Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Water Baptism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE: "However, the other way to approach it is this... all believers are allowed to baptize unless there is a specific scriptural mandate barring them from doing so."--SOLOMON101

Hmm. You got me thinking here with this comment. That is thought-provoking. However, there is no direct scripture against suicide either, does that make suicide ok?

I won't mind baptizing someone as long as i am not committing sin by doing so. I have been asked by the person (male) to do so. My next concern for that is if i am spiritually mature enough. These are the things which have prevented me from agreeing to doing the baptism and now he has gone 3 years without being baptized because all the pastors and other people we asked to baptize him all made their excuses: they would only do it a certain time of year and a certain time of day--early morning(which he is unable to be there for due to disabling health reasons i wont go into; too long a story). One pastor refused to baptize him because he wants his weekends free to work out in the gym and walk around town, and so on and so forth. No excitement about welcoming a new soul into the Kingdom of God, no. Maybe i will just go ahead and do it in the end just out of sheer frustration...

P.S. The thought of having a female pastor baptize ME would totally repulse me. When i got saved (alone) i went around from church to church seeking someone to baptize me and the first one i tried was a Lutheran church and a male pastor there referred me to their female pastor who sat down with me to discuss it: she told me the church does not believe in baptism by immersion, only by sprinkling. Well i wanted to do it the BIBLICAL way. She next told me she did not even believe in a literal Heaven and Hell! That's when i knew i was out of there. Those people don't even think logically, they are fools and heretics. If there is not a literal Heaven&Hell then Jesus would not have needed to come down here and die on the cross for anyone.

2012/4/10 3:09Profile
jochbaptist

Re:

In “I dared to call Him Father”, Bilquis Sheikh testifies how she baptized herself, when the available “believers” failed to see the spiritual significance and urgency for her to be baptized …………… A blessed book to read.

quote-
Hmm. You got me thinking here with this comment. That is thought-provoking. However, there is no direct scripture against suicide either, does that make suicide ok?
end quote-

How about - Thou shalt not kill? Is that not "direct" enough for you?

2012/4/10 3:44Profile
roadsign

Re:

I've never encountered…
I find no such case…
So i am against…
just my gut feeling….
a feeling of being repelled…
It just seems innately wrong to me…
it just seems odd….

Brother, why so much verbiage that arises from your own center of perspective? I confess, simply by reading your posts, it seems that you are seeking in scripture something far less than it offers you – or rather, that God offers you. You may wish to study the comparison between John’s baptism, and the Spirit’s baptism – and compare that with your expectations of baptism.

Here’s a question: What if you do find just the “right” person to baptize you – the one who does not uproot your “gut feelings” or is not condescending for you? How will that be better for you? Consider when John preached baptism, how repulsive and condescending it was to his listeners. Baptism – in its true function, confronts pride to the core.

It may also be worth considering why your baptism is so contingent on the spiritual qualifications of the baptizer – as you see it. What about 1 Corinthians 1:12-14

"Some of you are saying, “I am a follower of Paul.” Others are saying, “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Peter,[a]” or “I follow only Christ.”
Has Christ been divided into factions? Was I, Paul, crucified for you? Were any of you baptized in the name of Paul? Of course not! I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius …" NLT

May CHRIST himself be your ultimate baptizer – by the baptism by his fire.

PS EDIT: What about considering the possibility of being a testimony of true humble repentance even to the person whom God may chose as the one to baptize you?

Diane

2012/4/10 9:04Profile

Re:

jochbaptist wrote: "In “I dared to call Him Father”, Bilquis Sheikh testifies how she baptized herself, when the available “believers” failed to see the spiritual significance and urgency for her to be baptized …………… A blessed book to read."

That's truly neat. Thank you for answering. It seemed alright to me, as that thought had come to mind, but wanted to share it.
Thank you! I'll pray the LORD bring me the book to read. Appreciate the contribution!

2012/4/10 11:27
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE: "How about - Thou shalt not kill? Is that not "direct" enough for you?"--JOCHBAPTIST

Actually no, it's not. Did not David war & kill? Did not Samson kill? Did not Samson also commit (kamikazi style) suicide? So obviously killing is sometimes accepted.

ROADSIGN, Please pay better attention to what you read. I am NOT looking for someone to baptize me. Secondly, the idea of baptizing one's own self is the silliest thing i ever heard, no offense. The whole reason behind baptism is NOT to have a ritual to perform but rather to witness to the world that one has become a Believer. If there is no one around to witness it then what is the point? We are NOT saved by being baptized, for it is not by works, lest any man should boast.

My motives in asking the original question are pure: i am seeking only to obey the Lord and be doctrinally sound.

2012/4/11 4:11Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
to witness to the world that one has become a Believer

Trekker, You are right. My apologies about my overly hasty post! Really it’s wonderful that you wish to uphold your testimony in this step of baptism, and you are carefully thinking about it. By waiting on the Lord you leave room for him to work, and to go before you and open the door for his glory. And he will!

You’ve raised some questions for me: In scripture how is baptism taught and practiced as a form of testimony to the world? How does our own world see it today – those inside or outside of the church?

Another thought: A missionary friend of mine explained that in her area of ministry, people’s conversion was not taken seriously until they are baptized. Baptism proved their resolve to renounce their past religion. This is when persecution would begin.

But in our culture it seems different. If baptism is a testimony of one’s unquestioned resolve to follow Christ, how is it that so many who have been baptized do not show further evidence in their lives, or they eventually leave the church entirely? Perhaps other actions speak louder as a testimony – like simplifying your life style, your possessions, moving to a poorer district in town, changing your job, friends, etc….. In that way you literally prove that you have washed yourself from a former way of life. Of course, that’s not to deny the ritual of baptism. I just think that in general our churches today would do better to consider more seriously the implications of Christ’s baptism. Instead, the ritual seems often to have greater value in the life of a church.

Not to detract you from your desire to obey God – just to add more food for thought.

Diane

2012/4/11 7:51Profile
jochbaptist

Re:

quote-
So obviously killing is sometimes accepted.
end quote-

Murdering someone is different from killing an enemy. King David commited both, but was judged by God for the first mentioned only.

Baptism is an outward declaration of an inward reality, and a Mystery. Never intended as a witness to the world, - where do you get that from? In Acts believers were baptized after they believed, without any witnesses from the world.

Brother, I feel that your "head" is in the way ....

(edit)

sorry

Sister, I feel that your "head" is in the way ....

Phew... that was close. Fortunately I read your take on John Whane...

2012/4/11 12:06Profile
MaryJane

Re: to Diane

Diane you wrote:But in our culture it seems different. If baptism is a testimony of one’s unquestioned resolve to follow Christ, how is it that so many who have been baptized do not show further evidence in their lives, or they eventually leave the church entirely?

Very interesting question. I wonder do you think the answer lies in the fact that some churches today spend little time discipling? Some only require you to say a pray and then you are told your saved with little contact from other believers on a daily bases to see if there is fruit produced. I know the first time I was baptized the people involved did not even know me,(literally they didn't know my name even) let alone know anything about my standing with the Lord not surprisingly it would be another 6 years before I truly came to understand what it meant to repent of my sins and surrender my life to JESUS as LORD.

Personally I do think baptism is taken to lightly in some churches today. I feel being baptized has everything to do with obeying and submitting my life unto the LORD JESUS!!

Anyway very thought provoking thought you shared thank you.
God Bless
mj

2012/4/11 12:40Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy