SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : New Book: Spirit Rising: Tapping into the Power of the Holy Spirit by Jim Cymbala

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 New Book: Spirit Rising: Tapping into the Power of the Holy Spirit by Jim Cymbala

Saints,

I really recommend this new book by Jim Cymbala, me and my wife are looking forward to reading this and allowing God to build a deeper dependence in the work of the Holy Spirit of God in our lives, family and ministry.

--

For some of us being a Christian is harder than it should be. Discouraged, anxious, worn down, we wonder what happened to the power and the joy that Jesus promised. Jim Cymbala believes that many of us are missing something vital. Christianity, he says, for even the best-intentioned person or church, is impossible without the Holy Spirit. You can have regular devotions, great preaching, a strong emphasis on the Bible, a great worship team, and a congregation that is trying, but if you aren't vitally in touch with God's Spirit, you are missing out on the life God has for you. The Holy Spirit, he points out, is God's agent on earth. Yet he is the least understood, least preached about, and least discussed member of the Trinity. That is sad, because without him, our spiritual lives will always become dry, mechanical, and a struggle. Too often, the body of Christ is divided into two sides. One side stresses the Word of God, separating itself from what it views as the emotional fanaticism often linked to those emphasizing the Holy Spirit. The other side is sometimes known for drifting into unbiblical manifestations and unorthodox teaching while attributing it all to the Spirit of God. But the Christianity we see in Scripture is both grounded in the Word and full of the Spirit. With stunning stories of how God is working in the lives of people and churches today and biblical teaching about the Holy Spirit, Jim Cymbala invites you to experience God in a fresh and vital way. Nothing else will change our prayer life, our study of God's word, and our worship more than opening our hearts to the Spirit. If we want power, confidence, joy, peace, and more love in our lives, then we need a better understanding of how and why the Spirit moves so we can join him there.

Spirit Rising: Tapping into the Power of the Holy Spirit [Hardcover]
http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Rising-Tapping-into-Power/dp/0310241251/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331943957&sr=8-1

Spirit Rising: Tapping into the Power of the Holy Spirit [Kindle Edition]
http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Rising-Tapping-Power-ebook/dp/B005MQVIDU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331945591&sr=8-2

It would be great to hear of any other brothers and sisters and their response to this book.

2012/3/16 20:53Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: New Book: Spirit Rising: Tapping into the Power of the Holy Spirit by Jim Cymbala

Saints,

You can also purchase the book here from Jim Cymbalas church directly:

http://store.brooklyntabernacle.org/products.php?product=NEW!-Spirit-Rising-%28Hardcover%29

"The blend of solid biblical teaching from an anointed pastor and heart-moving personal testimonies gives extra spiritual power to this book. Whether you are a young believer or a mature saint, Spirit Rising will help you experience a deeper relationship with the Holy Spirit"
– Warren W. Wiersbe

2012/3/18 13:32Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

Yes and amen! I got the kindle version of the book for $4.99 from Amazon. I'm not finished yet but I absolutely love this book. We as Christians don't have to choose between 2 extremes:

Too often, the body of Christ is divided into two sides. One side stresses the Word of God, separating itself from what it views as the emotional fanaticism often linked to those emphasizing the Holy Spirit. The other side is sometimes known for drifting into unbiblical manifestations and unorthodox teaching while attributing it all to the Spirit of God. But the Christianity we see in Scripture is both grounded in the Word and full of the Spirit.

And Jim Cymbala is one of my favorite teacher/preachers of the Word. He especially focuses on prayer. This would be a good book to start if you are unfamiliar with him. He has audio and video sermons here on SI. Check him out.

2012/3/18 16:55Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: New Book: Spirit Rising: Tapping into the Power of the Holy Spirit by Jim Cymbala

Derek Prince has never been extreme to either side and does an excellent job explaining it here:

Derek Prince - Exercising Spiritual Gifts (1-3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THa58YZgbOI
2 hours 42 minutes (three sermons in one video)

Give it a good listen, you may not be sorry!

God bless you,
Lisa

2012/3/19 21:41Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Hmm. Don't be offended by this but i have to disagree with
Cymbala as he is quoted in the quote at the bottom of your post where he says that the Holy Spirit is the least preached about and least understood member of the Trinity. From the time i began going to church almost 2 decades ago almost all i heard about was the Holy Spirit or the spirit this and the spirit that. Of course, i spent much of my time in the Assembly of God churches at that time so that may explain some of it. One church even had a sign out front that said, "A Spirit-Filled church". After attending for a while i soon began to wonder what KIND of spirit! And after many years of Holy Spirit dominated teaching i became starved for Christ and teaching about Christ. It was rare to even hear Christ's name in some places (and books from the "Christian" bookstores). It was not til i stumbled upon illbehonest.com and the preaching of Paul Washer and Tim Conway that i was brought back to center. I don't know what churches Cymbala spends his time in but it must be some other denom, perhaps Lutheran or Methodist or one of those which reject the emotions and experiential side of religion.

2012/3/23 5:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy