SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : True Repentance

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Again;

Through Him, by Him, in Him and Him in us is the only thing that changes dirty rags to white robes of righteousness, me being sanctified through His righteousness in me. That is my labour, striving according to His working, which worketh in me mightily.

This is my only labour that produces Godly repentance and this only if God grants it.

Hebrews 6:1-3 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this will we do, if God permit.

Repentance unto perfection can only come from one place;
"If God permits".

Revelation 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

How did Jesus overcome and learn obedience? By the nature of who He was. The Son of the most high God, our Father.
How do we repent and overcome? By the new nature that has been birthed in us.

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Repentance then comes from God by our new life, by the Christ in us, granted by the Father unto a new man, the old man has been crucified on the Cross with Jesus Christ.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

What life do we now live?

In Christ: Phillip

In Christ: Phillip

2012/3/20 12:27Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

An article for the impenitent

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=43925&forum=34&1

Grace for the Unwilling

There is even grace for those who are unwilling to repent.

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2012/3/20 15:36Profile
learjet

Re:

Quote:
Without repentance no one can be born again. This is very first message of New Covenant and sad that people are still struggling to understand this truth.

Hi Sree,

If this statement that you made earlier is true then how can Ephesians 2:9-10 be true?

Quote:
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

If I have to work for something is no longer a gift and no longer grace.

2012/3/20 15:40Profile
learjet

Re:

Hi Sree,

Quote:
Jesus also said that a slave cannot serve 2 masters. So how is that a man with un-confessed and un-repented sin can serve God when he is already a slave to sin? He cannot, he is deceiving him self. God is not deceived.

You are taking this scripture out of context, the context is the Lord speaking about money, and the love of money. He says very straightforward "you cannot serve God AND mammon".

Your belief here would nullify the process of sanctification and there would be no need to 'press on to perfection' because we would already be perfect upon regeneration. These two issues cannot be lumped together.

For example:

Since I was born again I had been living my life with still in fear of many things. This is clearly a sin, but the fact of the matter is I had no clue about it, I was just so used to living my life in fear that it was the accepted default in my life that I lived out unconsciously. A few weeks ago the Lord showed me how it was effecting me and I confessed the sin and asked Him to CLEANSE ME of it like it says in 1 John 1:9:

Quote:
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Since I had this operating in my life since day one of my salvation, if I died I would be in hell?

Here's another example:

Brother Zac freely admits that he had a problem with anger for many years before being delivered from it. If he died before being delivered or even recognized the problem was he going to hell?

2012/3/20 15:57Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

If this statement that you made earlier is true then how can Ephesians 2:9-10 be true?

Quote:
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

A person is born again when he believes in Jesus. How can someone say he believes in Jesus without believing in what he preached.
Matthew 4:17- Says
From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”

So if someone does not repent from their sinful life then how can he even be called a believer in Jesus? Please see my examples of a Bride who is unwilling to part from her ex boyfriend.

Quote:

If I have to work for something is no longer a gift and no longer grace.

Many do not have a clear picture of work and that is why they fall into false doctrines. By Work Paul meant that doing good like helping poor etc. By such good work we cannot cover out sins. Many rich men donate lots of money thinking it will compensate for their wrong earnings but this is not true. Only Blood of Jesus can cleanse our sins. There is one more poster here who has posted that if you serve God by opening Church then you no need to worry about sin, the problem is this is exactly what Paul rejects as salvation by work. There is nothing wrong in doing Good work but because you do this work if you believe that your sins will be forgiven then it becomes dead work.

Our Good works are like stars, when the love of Jesus which is shown to us on Calvary is shining bright like Sun in our life then these stars will never be seen out. But if we live in darkness (with sin) then the stars will shine, but what is the use, our life is dark without Jesus.

Even Repentance can become a dead work if we think that just because I turned from my past life I am saved, but it is not true. True Repentance is to turn towards Jesus away from our sinful life.

If repentance is work and God does want us to do then please read Revelation Chapter 2 (verses 5, 16 etc). God is asking Churches that are held in his own hands to Repent. These are not words spoken to unbelievers. But to believers who are part of a Church.

2012/3/20 17:28Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

You are taking this scripture out of context, the context is the Lord speaking about money, and the love of money. He says very straightforward "you cannot serve God AND mammon".

Matthew 6-24:-No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

I am not taking any verse out of context. Jesus here is using the real life fact that a man cannot serve 2 masters to show that we cannot serve God and Money. So the first half of Matthew 6-24 is a fact- "No man can serve two masters".

Now lets go to John 8-34:-Jesus replied, Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

So a man who has sins in his life (that he is aware) is already a slave to them how can he serve God if he is already a slave to Sin? He has to repent and confess them to Jesus, he will cleanse them and now he is free to serve God.

For example when you lust after a women with your eyes you are sinning by making your eyes a slave to your sexual passions. Now if you do not repent how can you come back and use the same eye for serving God. They eye is already made a slave.

Quote:

Brother Zac freely admits that he had a problem with anger for many years before being delivered from it. If he died before being delivered or even recognized the problem was he going to hell?

You yourself quoted John 1:8. If you read it carefully there is a condition that we should confess our sins. How can you confess when you are actually living in it? So you need to turn away from them (repent) and then confess to God, he will cleanse us.

It is true that Brother Zac is not prefect yet. He has struggled with Anger. But every time he gets angry with someone he confess it to God, apologize to people and believes that God will set him free. And that belief came true after some struggles, he is now anger free. He now openly says that there is nothing that people can do to offend him.

Now if he had died when he had unconfessed anger in his heart then he will go to hell. But since he repented as and when he realized his sins he was always ready for Jesus's second coming.

2012/3/20 17:48Profile
learjet

Re:

Quote:
I am not taking any verse out of context. Jesus here is using the real life fact that a man cannot serve 2 masters to show that we cannot serve God and Money. So the first half of Matthew 6-24 is a fact- "No man can serve two masters".

Now lets go to John 8-34:-Jesus replied, Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

How about we don't jump to John 8, this is where you are lumping the teachings together and taking them out of context.

One is a teaching about money and the love of it and the other is about who the true decedents of Abraham are, the two topics are not related whatsoever.

We are not saved in any way by works, period. We are not saved today by grace today and then tomorrow, we have a list of things to perform (this is dead works) anything not done in love of Christ are dead works. The free grace pendulum has run to one side of it's swing and now it's on the other extreme side since there has been an emphasis on false conversions. Now salvation is not just dependent on Christ and the Holy Spirit, now works factors into the equation. This line of thought is what the whole book of Galatians is about:

Quote:
You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh? Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain? So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”

A FREE GIFT is not bought and paid for by us, if I have to work, the gift is not free, it's wages. These two terms FREE and WORK can never reconcile, they are diametrically opposed.

What I'm concerned about is creating religious people that accept the premise of Christ dying on the cross for their sins, and then tomorrow start trying to work out their religion as 'sons of satan' (un-regenerated religious people):

Quote:
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Here's a quote from brother sscott that says what I mean better than I ever could:

Quote:
Lordship salvation frontloads faith with a commitment to do good works. It becomes a barter system in which the non-believer commits to forsake all their sins, commits to carry their cross and die daily, and commits to fully surrender and to have complete obedience in order to be saved. The gospel of Jesus Christ is no longer the free gift that God offers but is a costly gift that the unconverted sinner is unable to purchase. What sinner can commit to do things that are possible only by having the Spirit of God dwell in them? When people preach a Lordship Salvation gospel, they are not preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ; they are preaching a different gospel that frustrates the grace of God.

2012/3/20 19:54Profile

Re:

brother Earl said:

"anything not done in love of Christ are dead works."

This should be in the running for sermon index quote of the year.

Jim

2012/3/20 19:59

Re: True Repentance

Dear learjet, should we disregard James 2: 18

But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! But do you want to know, O FOOLISH MAN, THAT FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD?

What then shall we do with this verse? is it completely useless? if the disciples were preaching the same theme as the Messiah, which they were; same theme the prophets of old preached was Repentance.

The apostle Paul will never teach contrary to what his master (the Messiah) preached. Don't you think?

So why is Galatians, Corinthians and Ephesians translated in a manner to make Paul out to be a liar?

Lets face it, the letters of Paul as it's translated in our english bible heavily contradicts the teachings of the Savior. How so? Can someone explain why.

2012/3/20 21:25
jimp

Re:

hi,faith without works is dead... if abraham never left ur ... if noah never built an ark... we would not have ever heard of either of them for faith is hearing the word from God to you personnally and believing it and obeying it.obedience is better than sacrifice. ephah, Jesus spoke and lived under the old covenant that was taken over when He cut the covenant on the cross for us...ever establishing a new and better covenant...paul wrote under this new and different and better covenant.jimp

2012/3/20 22:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy