SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : This Man Jesus and His Lusts! What??

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

This Man Jesus and His Lusts! What??

I've taken this quote from the obama thread and because my post went into the direction of another theme I thought it better to start a new thread.

The word 'lust' means 'intense desire' for someone or something. In our society we only see it as sexual and the word has been abused considerably, very much like the word 'gay'. Israel lusted in the wilderness, we automatically assume that they were sexually involved in perverse activity, but the scriptures tells us their lusting was after food. If we could turn that word back to it's original meaning we could use it in our everyday vernacular saying, "I have a lustful desire to serve God". Even when we look at that sentence, our minds spring up all kinds of images that may or may not be good. So we have to change it to suit the time we live in and not use it at all.

The title of this thread speaks of the old way the word should be used. We could say Jesus had an intense desire to do the will of God. Or we could say, Jesus had a lust to do the will of God. It's not possible to change our minds on the subject, perhaps in a couple of hundred years as the language changes the manner in which this word is used today will have evolved into something else, but for now it's probably best not to use it.

Brother Tom said:

Quote:
This was done in FAITH, by accepting that royal cup of death, by a "YOUR WILL NOT MINE!" Spirit of obedience, yes even unto death. It is foolishness to believe otherwise.

Disobedience is sin and our Lord did not disobey. If we take away the fear, we take away the fact that Christ was a man. When Jesus was in the wilderness being tempted the scriptures says that after 40 days of fasting He became hungry. He was a man who wanted to eat but wasn't willing to give up His birthright so easily, He endure it. To further Christ humanity James tells us, 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for GOD CANNOT BE TEMPTED WITH EVIL, neither tempteth He any man 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Look at that for a moment, the eyes of our understanding are being enlightened at this very moment.

Look at verse 14, Jesus was tempted because He had some lusts. "Afterward He was hungry". Intense hunger is a lust an intense desire if you will. So the devil tempts Him in that area. Amazing!

Another lust that Jesus KNEW about Himself was that He had power, He had just received the Holy Spirit. So the devil tempted Him to throw Himself off the temple. I remember a Sister who has gone on to be with the Lord many years ago once said, "when I received the Holy Spirit, I knew that I had power".

Another lust was the fact that Christ would inherit all things, Jesus was tempted in His ability to rule. But He endured all of it and was approved of God.

I never saw that before, WOW!

2012/4/8 9:51

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy