SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : True Repentance

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

True Repentance

Dear Brethren,

I just want to ask about true repentance as opposed to false repentance. I've been reading some articles on true repentance and they explain the motives of why we repent. Many times I read these articles and I get convicted. I wished my motives were a lot more pure in repenting, but it seems at times it is repentance out of consequence, and not an abhorrence to sin. I've read about repentance being God-centred and not man-centred, and all these things are true, but it seems hard to pull it off. Sometimes my willingness to repent is weak due to much fear overtaking me. I ask for your prayers but also please reply to this one question:

How is true repentance performed?

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2012/3/17 14:06Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: True Repentance

http://www.gospeltruth.net/1836LTPC/ltpc09_tandf_repentance.htm

http://www.ccwonline.org/repent.html

Here are some of the articles on repentance I've read.

2012/3/17 14:09Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Here is a post from 2010. Joyful_Heart posted an article by David Wilkerson called It Began With Repentance. It's a worthy read.

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=36624&forum=45&2

2012/3/17 14:16Profile
Sree

Re: True Repentance

To show you true repentance I have to show you the false one.
John Chapter 8 shows us the Pharisees who went to stone the adulterous women. When Jesus showed them their sinful life they put the stone down and turned away from stoning her. If repentance is only turning away from our actions and to accept that we are sinners then the Pharisees have done it there. I would believe that even they felt sorry for their sinful life. But something was missing there because if the Pharisees truly repented there then they won't have crucified Jesus. The only thing missing was that they turned back to their own life thinking that they can live Sinless life by their own effort. This is a lie that our flesh tells us to have confidence in him. Instead if the Pharisees had fallen on the feet of Jesus asking him to save them from their sinful life then Jesus would have given them the spring of living water that will save them.

Even in my life many times I felt sorry for sinning against God and cried out loud but what I did after that will only show whether they were true tears or crocodile tears. If they were true then I would cling to Jesus and will ask his spirit to guide me saying I have no confidence in Flesh. If it was false then I would have walked back like Pharisees thinking that I can live a sinless life myself.

God showed me this and it really helped me to repent and cling to Jesus. I pray that this truth will work for you too.

In short Repentance is to,
1. Hate our sins
2. Turn back from them like how the Prodigal son turned from Pigs food.
3. Walk towards Jesus like how the Prodigal son walked towards his father.

2012/3/17 14:30Profile
passerby

Re:

I was an ordinary sinner until sometime when my brother invited me to a sunday service at their campus fellowship.

There a missionary was preaching the gospel and there I met Jesus, I guess as savior and Lord.

After the service it seemed like an ordinary day, but something has really changed in my heart, their was that drive to turn away from sinning, to pray, to read the bible, to depend on God for my life.

As if God became someone close to me, I fear Him yet I am comfortable with Him as if He wanted me to depend on Him like a father.

If that is repentance, I realize that it is an ongoing process, it is polished over and over again, being so painful, very challenging, and disheartening at times.

As I recollect, repentance started that day when I put my trust in Jesus as a result of new birth. It is not perfect yet, but when I am so discouraged about it all, about myself, there in my heart it echoes " my grace is sufficient for you".

2012/3/17 20:19Profile
brothagary

Re:

true repentance is a supanatural gift from god

the bible talks about only god grants repentance

in comes by true spirtual conviction
when he comes the spirit of truth,he will convictd the world of sin ,rightesness and judment

i think in repentance will carrie a strong conviction of sin ,and a hatred for sin ,a cry as the prophert cryed ,i am a man of unclean lips and i dwell in the midts of an unclean people ,, it will produce a scence that only jesus is righeousand holy ,and absaultly pure and will convict of a scence of impending judment upon the world ,and us unless we turn to god
sin
righeousness
judgment

and will produces ,fruits of the spirit , or fruits of repentance ,,,,,a changed life

i believe somtimes this is a striking expereance
and in others a more gradual reality

false repentence will not do these things

2012/3/17 20:38Profile
jimp

Re:

hi,sin ful man can not repent from sin for if he could he would not need a redeemer. what he does is turns his life from self rule to Jesus rule. this is what we mean when we say ask for Jesus to come and be our Lord. altars are made for sacrifices,so when you go to the altar,you go to die.God births you as a new creation only after the old is dead to self and then becomes alive to God.jimp

2012/3/17 20:44Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

hi,sin ful man can not repent from sin for if he could he would not need a redeemer.

A Christian Repentance is the process of turning back to redeemer from his sinful life with a Change of Heart. The meaning of Repentance itself is to turn back. You do not need a redeemer to turn back. Many drug addicts turn back from their addiction without any Jesus. A true disciple is one who understands that he is so weak that he needs a savior so that he does not fall again after repentance. This is salvation that the Savior protects you from falling.
Without repentance no one can be born again. This is very first message of New Covenant and sad that people are still struggling to understand this truth.

No groom will be ready to even accept a bride who is unwilling to leave her ex-boyfriend. If the bride says I will be with you 6 days a week but just 1 day I will spend with my ex every week, then no Groom will be willing to accept her.

2012/3/17 21:45Profile
jimp

Re:

sree, a groom loves a bride that gives her entire life to him to honor him. it is not about sin, it is about who are you serving...who are you dedicated to.who is your LOrd? is it yourself or Jesus?jimp

2012/3/17 23:33Profile
brothagary

Re:

i think true repentence is not done by the unbelieveing mind ,,but in faith ,tho it may start out small and the faith it is married too might be small

it seems to be a two fold experance ...turning from sin in faith and toward god in faith

and a person must experance something of regenration to be able to do this ,,weather it be the birth of regenration ,or a type of preveinal grace that draws a man into repentance ,,,,,,,it cant be done with out regenerating grace ,,and if it could be done apart from gods supatatural power ,then man doesnt need god to save him

no man can come to me unless my father draw him

jesus spoke those words to those who were dead in sins

all of salvation is of the lord ,from the beginning to the end ,,,,,,man as dead in sins cant cause his carnal mind to recieve the desire to do a spirtaul thing like repent and believe ,,,unless god changes him ,and as the bible says grants him a messure of faith

man in no ways can grant him self the ability to repent and believe,,,,,,but he can recieve

all the glory and thanks be to our god who saves

2012/3/18 1:44Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy