SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How to Bind the Strong Man?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

How to Bind the Strong Man?

I have listened to an incredible message from my pastor with the title of the sermon being "How to Bind the Strong Man." I'll be happy to share my views a bit later but how does this happen in your life?

I was wondering was the view of the SI folks were regarding how the strong man is to be bound. Here's the scripture from Matthew 12:29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

2005/2/2 12:09Profile
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re: How to Bind the Strong Man?

Submission is what first comes to my mind re how to be/get/stay strong, and unbound. My pride is such a weakening flaw, but in my weakness, He is made strong...

2005/2/2 13:24Profile
Spitfire

Spiritual warfare. One of my favorite topics. I feel like a Mary Magdelene. God has taught me how to free myself through repentance and renunciation. Good example: I used to be dependent on prescription painkillers which I abused just because they made me feel happy for a few hours. I abused them for close to 20 years. I believe the strong man was bound by me repenting of the idolatry associated with it. I repented of my rebellion because I would rather take a pill than turn to God. I repented for my ancestors for the similar things. I cried to God for mercy and I renounced my association with it. I believe renouncing things in one's heart is really important. It means that we are turning away from these things in our hearts. I then declare to God what is true and right..."Father, I just declare that you have become my all in all. I declare that you are my source of strength and I will not follow after any other..." This method, I believe, has been the most helpful in bringing me to freedom. Love, Dian.

2005/2/2 13:52Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Hi mloaks,

Quote:
My pride is such a weakening flaw, but in my weakness, He is made strong..

This is such a great truth. I learned this after years of stumbling through this Christian life. Although I wrote a book titled "Ten Keys To Total Victory" and distributed it on a local level, I reached a point where I despaired of any real victory over sin and this world.

After a while I noticed a pattern. When ever I would walk in victory for a certain period of time I would get real pharisiacal and puffed up. In no time I was flat of my back or overwhelmed by the enemy. What happened? God resisteth the proud but giveth grace unto the humble. It's amazing how long our nose can become in just a short time of personal revival. We start looking down it at those 'wretched sinners.' We forget we was just like them 6 months ago or 2 years ago. and in that, we violate Galatians 6:1 and other passages. I give a personal testimony in the lesson "The Love We had At First."

If we can walk in humility in the times of victory we will have victory. there is no other way. For God resisteth the proud and giveth grace unto the humble.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/2/2 14:21Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Yes, I love this verse. If I'm proud God resists me. The God of the universe. It's a terrifying thought.

I thought I had to bound the strong man myself but discovered many years ago that I didn't have the power to do so. Jesus has the power to bind the strong man and will do so and we abide in him with specific acts of obedience. That's the jist of the message.

So for example, if the Holy Spirit told me not to eat chocolate let's say then Jesus would bind the strong man in that particular area of my life. (Note: I'm not saying not eat chocolate. But Jesus may tell you to abstain from it if you're seeking gratification from the food rather than from his presence.) If I don't abide in Jesus and disobey, then the strong man is not bound and lots of problems with my relationship with Jesus and otherwise will occur.

That's a real brief synposis of the message.

2005/2/2 16:51Profile
alanrepent

the strong man has already been bound brethren.

2005/2/2 17:37Profile
dohzman

Re:Consider

The pharisee 's here knew what Jesus was saying here when he used this phrase "by whom do your sons cast them out?"It was common pratice in that day to exercise , or at least try to exercise demons from people. The whole Idea here ,is I believe , spiritual warfare from the advantage point of The Kingdom of God. Here's what I mean. The victory is already won , the promised land has already been given to Israel, However - that doesn't relieve us of our duty to self deniel in prayer and intercession to see the full manifestation of that victory, in the same way that Israel had to go in and possess the land. Through pray with fasting we go in and possess the land or the release of those held captive by satan. One might ask -- what about all the missionaries who have been faithful and have seen no fruit or souls won to Jesus? Thier labors are not invain, as the scriptures say , but with the eyes of faith they embrace the reward and they will see in heaven the results of thier obedient sacrifices!In the same way we will also if we faint not. We walk by faith not by sight.

2005/2/2 22:14Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy