SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : the devotion of our common life,

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

the devotion of our common life,

1734 Quotation, Still True

Andrew Murray mentor, William Law… “It is very observable that there is not one command in all the Gospel for public worship; and perhaps it is a duty that is least insisted upon in Scripture of any other. The frequent attendance at it is never so much as mentioned in all the New Testament. Whereas that religion or devotion which is to govern the ordinary actions of our life is to be found in almost every verse of Scripture. Our blessed Saviour and His Apostles are wholly taken up in doctrines that relate to common life. They call us to renounce the world, and differ in every temper and way of life, from the spirit and way of the world; to renounce all its goods, to fear none of its evils, to reject its joys, and have no value for its happiness; to be as new-born babes, that are born into a new state of things; to live as pilgrims in spiritual watching, in holy fear, and heavenly aspiring after another life; to take up our daily cross, to deny ourselves, to profess the blessedness of mourning, to seek the blessedness of poverty of spirit; to forsake the pride and vanity of riches, to take no thought for the morrow, to live in the profoundest state of humility, to rejoice in worldly sufferings; to reject the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life; to bear injuries to forgive and bless our enemies and to love mankind as God loveth them; to give up our whole hearts and affections to God, and strive to enter through the strait gate into a life of eternal glory.
This is the common devotion which our blessed Saviour taught, in order to make it the common life of all Christians. Is it not therefore exceeding strange, that people should place so much piety in the attendance upon public worship, concerning which there is not one precept of our Lord’s to be found and yet neglect these common duties of our ordinary life, which are commanded in every page of the Gospel? I call these duties the devotion of our common life, because if they are to be practiced, they must be made parts of our common life; they can have no place anywhere else.”

As I read over this the thought came to me, how simple the instructions to us are in the Bible. Jesus and the disciples tell us all we need to live this life in HIM and then we come along, we begin by asking questions of each commend, then we decide that these commends are all subject to interpretations, then we debate each commend seeking to prove our interpretation, and finally we decide for ourselves what "truth" is....

I realize that the author is speaking to another issue but it struck me as I read this do I, daily, moment by moment really walk as they all did? Do I walk daily simply seeking to obey these simple teachings? Do I trust in HIM, draw on HIS strength to walk in HIS ways, to carry out these simple duties that HE Himself gave?? Somethings here I really need to search my heart on...

God Bless
mary

2012/3/23 11:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy