SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How to celebrate Easter with a 20 month old?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dvndsn

Kentucky

How to celebrate Easter with a 20 month old?

Just as it says, how do you all recommend I celebrate Easter with my 20 month old son and wife? I've done some research, but the more the better! Thanks so much!

2012/4/3 12:14Profile
roadsign

Re: How to celebrate Easter with a 20 month old?

One of the joys of living in the New Covenant is that we are free from the need to observe special days.

Why not simply enjoy the day as any other? Your child will not know that anything is "missing". Soon enough he will discover the trappings.

Enjoy the Lord! And your child will soon learn to discern the authentic expression of the faith from what is imposed.

Alive, alive, my Jesus is alive!

Diane

2012/4/3 14:23Profile

Re:

dvndsn...

You will find two camps here. One that will share with you how their families celebrate days like Easter and Christmas, and those who will share with you why they believe you should avoid an observance at all of any holidays.

While I say celebrate it… do it as unto the Lord, Diane does have a good point in that we are free to not feel obligated to observe it.

Whatever you decide to do, keep Christ in the center of it. If you want to paint eggs, paint eggs. The activity is not evil in itself. Your child might have a ball doing it, and you get to eat egg salad sandwiches for the next couple of days. (I love egg salad sandwiches!)

If you have not already, set a precedent of reading the Word of God with your spouse and children. Even at that age you would be surprised at what they pick up, and it’s solid gold letting them see you reading the Word.

Someone is bound to come on here and insist that you shouldn’t celebrate Easter… do with that what you will. You are free to celebrate, and free not to. Those who will beg you not to will attach a lot of law to it.

You do as the Lord leads and keep Him in the center of it… and He will bless it.

Krispy

2012/4/3 16:03

Re: How to celebrate Easter with a 20 month old?

by dvndson

"Just as it says, how do you all recommend I celebrate Easter with my 20 month old son and wife? I've done some research, but the more the better!"

I would go to McDonalds with a play land, and let everyone relax and party. Make it a tradition and when he comes of age to understand the Cross and Resurrection...then speak the Truth to him. An easter egg hunt is ok too, for all things are pure to the pure.

Let him know for sure that the easter bunny is a lie, as is santa...and that God alone gives good gifts unto men.

my counsel...Tom

2012/4/3 16:18

Re:

Santa is a lie? ...thanks. You just ruined it for me!

Krispy

2012/4/3 16:24
dvndsn

Kentucky

Re:

I figured I would get the two camps message. We are not doing the Easter Bunny, and we are not doing Santa Clause either. I would be content with just observing the last 24 hrs of Jesus life through Scripture with my family. We already have readings in place every night before he goes to bed. We sing with him as well too. He knows more signs than he does words, so he can say "Amen" and he knows to hold hands and pray before every meal. We are instilling these things in him while he is young, but I really want to make Easter a special holiday for my family. I really want to emphasize Christ on the cross.
My pastor this past Sunday emphasized how we know Christ rose from the dead 3 days after He died, but for the Apostles and others, they just did not get it. He said once we get around the fact we know He is going to raise up from the dead, His death will mean so much more. This is what I want to teach my son. At such an early age, I just feel that celebrations such as this should be started early and kept. I have flubbed Christmas messages, but he's starting to get older now and I really want him to understand why we celebrate the things we do.

2012/4/3 17:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy