SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How would you answer this person?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

How would you answer this person?

"God has let me down!" is what the person told me, and proceeded to share a terrible family tragedy with me. I thought I had some good answers for those decrying injustice in this world but when I looked into the eyes of this mother who blamed God for not keeping her innocent children from life long suffering(as a result of another person's sin), I sat in silence. It's not as easy to speak up in the face of a person's pain as when the story comes from the pages of a newspaper.

I do not know her well enough to make a judgement on the depth of her former faith, but she chooses to no longer read her Bible or pray. I wanted to defend my Lord and tell her about His great love and how He's ultimately in control but it seemed like mocking when I tried to see things from her view. I didn't feel like quoting scripture such as Romans 8:28 was appropriate. Was I wrong?

Even if I should never have a chance to answer this one person, I wish I had a better grasp on how to deal with the accusation that God let her down. Perhaps some of you have been confronted with a similar situation. What did you say?

2012/3/5 22:03Profile

Re: How would you answer this person?

I do not want to speak against anyones suffering, but in order for God to let someone down, He would have had to promise them something and then not deliver. God does not promise health, wealth, and propserity though He often blesses the just and the unjust with it.

Here is a good video for those who can receive it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTc_FoELt8s

2012/3/5 22:13
Tomo07

Australia

I can relate as to how difficult it can be in these situations. Prahaps the best thing you can say isn't to her, but rather on her behalf to the Lord in prayer. I lost a brother with an illness who took his life, of which I had to witness. Having prayed for ages that the Lord would heal him. Looking back now, the Lord went one better and gave him a complete healing, of which I now thank God for.

For to be absent from the body, it to be present with the Lord,

Also the Lord has filled me with a peace and taken the pain from what I saw from me. There is a time for weeping, and then the Lord will heal.

Hope this helps.

2012/3/5 22:16Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

If I understand your post, I assume the children must have been victim of someone else's sin. If this is the case, I do have a suggestion on how to approach this subject.

Know first off the lady is hurting, terribly. Allow her to vent her feelings, her anger. While this is going on, be praying, listening to see how the Holy Spirit would have you proceed from this point on. If nothing is forthcoming, ask questions to keep her talking, but also listen to what her heart is saying. Eventually, the HS will lead you to speak and when he does it will be far superior then any premeditated advice you can give.

I have done this many times when I took care of clients at a crises pregnancy center. We encountered all kinds of sins - sins we were not trained to handle. But we always prayed God would send us the people he was dealing with, so the WORDS did come and they always wonderful. And would you know I could never repeat that conversation to anyone because I always forgot it after I left the room...this did not bother me because I knew that where that knowledge came there was more when I needed it.

God is more interested in this lady then you ever will be. Just do not forget that. Hope this helps...

God bless.

ginnyrose

2012/3/5 22:55Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Job's friends started out good by remaining silent. It went down hill from there.

Russell

2012/3/6 5:42Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

There is currently a very popular worship song with the line:

"Your love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out on me"

I have often wanted to ask the writer of the song who he had in mind... everybody? Only Christians? Only mature Christians? Only the writer of the song?

Because the fact of the matter is, at least on the surface, that these words simply don't ring true for many persons (abused children, starving children, victims of school shootings, etc).

I recently read Oswald Chambers' commentary on the book of Job, which helped somewhat in dealing with issues like this.

Even so, when I sing the above song (which I do really like) there is some unease lurking under the surface.

2012/3/6 15:02Profile
rbanks

Re:

Oh my, this is sad!

Most of all pray for her and ask the Lord for wisdom. Also remember the Lord Jesus wept over Jerusalem because of the tragedy that was coming to them because of their unbelief. Tragedies have been happening in the world ever since the fall of mankind and will continue to happen until God makes all things new. I don’t know how this tragedy came about or if it could have been avoid but God can still give hope and comfort but the devil wants her to blame God and miss out on her healing and the Love God has for her even now. The devil has done much destroying and he wants to go right on and destroy her future by getting her to push God out of her life.

Continue to pray for her - for our God is full of compassion.

2012/3/6 15:40Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

ginnyrose said:

"Know first off the lady is hurting, terribly. Allow her to vent her feelings, her anger. While this is going on, be praying, listening to see how the Holy Spirit would have you proceed from this point on. If nothing is forthcoming, ask questions to keep her talking, but also listen to what her heart is saying. Eventually, the HS will lead you to speak and when he does it will be far superior then any premeditated advice you can give."

This is incredibly wise and Godly counsel.

2012/3/6 21:16Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re:

Thank you all for your wise answers. I kept details vague on purpose in order not to drag someone's personal story into the limelight. Perhaps it's like Ginny said, the answer may come without me realizing or remembering what the Holy Spirit just made me say, because I have indeed been praying for Him to speak through me.

Somehow I wonder though if in fact I have not been seeking an answer more for myself than for the other person. While I truly ache for her situation and wish to see her turn back to the Lord, I'm also stuck without an answer. The devil is devouring this family alive. Why does God allow it? Where my children safe because we prayed for them? Did it matter that the parents didn't have a strong faith? Would it have been different if they did?

I know David asked some hard questions and I don't think the Lord minds. He doesn't owe me an answer and my faith is based on what I do know. He is the One who can heal and make whole and my prayer is that He would do that in such a way that everyone who sees what is happening gives credit to God and agrees that what is impossible with man is possible with God, in order that glory may come to His name.

2012/3/6 22:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy