Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How to "study" the Bible, looking for help

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
pilgrim777

Re:

Quote:
I don't listen to sermons to 'learn' - but am benefited now when I hear something that aligns itself with the truth that I first learned alone and that expounds on those same truths.

Jesus-is-God,

Did you ever hear something in a sermon that corrected some faulty thinking that you had? Or have all the sermons that you listened to just confirmed all the truth that you already had?

Pilgrim

2012/3/7 13:41Profile

Re:

Hi Pilgrim, I don't want to sound as if I think I'm super spiritual - I consider myself a helpless lamb before Him. I used to have 'brains' but I had to be shown in the last 10 years or so, that He doesn't need my former brain. My family are all very proud of being mensa types and I swore as a little kid that I never wanted to be like them - using language that the majority of people can't understand and talking over people's heads - so I vowed as a kid to speak street language and that will remain my native tongue.
I can read any level but I won't relate it back with the same choice of words that the author used.
What I'm trying to say is - 'before GOD', if I don't depend solely on John 16:13 - to have Him be 'the brain' and lead this helpless sheep into what to listen to or 'who' to listen to - I'm a sitting duck. What I'm trying to say is - HE is Faithful! He will guide our every move and direct us what to listen to and what not to listen to - so that - as it turns out - He protects our minds and spirits from junk-food. So, as it turns out - He uses sermons to confirm the Word of truth that He's already seeded into us - as we are walking the walk of the helpless totally dependent child that knows nothing of what to do and who to listen to and what to do from minute to minute and must of necessity and Biblically listen for His Voice, The Good Shepherd Who won't allow us to waste our minds and spirits on listening to error. "Nothing of ourselves", I believe is what He's after.
Yes, I do believe in the 5 ministerial gifts - in the teachers and pastors etc within - but if we become like a little child, as He commanded we do - He will direct us to which to listen to and which to avoid without us having to get burnt first. Some call it "that check in our spirit" to avoid or to go to one of these messengers. But we need to empty ourselves of self/autonomy as He did while He was here, being our perfect example of how to live in 100% dependency on The Father.
I've benefited much from certain men that are now in Heaven - yes - but whenever correction of doctrine was necessary - it was Him alone, driving me into His Word because of that check in the spirit that something was wrong and Him driving me to study it out, from His Word alone - so that HE gets all the Glory - confirming once again His Words from John 10, as well - "MY sheep hear my voice and will not follow another." I trust Him 100% to lead through His Own Spirit and Word.
There are some men that I listen to and enjoy very much - yet knowing that no man is 100% omniscient or innerant - we must always be Bereans first. I feel that I need to depend on Him as much as a blind person needs a guide through a crowded subway. I know that HE and His Word combined as One is 100% Faithful - not me or any other human being.
I reckon that's why I like the literature ministry that uses mostly just scripture to lead folks to Him and 'HIS' doctrine.
Less of our own words and more Scripture. Let The Word tell us what The Word is saying! The more of our own words spoken - the more we are raising ourselves above His Word and "adding or subtracting" from It somehow.
When I listen to a sermon - I either hear Scripture being quoted in the man's paraphrased delivery or I hear Scripture coming from the Spirit that contradicts what the man is saying. We deposit His Word into our spirit, read it in the spirit - so that when we hear the words of men - Scripture comes up out of our spirits to our mind that either confirms His Word being spoken in the person's message or Scriptures will come up from our spirit or even those Scriptures that we know in our mind will come up that debunk something in the person's message.
No glory to us at all in knowing that we know nothing unless The Word of GOD including His Spirit be our only Teacher - ESPECIALLY in these days when error comes disquised or covered within 99% truth.
Dependency on Him for dear life [literally] to lead us completely as only the Good Shepherd is capable of doing for those who know that they know nothing of themselves.
We don't even know the secrets of our own motives unless we candidly pray that He show us, moment by moment.
Laying ourselves prostrate before Him, to lead us into all truth, even about ourselves - HE is Faithful - not us.

GOD help us all. Amen?

2012/3/7 14:32
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Brother Sree, I'm not trying to pick on you personally, but the method you describe is not the way to go and not because of the man that you mention. But "reading" The Word so that we KNOW it is wonderful - but "studying" The Word is something much more intensive and we should never depend on a man - any man - to 'teach' us what The Word is saying.
When we stand before Jesus [The WORD of GOD, Himself], we'll give an account for ourselves and will not be able to say to Him that we learned a faulty belief that He's questioning us on, from a man or woman.

I understand what you are trying to say. May be I did not make it clear. I never said we need to interpret the Bible the same way as he interprets. It is not about theology or something. It is about reading, giving importance to every scripture. Also the original poster wanted some book suggestions, I know a book written by Watchman Nee but more than books, when you practically see how a person of the spiritual status as Zac Poonen studies the Bible we get better understanding. Also these are not Sermons, they are verse by verse Bible study.

But what I learned from him is how to give importance to every verse. His study is so detailed, giving thought about small things that I would have normally ignored. Jesus had a through understanding of every verse and he used verses to balance the argument when devil tempted him with scripture.

Quote:

I don't want to be found "lazy" when I stand before Him and giving Him any excuses for whatever errors I've believed, saying, "Well LORD, _________ taught me that error."

I agree with what you are saying. We cannot blame anyone on that day. That is why I advised the poster to read this way, comparing Zac's study few times and once you get the idea about how to read the Bible, go ahead with what God personally speaks to you. I am not saying every time one needs to use his Bible Study.

2012/3/7 15:06Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Thank you Jesus-is-God.

I think this answered my question:

Quote:
I've benefited much from certain men that are now in Heaven - yes - but whenever correction of doctrine was necessary - it was Him alone, driving me into His Word because of that check in the spirit that something was wrong and Him driving me to study it out, from His Word alone - so that HE gets all the Glory

What I get from your reply is that God has never corrected you through a man teaching or preaching the Word. He has always, only corrected or adjusted you DIRECTLY "from His Word alone".

Don't you think God would still get the glory if He transmitted truth through a man? Of course, it is up to us who give the glory, who we give it to, right?

Thank you for your gracious reply.
Pilgrim

2012/3/7 15:46Profile

Re:

Hi Pilgrim. I did say that I do believe in the 5 ministerial gifts. Yes, GOD does use humans to transmit truth - but the "dependency" was what I was trying to stress ... being on John 16:13,14 - John 10 - and being Bereans - always.

You're welcome :)

2012/3/7 15:56
pilgrim777

Re:

I appreciate that you are trying to stress something else, but what about a direct answer for my question?

Has the Lord ever used a teaching by a man or woman to correct erroneous thinking or doctrine on your part?

Blessings,
Pilgrim

2012/3/7 17:10Profile

Re:

Quote:
Pilgrim asked: "Don't you think God would still get the glory if He transmitted truth through a man? Of course, it is up to us who give the glory, who we give it to, right?"

I 'did' answer this question, Pilgrim.

The question you are now posing is not the same question but I'll answer it.

1Pe 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to Whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

And again - the 5 ministerial gifts but adding their "purpose" ...

Eph 4:11-16 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
**that we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;**
but speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: from whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love."

When I was newly saved by The LORD, I was misled by some books that I had read on demonology and about three yrs later - men of GOD brought me to The WORD of GOD and showed me where that teaching was dead wrong ... so, Yes, to your question - but it was still The Word of GOD that corrected the teaching and erroneous thinking, not the words of these wonderful teachers of The Word.
That is the Only way that these 5 ministerial gifts should operate .... by leading His Sheep 'to' and giving His Sheep a hunger for and dependency upon The Word of GOD -- BOTH, The Word of GOD made flesh and the written Word and His Spirit of Truth and not to any dependency upon themselves or attention to their 'own' words.

{eta} Heb 13:13

2012/3/7 17:38

Re:

Quote:
As He was drawing me unto Himself,...His Spirit drawed me to NOT
get any material, ..just get the WORD,and He would teach me,...

Elizabeth, you's a talkin my language. Amen!

2012/3/7 18:14
pilgrim777

Re:

Thank you Jesus-is-God,

Yes, God raises up Teachers to rightly divide the Word, giving His Church understanding.

Pilgrim

2012/3/7 23:03Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re: How to "study" the Bible, looking for help

Very cool Doug, I am glad you find just reading inadequete when it comes to scripture. It's good but as you eluded to could be better.

First off I can tell you IF done properly and with the correct heart attitude you will avoid many issues that I personally ran into when I became a heavy hitting bible thumper :).

The major lesson God's Word has taught me and how God has shown to me through the Holy Spirit and just speaking to my heart is handle with care. The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom. Remember it is a sword after all.

Open each study with prayer, if you are studing correctly you will have times of breaking where something inside you is revealed. Remember God should be showing more stuff in you than in others in your life when you read the Word. Meaning, (and this is one of my major mistakes I.E. religious pride) reading a scripture and thinking in your mind "Oh so and so really needs to hear that, it will surely get them on the right path"

The method I have used and really have enjoyed is pretty simple, I never use a commentary that outright says this is what this means, I mainly use commentary for Historical background to understand where the author is coming from. From there I simply answer ALL of the Who, What, When, why, and Where? Writing each down.

If you are wanting a nice read on Bible Study I highly recommend "Living By the Book" by Howard Hendricks. He is the one that I adopting my methods from and this book will give you a great start in foundational Bible Study.

http://www.amazon.com/Living-The-Book-Howard-Hendricks/dp/0802408168/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331203137&sr=8-3

Hope that Helps :)
God Bless,
Matthew

2012/3/8 5:40Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy