SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : what is worldly living?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
onemite

Re: what is worldly living?

There are So many wonderful verses that apply, but I think that if the person who posed the question is a diligent seeker of God, continuing in learning the person of Jesus and all he taught, the Holy Spirit will lead that person away from worldliness. Jesus said we cannot serve two masters, we will love one and despise the other. We also read that the love of money is the root of all evil... not the money but the affection for it.

As I think about your question of "what is worldly living" I think that it is scriptural to say that it is everything that we can set our affections on and use to stand on or lean on- that give us a sense of worth or satisfaction that will not endure on the Day of the Lord. The lust of the eyes, the pride of life... It can easily be clothes and cars, mocha lattes etc... but getting rid of those things without an inner conviction would be a dead work.
Which leads me to wonder if it is even possible to daily take up our cross and crucify our flesh and still remain worldly.

Good topic!
onemite

2012/3/29 15:46Profile
MaryJane

Re:

onemite wrote:As I think about your question of "what is worldly living" I think that it is scriptural to say that it is everything that we can set our affections on and use to stand on or lean on- that give us a sense of worth or satisfaction that will not endure on the Day of the Lord. The lust of the eyes, the pride of life... It can easily be clothes and cars, mocha lattes etc... but getting rid of those things without an inner conviction would be a dead work.
Which leads me to wonder if it is even possible to daily take up our cross and crucify our flesh and still remain worldly.
_________

I was thinking after reading over what some of the others have shared here that maybe there is no one size fits all definition for what is "worldly living??"

As Krispy mentioned to some not wearing a tie is "worldly living" while to others it may be something else. I know of one christian who felt convicted after a time for spending so much time working in her garden, she adored her flower beds and took great pride in having them look really nice. She mentioned that the hobby of gardening had become a very worldly thing for her.

God bless
mj

2012/3/29 16:15Profile
jochbaptist

Re:

Very blessed what you said MrBillPro....

For me, there are 2 opposites that compete for our hearts (or rather where our hearts draw fulfillment from). If we set our heart on the world, then that is where our treasure will be.

The divine antidote for the love of the world is ...... the love of the FATHER.

I once saw a coming of age film, where the boy started patterns of self-destruction to deal with the traumatic events that occurred in his life. This cycle of decay was suddenly stopped when his father, out of concern and despair, grabbed the boy and held him tightly to his chest. There, in the safety of his father's embrace, all the tumult in his heart ceased.

The world will always draw those into bondage, who do not know the Love of the Father, and have His Love IN them, namely ... Jesus.

15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man loves the world, the LOVE OF THE FATHER is not IN him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the FATHER, but is of the world.

2012/3/29 16:43Profile

Today I looked through this week's sales flyers to know where to shop tomorrow.
I saw in the Dept store that they had a photo of a Zumba Video and it got me thinking of that church we discussed before. I remembered they'd have videos that would be titled " __________ For Jesus"
I wasn't thinking about this thread but thought that may be a good way to test things.
Could I say "Zumba For Jesus" or "Kick-boxing For Jesus" or "Watching This Movie For Jesus" or "Looking At This Website For Jesus" ... like the title of the video that I think that The LORD has of my life.
He does erase things off of it as I confess those things and is faithful and just to forgive and to cleanse from unrighteousness.

My thoughts then went to this verse - 1Co 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

I just imagined that thinking over our actions as a 'Video Title' for each, made it easier to decide if what we're doing is from Him - but it depends on the person, I suppose. How deep they are relationally with Him and how exercised their conscience is by The Word.

GOD Bless you, Mary.

2012/3/29 19:48
2Samuel14_14

From C.H. Spurgeon, Morning & Evenings, June 27 (morning)

"... the world loves not the non-conformity of nonconformity, or the dissidence of dissent, it would have us be more charitable and not carry matters with too severe a hand. Death to the world, and burial with Christ, are experiences which carnal minds treat with ridicule, and hence the ordinance which sets them forth is almost universally neglected, and even contemned."

"Worldly wisdom recommends the path of compromise, and talks of "moderation." According to this carnal policy, purity is admitted to be very desirable, but we are warned against being too precise; truth is of course to be followed, but error is not to be severely denounced. "Yes," says the world, "be spiritually minded by all means, but do not deny yourself a little gay society, an occasional ball, and a Christmas visit to a theatre. What's the good of crying down a thing when it is so fashionable, and everybody does it?" Multitudes of professors yield to this cunning advice, to their own eternal ruin."

"If we would follow the Lord wholly, we must go right away into the wilderness of separation, and leave the Egypt of the carnal world behind us. We must leave its maxims, its pleasures, and its religion too, and go far away to the place where the Lord calls His sanctified ones. When the town is on fire, our house cannot be too far from the flames. When the plague is abroad, a man cannot be too far from its haunts. The further from a viper the better, and the further from worldly conformity the better. To all true believers let the trumpet-call be sounded, "Come ye out from among them, be ye separate."

2012/3/29 21:07Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, worldly living is something that others do.

2012/3/29 21:35Profile

Re:

No, not really jimp... I can very easily get caught up in it if I am not guarding myself against it.

Krispy

2012/3/30 5:19
romanchog

I have been pondering this myself, and this is the answer that I feel I have received from the Lord.

Being worldly is the equivalent of having an adulterous heart with respect to our love for God.

We are commanded to love the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. If we love anything else that is not for the purpose of loving God or glorifying him, this is adultery.

It can be compared to a husband and wife relationship (as the Lord does throughout the scriptures). If either spouse were to even be attracted to another person, this would obviously adultery, as Christ clearly stated. Even more so, since Christ died to call us out of this world, it is adultery when we are attracted to the things of this world. This is why 1 John states that he who loves the world does not have the love of the Father. The two are incompatible.

What this looks like for the individual believer is different, because we all have different lusts that tie us to this world. As you mentioned, a friend felt that tending her garden was worldly for her. That would not be the case for me, because I could care less about my garden. However, I have different lusts in my heart that pull me into this world. For me, following those lusts would be worldly living.

I was explaining this to my kids the other day as we drove by the local fair and they were commenting on the rides. I commented to my children that when they feel that their soul is pulling them to something that is of the world (entertainment, food, clothes, the home, etc.), that is adultery toward God and they should pull away from that. It is not to say that we cannot enjoy anything. It means that anything that is enjoyed NOT for the purpose of loving and glorifying God is worldly.

It comes down to being led by the Spirit (and being merciful towards others without judgment because you do not know where the Spirit is leading them). It is not following a bunch of dos and don'ts. It is spending time with God and in His Word so that He can speak directly to you and guide and cleanse you with His Spirit.

2012/3/30 8:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy