SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Debating and the value of genuine testimony

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Debating and the value of genuine testimony

Religion is so much like politics. Everyone seems to have an argument for their side and sometimes it can come down to getting physical. When it comes to Christianity such things are very prevalent in picks but also in discussion boards. It is a reason why many are turned off to religious beliefs. Yet what I don't see very often is genuine testimony of God doing things in the lives of people. I don't think it is enough to say God help me find my car keys, OR, pray for my (spouse, child, etc) and never hear much about it afterward. Or how about someone giving a testimony of God in their life yet it is so vague that how can others rejoice except to just simply agree in whatever it is they are rejoice with in the other person.

When a christian keeps a testimony, especially a generic sounding one vocal it really doesn't do much to the hearing of someone who isn't a christian. How many times do you really that God did something in someone's life when hearing a generic sounding testimony? It doesn't build my faith, for me it only ruffles my feathers and leaves me wonder where is God, really?

I have to wonder, in the genericness of alot of testimonies does it also correlate to the politics of religion?

I also struggle to hear testimony that enrich what faith I have in God and it really is hard for me to rejoice in something I find generic. I got a cold, I took some vitamins and just prayed and God healed me, really? Is that really something God did? What about those who did the same thing but didn't pray and had the same thing happen to them? Do you see where I am going?

Let me share this because I find it rather peculiar. I work in an office 10 hours a day. Been in this job for 3 1/2 years. 5 other ladies are on this office but not all at the same time. During this whole time I have never been sick. I have had ocassional headaches and been tired but no flu, stuffy noses, etc. Meanwhile the others have been sick and even recently I have noticed and outbreak of this stuff going on, such as round 2 of it. 1 lady at work always disinfects her desk yet gets sick. I take ocasional supplements, but I am not necessarily disinfecting my table and such. I am not catching anything, yet. Should such a circumstance be raised as a testimony of God keeping me immune to this or is this just a freak of nature? I find it rather peculiar. I am careful when I am around sick people but I am not necessarily lysoling the space around me.

2012/2/11 16:38Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: Debating and the value of genuine testimony

My belief is that there is nothing that happens in the life of a believer that is happen-stance. It is all part of God's wonderful Providence, good or bad happenings are all from Him.

However, I would not broadcast this to your workmates, lest you seem to be bragging. If you want to brag about God and His wonderful care of you, do it here among other believers. If any one of them were to remark to you about your particular 'good health' you would be given an opening to direct the praise to Him. Do you understand what I am saying?

I think 3 1/2 years is a wonderful testimony of His good care by the way.

Kind regards,
white stone

2012/2/11 18:51Profile
Elibeth

Re: Debating and the value of genuine testimony

Yes I have several testimonies, of the Lord in my life.

I often thought to share ,...and have ,to,some..but just would not feel like
It was the time on here?

But now that you ask..
It might be a bit lengthy,..maybe in part.

The Lord drawed me to Himself at a real young age.,..by His Grace.
His Spirit made me feel like,..if I didnot follow Him then,..I would not ever
Have another chance,...the dread of this was very great.(it was His Grace)

.GRACE:The Devine inffluence upon the heart, and it's reflection in the life.

So I bowed very low...and whatever He wanted me to give-up or be,that is what I would do. (I later realized, He wanted to empty me out,in order
To fill me...to take my old garment,..clothing,..and to clothe me with His
Rightiousness Way.
I followed Him, but there was one thing,that I just couldnot do.And that was
To tell the Lord,' I will do whatever You want me to do.' I would follow Him, but I just couldnot say this,because there was always this inside of me that would say,' you know you just cannot promise this because , He may ask you to do something,..and you may not do it .....and you know,you just can't say this to the Lord and not do whatever He ask.So this is the way I went for many years.And I remember one day,I decided,that I was going to do something that He had brought me out of,..And He spoke to me as all
gental voice and said,' The ways of this world, are not My Ways.'
Nevertheless I didnot forget God,but He became NOT my First love...
My home,..my family became my first love.
This went on for several years,and when I walked with Him singley,He gives us much Light to see how we are to walk,but the more we get back
out of the Light,..the less we can see His Way,..and we sort of drift into our own thing....still caring about Him,..going to Bible studies with others and enjoying it ... etc. ...

Then as time went on,in about in 1994-1995,the Lord again, through His Grace, was drawing me to a real desire for more of Him.( He is SO long suffering with us,which I am so greatful for)at this time, in my life I was really able to say to Him, ' I am willing to follow You,..and then so I could not miss any unwillingness in my heart,that I might not could see, I said,..
' I am willing Lord, but if there be any unwillingness in me please take it away. And what happened then, I didnot know was going to happen.
It was like a Light shined into my eyes and went down into my heart.
,..and the Lord opened my understanding of the Scriptures.
It was glorious ! ( not that I know all,or understand all things,..we could study forever and learn more and more of Him, and His Ways forever and
still not learn it all.)

Please understand, I am not worthy of the Lord's tender mercies,..
I am but clay,dirt.,..it is to God be the Glory ,...there is a High calling to God
And His Way,that, we are to keep reaching for.
I must stop for now.
Elizabeth

2012/2/11 21:42Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I hear what you are saying but it doesn't quite get to my point. The debate part is that there seems to be more debating amongst christians about who is right and who is wrong on many topics and then it carries out to political issues to the extent in which religious belief becomes one of politics driven by the flesh then it is of personal devotion. Ask anyone who has walked away from the church and they will tell you a similiar story. On the flip side, if God is real we don't always seem to hear the stories of God working in the lives of people. Stories of torture and persecution as pushed but the regular person, where is there story? Or does God move in such a way it is hard to tell it is God vs. just a natural part of life? Do you see where I am going?

Quote:

by White_Stone on 2012/2/11 15:51:04

My belief is that there is nothing that happens in the life of a believer that is happen-stance. It is all part of God's wonderful Providence, good or bad happenings are all from Him.

However, I would not broadcast this to your workmates, lest you seem to be bragging. If you want to brag about God and His wonderful care of you, do it here among other believers. If any one of them were to remark to you about your particular 'good health' you would be given an opening to direct the praise to Him. Do you understand what I am saying?

I think 3 1/2 years is a wonderful testimony of His good care by the way.

Kind regards,
white stone
Quote:

2012/2/12 9:17Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Elibeth

Your words are very similiar to a devotional type of thing. Now it wasn't exactly what I was asking for BUT I am glad you brought this forward! Your words about Loving God more than family and your home are words that I think most CHristians take for granted, including me. It almost seems as those who do go to the mission field are living examples of that for they leave 'home' to go present the gospel and love on people.

SOmething else is said in your words that isn't necessarilyl written and I catch on to this more and more. It may be an unwritten reason why I bring this topic up as well. As Christians we tend to believe God is always speaking to us but when we give testimony it always seems to be through circumstances to valid what we think God is doing and this happens in time periods. I don't necessarily hear testimonies and experiences in which people talk about God speaking to their hearts about whatever situation vs. using the circumstance to say God did this type of thing. Does this make sense? My logical side asks if GOd is always speaking why don't we always share some of them with other Christians? Or maybe they are just too personal? That could be true.

2012/2/12 9:27Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Deadn,

I am not really sure what it is you are saying,..it is probably,not you,but me,
just not understanding.

But as for testimony,..is it alright if I share more ?
Well,I was hungry for the Word,and after I could get my family off to
work,and do my basic's, I would read the Word for hours and hours, while they were gone,..then stop in time to cook supper and do for them.
I loved it ! Then after I had the experience I had told you about,.then it was
such a joy.
Then the Lord really impressed upon my heart to do a study on ' the kingdom of God'.
I was not being disrespectful to Him, but wondered,..of all subjects,..Why the kingdom of God?

But I began and compiled and compiled on this subject.
And after quite some time,..I was never quite satisfided,..but laid it aside
and studied other things.

Then some time later, one morning when I was rising out of bed, the
words just rolled out of my spirit,..'the kingdom of God is the resurrected Lord in us,'...it was so exciting,..I could not hardly wait to prepare breakfast and get my family off to work, so I could confirm it with the Word.
The King must be Lord... Rule.
I realized:
* John the Baptist came preaching 'the kingdom of God
* Jesus came preaching ' the kingdom of God
* Paul and the others preached the kingdom of God, the principles and the things pertaining to the kingdom .
He taught me, the kingdom of God is within us,
That where there is a kingdom, there is a King, and that King,is Jesus.
He comes in by way of the Holy Spirit to rule,..be Lord in our lives.
It is the Life of God In us.

And of all the subjects He could have wanted for me to study,this was above all.
Lovingly,
Elizabeth

2012/2/12 21:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy