SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : He must increase, but I must decrease

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
moreofHim

He must increase, but I must decrease

Hi folks! I know that i am kind of known around here for the "more of Him' motto and the whole John 3:30. But once again I have to come back to this again. To point to True North.

After going through some horrendous trials lately,I cannot tell you how it really is all about becoming more of Him- for real! and becoming less of ourselves- for real! That He must and will increase Himself in us, as we must and will decrease. That's what it's all about.

Any struggles that i have with anything, any problems, it is all handled through this. I don't have to worry about "doing" this or that because as I am "becoming" more of Him, these things just get taken care of. While we become more of Him by surrendering to Him daily, we cannot help but be like Him and do what is right and obedient.

I can say this with more conviction now that ever before.

Our whole aim as followers of Christ is to follow after Him, to become like Him. But we cannot do that in our own effort in any way. we can't practice it or try harder. We just have to give ourselves up to Him. And let Him live in us, let Him steer the boat, drive the car, whatever :)

But our "selves" or flesh or whatever is the right "phraseology" to use, fight against this and still want to keep some control over some things- and so we cannot become more of Him, if we do not let Him have His way. But if we so desire this and keep our focus on Christ alone and not things "about" Christ- it happens. Halleluia!

Here is a little something from Chip Brogden that sums it up nicely- about spiritual maturity:

In His love, Chanin
------------

The whole aim and purpose of God is to bring
us to Christ - not once, but continually, daily,
hour by hour, minute by minute.
Just as a wildly spinning compass eventually
points to true north, so the Holy Spirit is
arranging our lives and ordering our steps so that
we are constantly being brought back to our
"true north", centered and focused on and into
CHRIST, forever being made to see our sufficiency is of Him.

We are being prepared as a fruitful garden
for the Lord. The north wind represents
the cold, bitter experiences we must pass through. The south wind represents the warm, sweet
experiences. Both winds are necessary.
All things are working together for His Purpose -
which is to reduce you to Christ.

As we walk the narrow way we are being
changed from glory to glory. Today we should
reflect a little more of the glory of God than
yesterday; tomorrow we will reflect yet more than
we did today.

This is spiritual growth.
[b]Growth is not more knowledge or increase
of years: it is simply more of HIM
and less of me. He increases as I decrease.
This is what it means to be a disciple.[/b]

2005/1/28 9:58Profile
Hyssop

Montana USA

Re: He must increase, but I must decrease

Wonderful thread!

I have something to share with you.

Yesterday I was struggling with fear, I mean really struggling. My thoughts (What will happen if something happens to me, to my family, oh no, what will they do..)

Now I'm a believer, and I know people are praying for me- but I'm pleading with the Lord, and I'm immersed in fear and dread and I'm just... really struggling. Sick with worry, sick with fear and tired so tired... doubting my faith since I can seemingly get no relief from God, oh why won't He hear me

And then, something came to me, I had been reading here - something popped out- and the wisdom is from the Holy Spirit I'm sure, and I realized something. I finally cried out a prayer like " Lord help me! YOU are in control, I have no control, I give in, I'm so sorry for trying to take control- I know that now." I cried and just willingly gave ALL of myself to Him and suddenly, my fear started to go away, and I could feel peace flowing in. Sweet peace, what a relief! I even slept last night! It's like the scales fell from my eyes, I could see myself-like a wild horse fighting the rope, sweating and rope burned (from my own struggles) and flanks heaving, I finally gave in and stopped struggling- and the relief was immediate and so sweet.

Now I can start learning, now I can start to understand- to live IS Christ. I wasn't living for Him, I was fighting for control. He is the master and commander, and now I'm rejoicing in the security and peace in just resting in that.
Today is a new day to see where the ship will sail, and whether it be stormy or peaceful, I know that I am along for a ride to a glorious destination.

:-D

2005/1/28 11:31Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Jill,

I know your fear. I have fought with this myself and still do. I have to trust that the Lord is teaching me how to trust Him- even though I am not there yet all the way. It is ok to admit that we don't have it all together- that we don't have all the answers and that, though we want to be strong, we cannot be strong unless we let Him be our strength. And even that is hard to comprehend when we are in the midst of it.

I pray that the Lord will show us both and anyone else who fears, how to focus on Him alone.

As soon as we fear, we begin to get our focus off of Christ and onto our selves. I know it is hard. Believe me. I am still working on this. I know that the Lord will bring this work in me and in you to full completion though. Even though it seems like it is taking a long time for us to "get it", I know we will. He will make sure of it. :-)

Focusing on Him alone, Chanin

2005/1/28 11:46Profile
moreofHim

Re: more - more of Him

Sorry, just had to add this as well to the whole topic of becoming more of Him:

"Stay clear of pious talk that is only talk. Words are not mere words, you know. If they're not backed by a godly life" (2 Timothy 2:16)

Pious-
Having or exhibiting religious reverence; earnestly compliant in the observance of religion; devout

How often do we think we can win people to Christ with knowing every scripture and every argument to prove the Bible true? It is all talk if not backed up by our life! We can't convince people with our words until they have become convinced by our LIVES! -J. Henney

Amen!!!!

2005/1/28 12:46Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Growth is not more knowledge or increase
of years: it is simply more of HIM
and less of me. He increases as I decrease.
This is what it means to be a disciple.

Chanin this is great you are sharing on this topic and bringing it out again. Even at SermonIndex I know we are prone to hoard information and knoweldge but forget that true spiritual growth is becoming more like Jesus and having Him [b]increase[/b] in our lifes. He who wants to save his life will lose it but he who [b]loses[/b] his life will save it. Our life is to be hid with Christ in God so when Christ who [b]is[/b] our life appears then we will appear with Him in glory.

I hope many read this thread and the Lord impresses this truth on their hearts again or for the first time.

2005/1/28 13:45Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

You have been sorely missed miss Chanin!

Quote:
Our whole aim as followers of Christ is to follow after Him, to become like Him. But we cannot do that in our own effort in any way. we can't practice it or try harder. We just have to give ourselves up to Him. And let Him live in us, let Him steer the boat, drive the car, whatever :)

But our "selves" or flesh or whatever is the right "phraseology" to use, fight against this and still want to keep some control over some things- and so we cannot become more of Him, if we do not let Him have His way. But if we so desire this and keep our focus on Christ alone and not things "about" Christ- it happens. Halleluia!

I wish this was the mission statement of every church

James

2005/1/28 14:30Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re:

[b]Hallelujah[/b]
I know I have already responded but I just had to pick this up again

Quote:

"Stay clear of pious talk that is only talk. Words are not mere words, you know. If they're not backed by a godly life" (2 Timothy 2:16)

Pious-
Having or exhibiting religious reverence; earnestly compliant in the observance of religion; devout

How often do we think we can win people to Christ with knowing every scripture and every argument to prove the Bible true? It is all talk if not backed up by our life! We can't convince people with our words until they have become convinced by our LIVES! -J. Henney

Amen!!!!

Theological accuracy is wonderful and commendable but holiness and love are the fruit of a well-nurtured relationship with Christ. This cannot be faked, studied, or earned. Either you have a well-nurtured relationship with Christ or you do not.

James

2005/1/28 14:37Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Christ our righteousness

Okay just one last thing from Watchman Nee...

The experience of many Christians follows a certain pattern: If they read the Bible in the morning and manage to control their temper during the day, they can pray in a strong way at night. But if they fail during the day, their prayer at night is very weak. Actually, even when we sin, Christ is still our righteousness. The fact has not changed, because we are in Christ. If we behave well today and think that we are more qualified to come to God, we are coming to Him by our own righteousness. This is a wrong concept. God does not receive us based on our righteousness, much less on our unrighteousness. His receiving is based on Christ. A Christian does not become more unrighteous through sinning, nor does he become more righteous through doing good. Sin does not diminish a Christian's righteousness, nor do good works increase his righteousness. Our righteousness before God is not dependent on our conduct, but on Christ Himself. Our righteousness before God never changes. Righteousness is a person; it is not a thing. The righteousness that a Christian has is the living Christ; it is not some dead object. Even if we committed all the sins of the world, our righteousness is still Christ Himself. Sooner or later every Christian must realize who this One is who is his righteousness.

2005/1/28 15:04Profile
moreofHim

Re: Christ our righteousness

Quote:
Our righteousness before God is not dependent on our conduct, but on Christ Himself. Our righteousness before God never changes. Righteousness is a person; it is not a thing. The righteousness that a Christian has is the living Christ; it is not some dead object.

Amen! Just as Christ is our holiness. He is our victory. Holiness is a man. righteousness is a man, victory is a man. If we desire those things, then let the 'Man' live in us and have His way.

In Him, Chanin

2005/1/28 15:19Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: He must increase, but I must decrease

Quote:
Growth is not more knowledge or increase of years: it is simply more of HIM and less of me. He increases as I decrease. This is what it means to be a disciple.

This reminded me of something I read this morning from [i]Waiting on God[/i] by Andrew Murray;

"There is such a danger of our being more occupied with the things that are coming than with Him who is to come. There is such scope in the study of coming events for imagination and reason and human ingenuity, that nothing but deeply humble waiting on God can save us from mistaking the interest and pleasure of intellectual study for the true love of Him and His appearing. All you who say you wait for Christ's coming, be sure that you wait on God now. All you who seek to wait on God now to reveal His Son in you, see to it that you do so as men waiting for the revelation of His Son from heaven. The hope of that glorious appearing will strengthen you in waiting upon God for what He is to do in you now. The same omnipotent love that is to reveal that glory is working in you even now to prepare you for it... Waiting for Christ Himself is so different from waiting for things that may come to pass! The latter any Christian can do; the former, God must work in you every day by His Holy Spirit. Therefore, all you who wait on God, look to Him for grace to wait for His Son from heaven in the Spirit which is from heaven. And, you who want to wait for His Son, wait on God continually to reveal Christ in you.

The revelation of Christ in us, as it is given to them who wait upon God, is the true preparation for the full revelation of Christ in glory.

My soul, wait thou only upon God!"

In Christ,

Ron

2005/1/28 16:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy