SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics :  If your God is so great, why doesn’t He speak MY language?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

If your God is so great, why doesn’t He speak MY language?

"In 1917, William Cameron Townsend "Uncle Cam", age 19, went to Guatemala as a missionary. He hoped to preach in Spanish and sell Spanish Bibles. Over the next few days, he preached and tried to sell Bibles, but the people did not respond. A few days later, an old man speaking only broken Spanish said to him, “Mister, if your God is so great, why doesn’t He speak MY language?” Cameron Townsend knew that God certainly spoke this man’s language (Cakchiquel), but it hadn’t been written down. Over the next 17 years, Cameron learned their language and translated the New Testament into Cakchiquel so the people could know God and worship Him in their heart language.

But it didn’t stop there. Uncle Cam wondered how many more languages there might be in the world. Uncle Cam founded SIL and Wycliffe Bible Translators--organizations dedicated to translating God’s Word into all the languages of the world.

At first, Uncle Cam thought there might be 500 language groups that needed to have God’s Word translated. Today, we know there are over 6,800 languages in the world. Only 5-6% of the world’s languages have the entire Bible in their language! Only 30% have any portion of the Bible in their language. If we continue doing translation at the same rate that translation has been done in the past 100 years, it will take us 150 years to reach the remaining language groups that don’t have ANY scripture in their language. That’s too long for some people to wait!"

http://www.wycliffenextgen.com/page/about-us-history

2012/2/13 19:08Profile

Re: If your God is so great, why doesn’t He speak MY language?

"and sell Spanish Bibles"

You lost me at the word sell..

2012/2/13 19:14
jimp

Re: If your God is so great, why doesn’t He speak MY language?

hi, in a country as large as turkey and turkey was in the bible (antioch)they did not have a bible in their language until 25 years ago and that print shop was burned to the ground years ago.

2012/2/13 19:17Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy