SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How do you forgive?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dixierain

Louisiana, U.S.A.

How do you forgive?

I usually have no problem forgiving someone who may have done something to me personally. I do not hold grudges. I am, however, having a terrible time forgiving on a larger scale. For example, how do you forgive people who have betrayed or disrespect your entire country?

I am a deeply patriotic person. I love my country, our veterans, our president, and our soldiers. It causes me a great deal of pain when someone is disrespectful to any of the above.

My grandfather fought on Omaha Beach on D-Day and saw terrible things which changed his life forever. What of the people who have turned their backs on WWII veterans and have forgotten or just don't care about the sacrifices they made?

I guess what I'm asking is this: Is it required of us, as Christians, to forgive even when forgiveness is not asked of us - even when people do not want our forgiveness and continue the betrayal? If so, how can a person forgive when his or her heart shatters every time the betrayal or disrespect occurs?

I would really appreciate any and all input. I'm not sure if I explained clearly enough the problem I'm having, so feel free to ask me questions if you need to. And thank you!

2005/1/25 10:08Profile
andrewjames

vermont

Re: How do you forgive?

Hello Sister,
God loves our honest hearts and our questions. I think it is important to remember that whatever our Heavenly Father asks of us He does not ask us to do it on our own. I believe that if you spend time with Him then he will give you His heart and you will no longer need to ask the question of how to forgive or how to repent but simply "How do I love you Lord."
Keep asking such honest questions with an open heart and the answers you seek will surely find you:)
Blessings
Andy

2005/1/25 11:15Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

The [i]how[/i] of forgiveness is found in turning your eyes upon Jesus. Whenever I am offended I have to ask God what it is that I have not surrendered to Him. Because if I had truly surrendered all then I am nothing, I have no rights, and therefore nothing to be offended about.

By looking unto Jesus and His work on the Cross, the debt that He has payed, a debt that we could never pay ourselves, an unforgiving spirit cannot remain. For how can we ask God to forgive us an unpayable debt and not forgive a man for a mere pittance?

Remember too, forgiveness does not mean you are giving your approval of a persons behavior, God does not wink at sin and neither should we. God will repay all sinners according to their deeds in His own time, but in great mercy preferring that the sinner should come to repentence and forgiveness.

In Christ,

Ron

2005/1/25 11:25Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

a missionary to Japan once said 'the perfect character is expressed in...
1. Thankfulness towards God
2. Humility towards self
3. Generosity to all others
and then he would say... all three depend upon a deep and personal experience of forgiveness.

You can see the logic, I'm sure.

1. God has forgiven me, I am grateful to Him
2. If I have begun to see the extent of my need for forgiveness and the measure of God's love in forgiving me, I am never going to have anything to boast about!
3. If I have seen myself, and how God has behaved towards me, I will want to show that same love and forgiveness to others.

It is hard to say "I will not forgive" within the sound of "Father, forgive them..."

2005/1/25 11:41Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Quote:

dixierain wrote:

I guess what I'm asking is this: Is it required of us, as Christians, to forgive even when forgiveness is not asked of us - even when people do not want our forgiveness and continue the betrayal? If so, how can a person forgive when his or her heart shatters every time the betrayal or disrespect occurs?

I would really appreciate any and all input... And thank you!

Keith Daniel has an excelent sermon on forgiveness called "Forgiveness". My imput is to watch or listen to the sermon. It has shown me the power of our God working in and through our lives to forgive. Check it out.

2005/1/25 11:57Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

As hard as it is to say, it is even harder to put into practice. We mst forgive, even when people do not want or did not ask to be forgiven. Sometimes people will not even admit they have done anything wrong. We forgive for we have been forgiven and we exhibit our love for the Father by forgiving as we have been forgiven. Jesus cried out for the people’s forgiveness when he was on the cross. They never asked for it, nor did they desire it nor did they admit to doing any wrong. Yet the forgiveness was extended to them. It is hard not to be bitter, especailly when it seems as if we have a right to be so. That is what sets us apart from the world. We operate under a different system. It is not easy, but then Jesus never said he’d make life easier. When it comes to forgivness, wether they want it or not, acknowledge their wrong or even show remorse, cannot be stipulations for US forgiving THEM. Vengeance belongs to God alone, he will repay. Bitterness can come from unforgiveness and bitterness, is in my opinion, a desire to repay a wrong you feel. Let God deal with the punishment and judgment of others, we forgive them and go on. It is not easy but it is worth the effort for draws us closer to the Father, helps us to understand His forgivness and frees us in the process.

2005/1/25 12:38Profile
dixierain

Louisiana, U.S.A.

Re:

Thank you so much for that beautiful reply.

Thank you all for your input.

I know it will be very hard for me to do this, but I am praying that Jesus will guide me. Before now, I did not even want to try.

2005/1/25 15:01Profile
dohzman

Matt-5:38-48 Here's what I practice on a regular basis, first I read often the beatitudes of Jesus Christ and the Epistles of John 12 or more times throughout the year, especially in times of either intense OT studying or intense trials. Secondly - do the word, forgiveness much like love isn't done with our emotions but by a volition of our wills.(Ron gave out an outline from a missionary friend of his which is an excellant outline to do). Third and most importantly is to pray for those who you fell have dispitelyfully used you or in this case your country.It's very difficult to have something against people(s) you are praying for.And always ask for grace(heb 4:16) --- grace is the power of God he gives us freely so that we may do his word.I think He takes pleasure in giving us this grace as it shows our desire to be obedient and dependent to and on him.

2005/1/25 18:11Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy