrong hands can result in destruction.

Christians can be deceived in two ways which can be compared to two sides of a coin. One side of Christians get into an unbelief that their sins are so bad that they cannot be forgiven and another side are people who think that all their sins are forgiven so they can live a fleshly life. Both are deceived and the medicine for one (verse or quote) can be poison to another.

Please do not ask can Christian be deceived?
Matthew 24:24-For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the ELECT.

2012/4/10 14:21Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

You cannot lose your salvation like losing/misplacing your wife.

But you can fall away. The Bible talks about falling away. Falling away from what?

One can fall away from his wife or husband (divorce).

It is not the Lord's fault that one chooses to fall away.

He that endures to the end will be saved.

2Pe 3:17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

Did you know this was in the Bible?

According to God's Word, it is possible to:

let the things which you have heard slip (Heb. 2:1)
go astray (Mt. 18:12,13)
err from the faith (1 Tim. 6:10,21)
err from the faith and overthrow the faith of others (2 Tim. 2:18)
lose your savour (saltiness) (Lk. 14:34,35)
be offended by Jesus (Mt. 11:6; Mk. 14:27,29)
fall away from grace (Gal. 5:4)
believe for awhile but in time of temptation fall away (Lk. 8:13)
be offended, betray one another and hate one another (Mt. 24:10)
have your faith shipwrecked (1 Tim. 1:19)
turn back and no longer follow Jesus (Jn. 6:66)
forsake the right way and go astray (2 Pet. 2:15)
stop abiding in Christ and as a branch, be withered and thrown away (Jn. 15:6)
be offended (Jn. 16:1)
turn aside after Satan (1 Tim. 5:15)
depart from the faith, having your conscience seared with a hot iron (1 Tim. 4:1-2)
turn your ears away from the truth and turn unto fables (2 Tim. 4:4)
acquire an evil heart of unbelief and depart from the living God (Heb. 3:12)
fall away to the point where you can’t be renewed to repentance (Heb. 6:6)
refuse Him that speaketh from heaven (Heb. 12:25)
become lukewarm and get spit out of the body of Christ (Rev. 3:15,16)
not remain faithful and be hurt by the second death (Rev. 2:10,11)
have God take away your part from the tree of life and in the holy city (Rev. 22:19)
be led away with the error of the wicked and fall from your steadfastness (2 Pet 3:17)
be carried away by all kinds of strange doctrines (Heb. 13:9)

Pilgrim

2012/4/10 14:43Profile

Re:

First off, just because some people misapply the doctrine of eternal security does not make it any less true. Those who would believe they can live any ol' way they wish and still be saved have yet to actually be saved. They have not repented.

Secondly, the version of the Bible you're quoting from is incorrect. More reliable versions say: "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect."

"if it were possible" inplies that the deception is going to be so strong that "if it were possible" even the elect would be deceived. But it's not possible. This is a literary usage to make a point.

This is what John Gill in his commentary said:

IF IT WERE POSSIBLE:

"But by the elect are meant, a select number of particular persons of Adam's posterity, whom God, of his sovereign goodwill and pleasure, without respect to their faith, holiness, and good works, has chosen, in Christ, before the foundation of the world, both to grace and glory: and to deceive these finally and totally, is impossible, as is here suggested; not impossible, considering their own weakness, and the craftiness of deceivers, who, if left to themselves, and the power of such deception, and the working of Satan with all deceivableness of unrighteousness, might easily be seduced; but considering the purposes and promises of God concerning them, the provisions of his grace for them, the security of them in the hands of Christ, and their preservation by the mighty power of God, their final and total deception is not only difficult, but impossible."

This verse actually bolsters the doctrine of eternal security! It does nothing to undermine it. More modern versions have taken out "it where" from the statement "if it were possible"... to make it "if possible". The first one is correct, and has always been translated that way until sometime in the 1900's. Not only is this new translation not true to the original language, but it also contradicts Bible doctrine, and other verses such as John 10:28,29.

Krispy

2012/4/10 14:45

Re:

Pilgrim... there is a very simple answer for why some fall away: They were never saved to begin with.

That is in keeping with 1 John 2:19:

"They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us."

All the verses you quoted are true... and are perfectly explained by scripture.

They were never saved.

Krispy

2012/4/10 14:48
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I will not enter into this discussion and encourage you to continue on with caution.

As for the topic i see many Scripture supports both sides, I have not made up my mind yet where I stand. One scripture you may want to further look at Krispy is in 2 Peter verse 1

It says tehre quote "...even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction" later it says their destruction does not slumber.

Now this one phrase "the Lord who bought them"

It seem to say they where bought with the blood of Christ and later they end up in destruction.

I love Spurgeon and the other reformed writers and would recommend anyone to read them any day, but for me we need look first at scripture in its fullness.

And atleast for me when going to the scriptures i see both to be true, in one sense we can not Lose our salvation, in another i see it is not impossible and actually many many passages and verses seem to imply once we are saved we should work on our salvation with fear and trembling. etc etc and all the warnings in scripture would seem useless if there where no possibility at all for us to not ever lose our salvation.

I do not know nor trying to convince anyone what to believe or what scripture says in this matter, just that we all study and pray and maybe God will shed light on this for us.

And again a cautious warning to keep this thread upbuilding and edifying for all who read. We are a testimony to the world with our word and wording.

brother Christian

2012/4/10 14:56Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Don't touch your TV dial, we are in control.

You are now entering the realm of the dogma zone.

See ya on another thread.

Pilgrim

2012/4/10 15:03Profile

Re:

Quote:
I will not enter into this discussion and encourage you to continue on with caution.

Noted, my friend... this discussion can be had without hostilities breaking out. :-)

Krispy

2012/4/10 15:04

Re:

Quote:
we are in control

lol... I'm glad I am NOT in control of things! You should be too!

Krispy

2012/4/10 15:05
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I know Krispy, its just a have many occasions where myself have been "sucked in" but i am convinced Brothers in Christ can speak, discuss and share scriptures without becoming a shootout with scriptural ammunition and just edify and stir one another up to study more fervent to know him and his word and to edify one another and build ourselves up in the most holy faith. of this i am convinced and i pray we would see that more and more

2012/4/10 15:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy