SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Scripture memorising challenge

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ET101

Scripture memorising challenge

I was reading Brother Yun's story in 'The Heavenly Man' and noticed that the believers he was training up to minister in China would memorise the whole of the Gospel of Matthew in a month.

So I am setting on a challenge now to memorise the Gospel of Matthew and the book of Acts by early 2013.

Does anyone on SI want to join the challenge? A few of us going at it together can help each other with memorisation tips, share experiences and support each other - perhaps using this thread to connect and discuss?

2012/2/20 0:47Profile

Re: Scripture memorising challenge

Brother having been exposed to the Navigators I would love to accept your challenge. Presently I am in John's gospel as that is where God has put me. I do not know if I will be led to memorize that book. But I will certainly pray that God bkesses those who accept your challenge.

One tip I will pass on. John MacArthur and Chuck Swindahl have said that if you take a book of the Bible and read it through once a day for a month that a great part of that book will be in your soul. You may not quote it wotd for wotd. But much will resonate in your heart and mind. Since you are taking on longer books. Split them ul into mangeable pieces and read the shorter sections throug once a day. Should be a blessing.

One last thing. Depend on the Holy Spirit. Ask him to help you in your memory work. For the promise of Jesus is to bring back everything he has said.

I will pray God bkesses,your undertaking and trust some good testimony come from this thread.

Blaine

2012/2/20 7:15
passerby

Re: Scripture memorising challenge

I think what John MacArthur had advised is more viable for most of us, unless one is going to China or same other places as a missionary or a minister.

Are they talking about the Chinese translation or the KJV. If I am to memorize the bible, I think I will start with John, then Matthew, then Galatians.

2012/2/20 20:03Profile
passerby

Re:

I think it will be also helpful to use subheadings, some bible versions have this divisions. Actually this will facilitate memorization and retention, as it will be easier to memorize and retain something that you understand or have an insight.

2012/2/20 20:58Profile
Leeza

Re:

I would love to try this as much asGod enables my aging brain!

2012/2/21 0:56Profile
ET101

Re:

Wonderful.

Yes, even if we end up memorising different books from each other, lets do it together here and share tips and ideas as we go along.

Yes, repetition will likely be my primary technique. I'll be planning out my strategy soon but I think I might go with something like reading a third of the books each day - so a three day cycle. Then keeping that cycle going on for as long as possible. But I'll also look at the tips people have mentioned here. I have not decided yet.

I'm also using a mindmapping software (you can download some for free, BTW. See here: https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=free+mindmapper&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

So I'm thinking to mindmap the chapters into memorable chunks (maybe with reminder pictures, symbols etc).

I might then maybe put the reminder symbols on a key-chain or something always to hand, so wherever I am, the symbol will remind me of section of scripture associated with it . . . and it will be a chance to rehearse mentally while waiting in line at the bank, check-out counter etc.

2012/2/21 4:49Profile
ET101

Re:

Still working to get into order and get started proper on memorising, but wanted to share a couple of points with anyone who has decided they're in:

-apparently, speaking the verses out as you memorise helps retention.

-I imagine writing them out helps too.

2012/3/1 1:11Profile

Re:

Both writing the verses and speaking the verses are good. They reinforce what you are memorizing. If you are memorizing a passage, read the passage aloud, slowly, and reflectively. Not ionly will it enrich your mind but your soul as well.

Blaine

2012/3/1 10:07
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

This is a wonderful challenge!

I can't necessarily commit to this right now, but I think that you will be surprised at how much of the Word of God that we already have memorized when we undergo such attempts.

Sometimes, when my wife and I are studying the Word, we are amazed at how much we know...or how we can complete a passage before reading it.

A church that I was a part of as a teenager had a Christian school as part of their ministries. One of the requirements was for the students to memorize a chapter of the Bible each month. They did this by reciting the passage together each morning. I thought that this was a wonderful idea...and many of them STILL remember those passages!

May the Lord bless you in this endeavor, Brother Blaine!

2012/3/1 11:24Profile

Re: Chris

Brother ET101 was the one who started the thread. But for sure all who partake in scripture memory of any form are bkessed. Praise God you and your side are blessed by retainingmuch of the word.

Blaine

2012/3/1 13:01

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy