SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is a Carnal Christian?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: A quick answer is that there is no such thing as a carnal Christian. A "carnal Christian" is someone who calls themself a Christian, but has not truly repented.

Paul Washer AKA The angry watchman

Beware of the Angry Watchman

http://media.sermonindex.net/16/SID16289.mp3

2012/4/4 13:54Profile

Re:

The Angry Watchman?

I dont have time to listen to a sermon on this... can you explain briefly what this means? And why you're issuing a warning about Paul Washer? You do realize Paul Washer was a featured speaker at a fairly recent SermonIndex conference, right?

Krispy

2012/4/4 14:05
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: What is a Carnal Christian?

Lamb99

Quote from Sree

Quote:
A Carnal Christian is someone who lives according to the flesh and does not find the need to repent, but he/she still calls themselves as Christian.

I would like to use Sree's definition with a little amendment. The term carnal simply means fleshy or of the flesh. In 1 Cor. 1-3 Paul addresses a letter to saints who he calls "sanctified" or set apart wholly unto God. Yet he identifies behavior in them that originates in their flesh that is counter to that which is of the Spirit of God. He tells sanctified believers that they are carnal because of their sectarian factions that have arisen from following and revering men.

In Romans 8, Paul addresses walking after the spirit vs. walking after the flesh. If we walk after the flesh, even as believers, that is by definition carnality and we could at that point be called carnal.

So I wholeheartedly agree with the the fact that a carnal Christian is one who lives according to the flesh, but many believers who are walking carnally in one or several areas of their live do have hearts to repent when they are shown their carnality.

Over the past week I was worried greatly over a situation. This worry interfered with my communion with God. I am told in the word that I am not to worry and that I am to cast my care upon Him, but I did not. In that sense I was walking carnally. I have had to repent of that worry and cast that care on the Lord, even though it has not been an easy thing to do.

Hope that perspective helps and I echo the welcome to SI.

2012/4/4 15:08Profile

Re:

It occurred to me this afternoon that the question here really originated from a question about a term used in a sermon... and so far we have 3 or 4 slightly different definitions of "carnal Christian".

I think the original poster needs to ask his pastor what he meant by it. It really is kind of pointless for us to debate what that term means when none of our opinions on it matter... the only thing that matters is what did the pastor mean in the context of his sermon.

Krispy

2012/4/4 15:25

Re:

"I think the original poster needs to ask his pastor what he meant by it. It really is kind of pointless for us to debate what that term means when none of our opinions on it matter... the only thing that matters is what did the pastor mean in the context of his sermon."

Actually, the only thing that matters is what the bible teaches on the subject.

The fact is, there is such a thing as a Carnal Christian because Paul uses that term in Corinthians. It may not fit within peoples theological box, but then again, I'm not sure the Word of God can be reduced to totally fit within any theological framework.

2012/4/4 15:35

Re:

My point is the pastor has a particular point he is trying to get across... and so the question needs to be asked of him what he meant so that this gentleman can understand his pastor's point.

I appreciate your thoughts on this, and naturally I agree with you... but you missed my point completely.

Krispy

2012/4/4 15:42
Lamb99

Re:

My pastor was saying that these scriptures (below) are often used to justify "Carnal Christianity." The sermon was about being a Christian in general and what that is and is not. It was I who wanted a definition of what carnal Christianity was because I had never heard the term and I had no idea what the concept was either so his reference to this passage wasn't clear to me during the sermon. It makes sense now.

Romans 7:14-25
New International Version (NIV)

14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[a] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

2012/4/4 16:29Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: What is a Carnal Christian?

Quote: It seems to me now that everything is "carnal" so does that make us all carnal Christians in some respect? Is it carnal to have a nice home and a nice car etc. or is carnal referring to something else?

No, it is not carnal to have a nice home and a nice car.

A carnal Christian is one who is saved but has not left the pleasures of the flesh behind for a life with Christ; loving Christ but not having matured or trusting in Christ to take care of your flesh. Being a Christian (whether married or single), and continuing in bedding every man or woman that you come into contact with.

What if you had a job that required that you told little white lies? Would you stay with the job after getting saved or would you continue to trust in the money that you get for lying?

Carnality is not trusting in Christ and can encompass many facets in our life not just the sexual aspect (though many fail in that area because no one hardly talks about sex in the church).

I hope that helps. God bless,
Sister Lisa

2012/4/4 17:15Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: 3 or 4 slightly different definitions of "carnal Christian"

Slightly different that's a understatement..

2012/4/4 17:40Profile
Lamb99

Re:

Sister Lisa:

Thank you for responding to this quote. I was still trying to make sense of the term "carnal" and I see that I was using the concept of "worldliness" to try and figure things out that's why I was questioning whether having worldly possessions like a nice house/car was the same as being carnal. I see now that being carnal is a deeper concept.

2012/4/4 17:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy