Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : To Speak with other Tongues

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
rbanks

To Speak with other Tongues

Hi everyone,

Acts 2:4 (KJV)
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

The bible teaches that when one is baptized or filled with the Holy Spirit that the ability to speak in other tongues is as the Spirit gives the utterance or gives the speaking out. This ability to speak doesn’t come from the mind or thinking but through the Spirit they speak out boldly.

Blessings to all!

2012/2/15 22:39Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: To Speak with other Tongues

Quote:
rbanks wrote:
This ability to speak doesn’t come from the mind or thinking but through the Spirit they speak out boldly.

Rbanks,

Let me share what happened this past Thursday night while praying for a woman to receive the Holy Spirit. We were praying and sort of at a stand-still and the Lord prompted me to ask her if she was given a word but was afraid to speak it because it might sound silly and she immediately said, “Yes!” I asked her what it was and she told me and I said, “That’s it, sister, say it out loud to the Lord ... again.” She started saying it and crumpled at my feet and started to jump back up but I told her to lay there and enjoy the Lord’s presence and within about a minute she was fluently speaking in tongues!!!!

I tell ya brother, I rejoiced mightily; I’ve never seen the Lord do it quite like that; which showed me He is God and can baptize a person any way He wants to!! To God be all the glory!! Hallelujah!

I wrote this to share with you because although it didn't come from her mind (self) but she did receive it in there and had the ability to speak it herself (as we all do). The Holy Spirit will not overtake our vocal cords and speak it out for us, we have to open our mouths and willingly speak what He gives us "in faith". (Just my two cents, brother)

God bless you,
Lisa

2012/2/16 0:31Profile

Re:

What an encouraging testimony Lisa. Loved reading that.

I hope this doesn't turn into a tongues debate, rather a testimony of how Jesus has filled us with His Holy Spirit.

2012/2/16 0:41
jimp

Re:

hi, while confessing my many sins and faults to the Lord i told Him i wasn't very good at being a christian and needed special help and began to speak in other tongues having never been in a pent. church.46years ago and the river is still flowing.

2012/2/16 1:46Profile
waitonGod

Re:

My grandparents raised me in a conservative AG church for the first 7 years of my life, so I knew a little about Pentecost. I lived a pretty moral life, but at 17-years-old I finally understood the the depth of my depravity and gave my heart over to God. This was at a Pentecostal youth camp. Everything seemed different after I got saved. Whereas a move of God's Spirit once made me want to hide under my pew, now I couldn't wait to gather with others in worship. The next night God really blessed me in the service. The following night in the dorms, some boys began to pray and I prayed with them. No one had to yell at me; no one pushed me around; the words in another tongue just began to roll from my mouth! I wasn't asking to be filled, but I was seeking God with all I had. I wasn't seeking tongues, for it is only the evidence. I had never even understood tongues, but that made no difference to God. He knew my heart and my desperate need for Him. Praise the Lord!

2012/4/10 17:53Profile
rbanks

Re:

waitonGod,

Great testimony to the awesomeness of God.

I also was not seeking for tongues when I was filled with the Holy Spirit and found myself speaking in tongues but what was so amazing to me was the feeling I felt and all the many other things I began to do.

Blessings...from brother rbanks

2012/4/10 20:32Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

A friend of mine has a daughter that is about 15 years old. She received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and prayed in tongues, but had never seen the power of the Holy Spirit manifest through her in ministry. Last fall she went to the Dominican Republic on a missions trip. During a time of street witnessing she and the group she was with encountered a man with severe back problems. Though she was a bit timid, she laid her hand on the man and began to pray. She described the anointing of the Holy Spirit coming on her and her praying for the man in tongues. When she stopped all was silent. She opened her eyes to find the interpreter and the man staring at her wide-eyed in wonder. She did not know what had happened and asked. The interpreter said, "You just prayed for this man's healing in perfect, fluent Spanish." She does not known Spanish. It was a blessing to the man, the interpreter, and to me as I listened.

2012/4/10 21:44Profile
rbanks

Re:

Travis,

It is amazing what God does through a willing vessel by the power of His spirit. I have also heard similar testimonies. It is so fulfilling to be used by God.

Blessings...from brother rbanks

2012/4/10 21:54Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Let's be careful not to make an idol out of tongues like the Pentacostal churches DO and remember that it is the LEAST of the gifts.

P.S. Wonderful story Twayneb. That is precisely what a genuine gift of tongues should be and is about.

2012/4/10 22:01Profile
EvangelTam

Re:

hmmm my experience is slightly different, I was saved for around 4 months and previously experienced a measure of God's grace and love multiple times through worship and scripture reading and even at Urbana 09 during one of the skits on John 1. They were very powerful times I felt a supernatural power flow through me that revealed His love, grace, mercy and life. However during those times I did not speak in tongues but rather received a deeper revelation of God.

In the 4th month I was reading the bible on the bus Eph 1 on the Spiritual Blessings we have in Christ and felt a welling in my spirit I immediately want to speak and as I did the tongues came out in whispers, I immediately knew it was tongues but doubted and stopped but found I could continue until the welling stopped. Being raised in a conservative church I knew nothing of tongues and thought that it was a one time thing I quickly forgot about that experience and was not able to pray in tongues afterward.

However 2 months later I was fully baptized in the Holy Spirit with power and prophesied during an altar call at a youth conference, it was only after this experience that I was able to speak in tongues in private prayer and even after that it took time to develop from whispers to a full language with syllables to singing.

2012/4/10 22:06Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy