SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Explosive Anger

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Shamefaced

Explosive Anger

I have intermittent explosive anger disorder and PTSD. I am also a Christian, and often find these two realities at war with each other. I'm stuck and keep pushing away my wife, who has breast cancer and who needs me the most. I don't need a whole list of verses claiming the promises of God, I've heard them time and time again. I just need to know there are people out there that have gone through the same thing.
Thanks

2012/3/16 14:30Profile

Re: Explosive Anger

Hi Shamefaced. I understand what you're looking for.
May I ask what 'caused' the PTSD?
Many of our military are coming home with PTSD.
Knowing the cause helps quite a bit in a conversation like this.

In prayer for you and your distressed wife.

2012/3/16 15:04
Shamefaced

Re:

I was an infantry Marine that participated in the initial invasion of Iraq. I thought that it had gotten better with time and my salvation in 2006 but it seems to be getting worse and the explosive anger is becoming more frequent

2012/3/16 15:08Profile

Re:

I'm very sorry that this took place, Brother. Very sorry.

What type of meds are you being treated with? - if you don't mind me asking.

Some are helpful - so don't fear my question.

2012/3/16 15:19
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Standing with you dear Brother in praying for you and your wife. My Brother & Dad in the wars. WW2, Korean & Vietnam. I do understand.

Prayer is the key and I am sure there are many here who will stand in the gap and pray for you both as well. I will for sure. Bless you Brother. God is faithful.

2012/3/16 15:36Profile
Shamefaced

Re:

Thanks for the response-
As for the meds I am taking a select seratonin reuptake inhibitor (ssri) which allows the seratonin to remain between the synapses longer than normal before being re-absorbed, which is beneficial for anxiety, ect..

I've been taking meds since 2004 and frankly I'm tired of taking them but it seems to be the course I've had to take.

2012/3/16 15:46Profile

Re:

In July 2010 I had a heart attack at age 42... and I had PTSD for about 6 to 9 months after. I understand! Believe me. I could be as mean as a copperhead snake.... and when that would come on it was almost as though I was outside of myself watching it happen.

I found out that it's very common, especially among younger men who seemed to be healthy and not overweight, yet were blind sided by a heart attack. I honestly thought at times that I was going crazy.

People who dont think PTSD isnt a real thing has never had it.

I did not take any meds. I sought out godly counseling and eventually pulled out of it. Thats not to say meds are not necessary in some cases. I would warn though that many doctors are quick to medicate, and thats unwise. My doctors were not.

Krispy

2012/3/16 16:19

Re:

Hi again Brother. My concern is that you stated that it's getting worse.

About your med - The Merck Manuals Online Medical library lists restlessness, confusion, **agitation**, hallucinations, anxiety and easy startling as potential complications of increased serotonin levels in the body. These symptoms are due to the **stimulatory** effects of serotonin on the central nervous system.
There are whole websites about antidepressants that you can research.

We want to see hope revived in you for feeling better and the guilt off of you for your coping inabilities at present.
Hope is vital and help is possible.

Few will tell you this but benzodiazepines [at the lowest dose that keeps you at an even keel] work far better for what ails you - until your 'nervous system is healed' and the LORD shows you 'the thoughts that precede' these symptoms. I don't know if your present Dr would be willing to transition you over to a benzodiazepine, but you could pursue it. Your medical health decisions are in your own hands, but some Drs don't allow the patient that Freedom of choice.

I'm sure you've researched helps for PTSD on the internet and Anger management as well.
Getting into supplements to help to detox and build your nervous system back up, is the first medical type approach to take.
I'm running short on time - but internet research on natural supplements for neuro-damage would be wise.

We're believing for you, Brother and for the health and happiness for both you and your wife and your marriage. You have each other regardless. If you need to take a walk to pray or read the Word as a 'time out' - do that rather than "react" - because reacting causes the catch-22 of guilt afterwards and the more guilt the more anger - I'm sure you regretfully know.

The LORD comfort you both, in Jesus' Mighty Name.

Praying.

2012/3/16 16:46

Re:

Quote:
About your med - The Merck Manuals Online Medical library lists restlessness, confusion, **agitation**, hallucinations, anxiety and easy startling as potential complications of increased serotonin levels in the body. These symptoms are due to the **stimulatory** effects of serotonin on the central nervous system.
There are whole websites about antidepressants that you can research.

Amen, sometimes the side effects of meds are worse than the problem your medicating. A lot of times things like PTSD are better dealt with with a healthy diet and exercise, more time in the Word of God... and a pastor that knows how to help you thru it.

No one here should recommend you stop taking the meds, thats a decision that you need to make with your doctor. But I would recommend you have that discussion with him/her.

Krispy

2012/3/16 16:49
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

To the OP,

Have you been tested for diabetes? Before my husband was diagnosed he was prone to explosive anger. Now that his Blood Glucose is staying below 90 he has no issues. Many times Doctors overlook diabetes. They put a label on you and shove pills in your direction and call that treatment. It wouldn't hurt to ask for an A1c test.

Kind regards,
white stone

2012/3/16 16:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy