SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Halooooo, Any Bikers in here??

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Sidewalk

San Diego

Halooooo, Any Bikers in here??

I guess this would be one of those things that doesn’t fit in the other discussion categories, so begging the moderators’ indulgence I’ll drop it in here. I hope it is not too far out of line!

Every year, on the Wednesday that precedes the Memorial Day weekend by 10 days, several hundred bikers leave the LA area to ride across the country to the Viet Nam wall in Washington DC. Many of them, myself included, are war vets who have found the trip to have a great emotional impact and for some, genuine healing. While it is not a “Christian” event, it has a strong Christian tone and many of the chaplains who accompany the riders are genuine believers. I have been able to share the testimony of my relationship with Jesus Christ, and the general reverence of the mission somehow opens people to hear in a special way. It is wonderful to see big tough bikers kneeling with tears. Some are just coming back to abandoned faith, some are seeing Christianity in a new and compelling light. No one is really keeping score, but I firmly believe some lives are being born anew on this ten-day motorcycle odyssey.

Some of the riders are old vets who have never been to The Wall, and are so emotionally bound up they can hardly make it to where they will see the names of their friends carved in the black granite. I take lots of Kleenex, and use most of that on my own face. 45 years, with memories and emotions just below the surface- would that everyone could witness this. For me it is once again falling into the warm and loving arms of my Savior, and I love helping someone else do the same.

So, a couple things: If you ride (or want to come by car- no problem) and think you might like to be involved, everyone is invited to participate. Some ride only for a day or two, some will ride all the way. (I ride the whole thing.) For more information you can go to RFTW.org (Run For The Wall) to see the routes. There are so many bikes that they divide the group into two routes, one through the central part of the country, another dips south. Both groups arrive in Washington about the same time on the Friday before Memorial Day.

I will be on the Southern route, and would love to meet any of my new Sermon Index friends at one of the nightly stops! Leaving LA on May 16th we stop over at Phoenix, Las Cruces NM, Odessa TX, Grand Prairie TX, Monroe LA, Meridian MS, Chattanooga TN, Wytheville VA, and Salem/ Roanoke VA. We end up in Arlington, Virginia on the 25th.

If anyone is interested, post here and we’ll correspond off the forum. I participate in the discussion forum at RFTW.org as: LaiKhe67tc

2012/2/13 12:39Profile
Compton

Re: Halooooo, Any Bikers in here??

Sidewalk,

I'm not a biker, but if I were near any of those cities in May, I would enjoy meeting you! (I grew up near Roanoke Va.)

Years ago I helped out with providing Saturday evening services for a local bike ministry up here in Ohio. Since I am a firm believer in 4 wheels;) I initially wondered if I belonged there , but I soon found out that many of the men and women attracted to riding are also attracted to honesty and sincerity without pretense. As such, we got along just fine.

I know the Lord will be travelling with you on your motocycle odyssey.

MC

2012/2/15 11:41Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re:

Thank you Mike!

Sometimes on the bike forums they have some friendly back and forth as to what constitutes a real biker. Like- "If you have ever replaced the engine on your bike........ in the kitchen, you are probably a real biker!"

Alas, I have no tattoos and my bike is not a Harley- I live in a house and have a car. I don't have to be a biker, but when I get out there more than a day's ride from home, Real Biker kicks in.

I have found bikers to be friendly and talkative, so sharing the gospel is often fun and easy. Many either are Christians, or at least sympathetic to the Christian roots of America. They are usually very patriotic.

As you might expect, spiritual conversations revolve around practical living issues, not so much theological theory. I don't think I have ever explored atonement theories or the development of concupiscence in any of those terms, but the love Jesus expressed in Gethsemane is fair game.

Funny how God meets people where they are. He seems particularly drawn to humble men.

2012/2/15 23:25Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy