SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Help! I'm going to church, but I can't find any christians...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougkristen

Help! I'm going to church, but I can't find any christians...

What is the church?

What is the "true" church?

What is the purpose of attending church?

What if the church you attend it not fulling it's purpose?

Do you stay/leave? why? why not?

Just some thoughts to discuss.

Grace,
Doug

2005/1/25 14:12Profile
rookie

Re: Help! I'm going to church, but I can't find any christians...

Thanks to Br. Ron, I know the meaning of what is the church. The greek word translates, "called out."

One might ask what does it mean to be called out? I believe this speaks of the grace of God that works in each individual to remove the affections one has for this world. By faith, one will be led to grab hold of God as He removes the world from us.

The true church is the body of believers that have experienced the grace that leads to the ongoing breaking of the bondage of this world. It is hard to know the true church where the affections for this world still are held onto by those who profess Jesus Christ.

Paul exhorts the church:

16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said:
“I will dwell in them
And walk among them.
I will be their God,
And they shall be My people.”
17 Therefore
“Come out from among them
And be separate, says the Lord.
Do not touch what is unclean,
And I will receive you.”
18 “I will be a Father to you,
And you shall be My sons and daughters,
Says the LORD Almighty.”

I have quit the church I once was deeply involved with, and we as a family have conducted home church. Yet this is not sufficient. If we say we follow Christ, He will always lead us to speak of the Good News. So I must conclude that God will open my blind eyes and restore my heart, and place my family and I in some kind of fellowship. It might be an expanded house church, like the church that exists in China.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/1/25 14:40Profile
dougkristen

Re:

This is good. What if the people you fellowship are still in love with the world? What if their affections are still towards the world?

But what if they do both " go to church and do all the 'christian' things " and also " enjoy watching football, listening to bad music" or whatever that is "worldly". What if they are so inward focused and going the business of the church and forgetting the church's mission?

How do you know you are "called out" to a specific church body?

2005/1/25 14:46Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
How do you know you are "called out" to a specific church body?

Well this is something I have dealt with not too long ago. I moved down to where I live now to attend college. There are many campus ministies and A LOT of churches here. I live in the heart of the Bible belt. The problemt here is that there are sooooo many people going to church but not very many living holy. Most everyone has said the sinners prayer atleast 3 or more times. So I dealt with the same question.. Hmm which church should I go to. Prayer.. as simple as it seems. Yes I know it sounds like the perfect sunday school answer. But hey maybe i learned something in sunday school. Prayer works! :) God has placed my in a very lukewarm "religious" campus ministry and a church that lives eats and breathes the disire to see souls saved at any cost. Yes at times it seems like that I dont belong at the college ministry because it just seems so worldly. Once in prayer He told me just as clear as anything. "I have places you with perfect presicion" Yes at times I have wanted to argue and even at times have. But I know He has placed me there for a reason. Prayer is the key. Why go to church? To listen to your pastor edify the body and purfect the saints for the work of the ministry (through the Holy Sprit of course). Its the reason there are the 5 fold ministry positions.

2005/1/25 16:11Profile
dixierain

Louisiana, U.S.A.

Re: Help! I'm going to church, but I can't find any christians...

If you are not satisfied with your church, there is nothing stopping you from visiting others. Are you unhappy with just your church or your denomination? Find a church/denomination that follows the true word of God and one in which you feel comfortable. It may take several visits and research, but it will be worth it. Going to church is not just about fellowship. It is also about learning. A person can never learn enough about Jesus. It is also about praising the Lord. Pray, ask others to pray for you, and don't be afraid to go where the Lord leads you.

2005/1/25 18:44Profile
rookie

Re:

Since leaving the church I once attended, I have visited others. This is an observation and not something that is cast in stone.

There are two types of churches. The first will have a fellowship that is made up of similiar groups of people. They seem to have the same socio-economic backgrounds and therefore similiar interests. The interests of this kind of fellowship which I have been apart of for much of my church life has centered on extracurricular activities. Things like home improvement, hunting, children's programs, investment and legal advice dominate the conversations during fellowship.

The second type of church is one that has diverse socio-economic backgrounds. In this church there is no overwhelmling shared interests in the things held in common by the people that make up the fellowship. I have found brothers here and there who only have a desire to share the things that we have in common in Christ. The fellowship is dominated by testimony, praise, and the Word of God.

I don't believe that these two types of fellowship can coexist in one congregation without division.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/1/26 11:35Profile

Re:

That was brilliant. What a true observation.

2005/1/26 16:02
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Jeff,

I like your description. There are definitely two types of churches.

The first one is like a social organization. "We love God but he better have us out of here for football (or whatever)." Once the service is over, life goes on as usual. I want Jesus and my life (my idols, my agenda, etc.). We define who Jesus is, rather than allow the Holy Spirit to reveal Jesus in the Word.

The second type of church is simply all about Jesus. What does He want, what is He doing in each other's life? What is the agenda of Jesus? This church centers around Him. There's no talk of outside things unless it's something like Does Jesus want me to do this? There's no hidden agenda.

In the second church, one doesn't know or care if they would otherwise be friends or not but they care only what Jesus wants. The people are brought together solely by this love of Jesus.

I cannot begin to proclaim how happy I am to be in the second type of church. All I can say is thank you Jesus.

2005/1/26 17:44Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: Testemony about my church

Quote:
I cannot begin to proclaim how happy I am to be in the second type of church. All I can say is thank you Jesus.

Brother I can say the same words about my church. Five years ago my Lord has brought me to such kind of church on miraculous way.
I didn't know much about churches, all I knew was that my heart was seeking God and good fellowship in which I will have opportunity to learn more about Him, to see people who follow God, I wanted to see the bible in practise. I had some good christians books from which I for first time read(heard) about the real God from the bible and that is possible for ordinary man to believe and live as God wants. I had not until that point of time met such men. This was my prayer, to meet me with such men to talk about God with them, I was feeling lonely in that period of time. I started reading New Testament. My heart was burning to share with someone what I was feeling in my heart about the faith and God. And this is my testemony and I know that for sure, that God is always, always hearing such cry. He will never be deaf for such request. He will bring you to the right place where His saints are gathering! He will bring you to the place where you will be feed on time, rebuked on time, where you will be build on firm foundation - Jesus. (Just one example: In the that searching time, I entered once the courtyard of one 7-day adventist church, with intention to enter in,but God's voice was very clear: Get out of here! and immediately turned back. Praise God! )
And He did this for me! He was faithful to me and brought me to such place! Do you know where these saints of God were gathering!? Yes, this was the place which I knew where well - in the building of my best friend (we are friends from little, I have been there many times). The church has been there one year before the Lord opened my eyes to see it! This was not classical church building but just simple office with hall of 40 seats.
I am quilty of playing footbal in front of the church and kicking many times the window of the church :-( but I didn't know that there is church until one day when with my friends were sitting in front of his building and I saw some people are exiting from there, I was curious to see what are those people doing there. (Strange are God's ways). I entered the office and saw many books (mine that I had were there, one of them was Peace with God by Billy Graham). That night for the first time I met my pastor. God was leading me miraculously. I didn't know nothing, He has planned everything, my friends, everything.
This church became my church. From then I am there and my God was so graceful for me to lead me in such church where I got firm foundatation. It was and it is no compromise and no wordly church. Its not church as I can see churches in my town and all over the world mixed with the world and with ear tickling messages.
We are little church, 15-20 brothers and sisters, and young church , six years of existence. We have good fellowship not just on the service time but in our daily life, meeting together and live together.
I believe that God has a great plan in my town for my church, His children to grow more in Him and I believe He will add to us more souls.

Many are telling to me: I don't know where to go on church, there are so many, so many doctrines,etc. What to choose?
I am answering them: Will not God show you and bring you to the right place if you are asking Him sincerely? I didn't know which church either.
And this is my testemony : If you are searching with all you heart God will show you and bring you even with no human labours to the right people and right place for you and your spiritual growth!

Blessings to all,
Kire

p.s. I believe such place on internet is SI. ;-)

2005/1/26 20:24Profile
rookie

Re:

Kire wrote:

Quote:
If you are searching with all you heart God will show you and bring you even with no human labours to the right people and right place for you and your spiritual growth!

Thankyou for your exhortation, to me it seems like I've put that prayer on hold.

God Bless
Jeff

2005/1/27 15:43Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy