Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Do you know what the gospel is

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
The Gospel is not about me.

Actually if it wasn't for us bro, there wouldn't be any reason for Christ coming.

For God so loved the world (you and me) that He gave His only begotten Son.

Jesus is the Good News yes, but Jesus does not require the Gospel, we do. So it is about us.

I have heard for quite sometime the cliche, "it's not about me, it's about Him".

Yes, He deserves all the glory and honour and praise, but it's the purpose as to why He came, to save us. The gospel is two fold. Jesus AND me.

We must not take away the importance of 'us' being in the equation.

2012/2/24 8:07
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

What I mean by it's not about me is, I am not the focal point of the gospel Christ is. Christ's did have the goal was to save me but His ultimate goal was to further Glorify the Father.

2012/2/24 8:36Profile

Re:

No need to explain brother. I know what you said the first time.

It's all summed up in this verse.

Revelation 19:1 And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God:

2012/2/24 12:00

Re: Do you know what the gospel is

"But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel".

Hebrews 12:22-24

2012/2/25 6:43
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

What is the fulfillment of This Gospel?

1 Peter 1:20-23 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

To Paul, the same revelation;

Colossians 1:25-29 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, (((((to fulfil the word of God;))))) Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

How? We were in the cup in the garden that Jesus drank according the the will of God. The death of the testator giving life to the new covenant in His Blood.

Galatians 1:20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not.

Galatians 2:16-20 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Christ in you the hope of glory; this is the fulfillment of the Gospel, In Christ.

In Him who did it all just to get us as sons' of the living God who is now our Father.

Phillip

2012/2/25 12:17Profile
roadsign

Re:

I appreciate seeing all the descriptions and verses that convey the enormous implications of the gospel. The following quotes especially caught my attention:

Quote:
The gospel ,that was preached by these ,aforementioned Holy men,

Quote:
I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers

These references address a current emphasis among theologians. Today evangelicalism is being criticized for emphasizing a merely “personal” gospel - when scripture emphasizes its corporate implications – not only as a local Body of believers, but much more than even that: God’s grand plan for humanity which covers the entire span of scripture.

Quote:
What I mean by it's not about me is, I am not the focal point of the gospel Christ is. Christ's did have the goal was to save me but His ultimate goal was to further Glorify the Father.

Yes, and even more than Christ alone: It is the kingdom of God – the realm of Christ together with his redeemed people of all ages: “The mystery is that through the gospel the gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Jesus Christ.” Eph. 3:6

When we keep this grand picture in the forefront – we will remember who we are and that keeps us on track. Also, we have VERY good news for our contemporary society. Today, the underlying societal angst is not agonizing guilt, as in the medieval ages, but emptiness, meaninglessness, and purposelessness. These insatiable needs are driving people today to fill them in all manner of ways now familiar to us. The Gospel meets the most pressing needs in today’s society – while pointing us ahead into eternity.

The gospel tells you who you are. It gives you an identity - as heirs of God’s marvelous kingdom. The gospel gives people meaning and fulfilled living – not merely for today, but for eternity. The gospel gives a reason to be alive – and a sense of belonging – honorable sonship – together with the mighty cloud of witnesses. (Heb. 12) The gospel provides purpose and meaning and in that way helps his followers chart out a life walk which synchronizes with God’s grand scheme.

The gospel is resurrection news for the kingdom! “Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.” Rev. 19:7

PS: I noticed a reference to Franklin Graham. That got me thinking: Perhaps he will remain forever on SI the icon of failure in adequately presenting the pearls of the Gospel before his interrogators (I’m referring to another thread); but I wonder if it is any better to accept merely a proclamation of a “personal” gospel - while overlooking the grand picture of God’s covenant promise for humanity – and God’s purpose for his called-out people.

Diane

2012/2/25 15:47Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

pilgrim777 posted on this thread on 2012/2/21 6:19:03

Great post Phillip. you have nailed exactly what the Gospel of Jesus Christ actually is by the many NT verses you quoted, each one saying the same thing: The Good News is not what we accomplished for ourselves by our efforts, but rather - We have become Christians by the will of God, WHO CALLS US, HIS SHEEP, by the FINISHED WORK on JESUS CHRIST ON the cross, WHOSE BLOOD CLEANSES US FROM ALL OUR SINS - PAST, PRESENT, OR FUTURE. JESUS DID IT ALL FOR US ON THE CROSS.

Other comments this thread were good too.

You doubters may ask, what if you commit adultery, are you still saved. Of course you are still saved if you truly accepted the atoning blood of Jesus shed on the cross as the covering of all your sins. Christians are save by the faith of Jesus and by their acceptance of the atoning blood of Jesus shed on the cross.

For the Christian, the Christian who commits adultery is still saved, he does not lose his salvation. I know of several good Christian Pastors who have committed adultery as Pastors. As Pastors of their church, they thought it would never ever happen to them. It was not a sin they would ever commit, so they thought this was true to the day they committed adultery. I learned this through a James Dobson Radio broadcast on adultery by clergy, his guests were several Pastors who had committed adultery. Today, they are still Christians, and to the best of my knowledge, they returned to being good Pastors.

Does this mean Christians can practice adultery with impunity? No! When you become a Christian, you receive the indwelling Holy Spirit, God in us. The Holy Spirit works in us continuously to transform our inner nature to be Holy and good before God. If your obstinate in a sin, The Holy Spirit may even hand you over to Satan for awhile until you see the errors and repent (change course).

Eternal life is God's GIFT to all who accept Jesus Blood as full atonement of all our sins, covering for all our sins, Past, Present, and Future. This we accept by Faith, though it be foolishness from the world's point of view, but God will not have it any other way.

Read John 3:14 - 16.

Jesus states: "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; that whoever believes may in Him have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believe in Him shall have eternal life."

God afflicted the sinful rebellious people of the Exodus with serpent bites, whose poison leads to death.

God instructed Moses to hold up his Serpents Staff for all to see, and to inform the people who were now in the process of dieing, that whoever looks upon Moses Serpents Staff will not die, but rather, they will live.

And as Moses raised his serpents Staff, all who believed the word of God, regardless of how sinful they had been, looked at the Staff Moses were instantly healed and lived.

However those having not faith in God or Moses, and therefore chose in their disbelief to not look Moses Staff, they perished - they died in their sins, regardless of how few their sins may have been.

And as Christians, we have chosen to look upon Jesus who was held up high on the cross, for all to see, and by faith we believed Him, and accepted His blood as the permanent covering of all sins, past, present, and future. This is the good news of Jesus Christ!

"And, this is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.

"If we say that we have fellowship with Him and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

"But if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, AND THE BLOOD OF JESUS HIS SON, CLEANSES US FROM ALL SIN.

"IF WE SAY WE HAVE NO SIN, WE ARE DECEIVING OURSELVES AND THE TRUTH IS NOT IN US.

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us all from all unrighteousness.

"IF we say we have not sinned, we make HIM a liar, and His word is not in us."

i John 5-10

Truly Yours, though mostly God's,

ArtB

2012/3/3 11:00Profile
robertsj

We are all unrighteousness, sinful and all have fallen
short of the glory of God. We all have broken the
commandments and laws of God. Because we have not
kept the commandments and laws, the judgment, condemnation
and wrath of God abides on us. God hates all those who do
iniquity and thus making us children of wrath. No matter
what we try to do to gain acceptance in God’s eyes, God
sees all our ‘good works’ as filthy rags. God is a
righteous God and cannot simply look over our sins. He is
the judge of righteous and all that is good. His divine,
holy nature calls for justice. All men have fallen short
of the glory of God and thus divine judgment must be
handed out. We are destined to be cut off, cursed from
God. The penalty for our sins is the eternal wrath of God,
this is hell!
(Rom. 2:23, Prov. 5:5, Eph 2:3)

BUT GOD – The Good News.

God being rich in his mercy and having great love for us
sent His Son Jesus to be a sacrifice (propitiation) on our
behalf. Jesus stood in the place of our judgment and
condemnation. He became the bearer our sins and God the
father judged, cursed His son and the infinite weight of
Gods holy hatred for sin, was poured upon His only
begotten Son. Justice was poured out on the head of His
son for our sins. When the Spirit of God raised Jesus from
the dead, it was Gods declaration that His sacrifice was
sufficient for the atonement for our sins. Because of the
work on the cross, God’s wrath was appeased and now God
can now extend an olive branch to men. It is a free gift,
by faith not of our own good works or efforts, but because
of what was accomplished on the cross. God redeems men,
when men place their trust in His Son Jesus Christ and
repent of their sins.
(Eph. 2:4, II Cor. 5:21, Rom, 3:25, Mat. 27:46, Gal. 3:10,
Isa 53:10)

Sorry, more than a few sentences. I believe that the only
person to truly speak/preach the Gospel is Jesus Christ
himself! I feel that the Gospel is just too big and too
grand for any moral man to rap his head around.

2012/3/3 16:07Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

While watching Zac Poonen's simulcast today this question was posed to and answered by him, very effectively. Because of the simple and concise nature of his response, this thread came to mind. His answer is offered here for edification as mature fruit from a mature Saint.

"the Gospel is twofold and is complete in 1 verse; John 8:11"
"Neither do I condemn thee:go,and sin no more"

2012/3/3 22:26Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy