SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is God showing you today?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

What is God showing you today?

Greetings

In my study time this morning I have been thinking on my walk with Christ. I have been reading and seeking to truly understand what it means to "know" JESUS the person and how that looks in a real and practical way as we live daily with one another and in HIM. I was wondering if anyone felt like sharing the things CHRIST is showing you in your own walk??
For me...He has been showing me how I still at times lack faith and my need to trust in HIM. This does effect my daily walk with HIM and even the choices I make. I realize far to often I still rely on self in many areas. A brother in Christ wrote me this in an email over a year ago and its still not something I feel I have done, and yet I want to...At this point I am not sure if it is fear, control, or something else that holds me back? I am thankful for the question though it keeps me seeking HIM!

(quote)
What if you never “feel” spiritual? What if you are never “somebody”? What if the trials and pressures of this world only get worse? What if everyone around you, including your children reject Jesus? Are you willing to just treat Him for the rest of your life as the King He is? Will you subject yourself and ALL your wants to Him? The failures? Responding to Jesus with full abandonment of all that we want is the definition of faith. You don’t muster that up. Faith, Abandonment, LOVE, Obedience, Yielding, Believing, Hoping – they are all the same: letting go of what we want and letting Him have the place He deserves in our life.

Now I would like to hear what the LORD is showing others if you feel led :)

God bless
mary

2012/2/9 14:15Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re: What is God showing you today?

“Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.” Rom 6:6

What is the old man? He also uses here the phrase “the body of sin.” Actually there are about four different phrases that Paul uses. There’s the “old man”, “the body of sin”, “the body of the sins of the flesh” and “the flesh.” Its not easy to define… I would say myself, what he is talking about is the old nature that is born into every descendant of Adam. He’s talking about a nature. You could call it the Adamic nature that nature can be summed up in one word, which is Rebel…

But the message of the gospel, the good news is the execution took place 19 centuries ago when Jesus died on the cross. Our old man was crucified in him this is a historical fact… Paul says in Rom 6:6, “Knowing this.” And then in Rom 6:11 he says “Likewise also reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God” “Likewise also reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God…

Paul says reckon yourselves to be dead to sin. Why? On the basis of what took place on the cross. Because God executed the old man in Jesus. Our old man is executed.

But I have to know it and I have to reckon it.

2012/2/9 15:22Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

What is the old man? He also uses here the phrase “the body of sin.” Actually there are about four different phrases that Paul uses. There’s the “old man”, “the body of sin”, “the body of the sins of the flesh” and “the flesh.” Its not easy to define… I would say myself, what he is talking about is the old nature that is born into every descendant of Adam. He’s talking about a nature. You could call it the Adamic nature that nature can be summed up in one word, which is Rebel…

But the message of the gospel, the good news is the execution took place 19 centuries ago when Jesus died on the cross. Our old man was crucified in him this is a historical fact… Paul says in Rom 6:6, “Knowing this.” And then in Rom 6:11 he says “Likewise also reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God” “Likewise also reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God…

I agree with your post. Just to clarify further I want to explain the difference between Old man and Flesh. I believe we need to know the difference between old man and flesh to understand the state of life explained in Romans 6.

Flesh :- The desire in us that rebels against God's command. It is our attachment to the world. Something that pulls us in opposite direction.

Old Man:- Old man is he who was living by yielding to Flesh freely. He did not know the ways of God and was happily enjoying satisfying the desires of Flesh. It can be said that the old man was married to Flesh so he lived satisfying its needs.

When we accept Jesus as our savior, God kills the old man. So we are now a new man who is no longer married to Flesh. We are not obliged to listen to the Flesh. The marriage I referred is broken because the Old man was dead. Which means we still have the flesh but we do not live yielding to it.

2012/2/9 15:36Profile

Hi MJ,

To know Jesus is to encounter Him. Now this encounter can come in a thousand different ways. It can come in dreams and visions, quite rare in my experience. It can come in alone times of prayer, this is most common for myself. It can come corporately, relatively rare nowadays I would say. This manifest presence, this shekinah, this felt presence, always leads to changes in our lives.

It increases our passion and our love for HIm. It gives us a greater desire to read His word. It gives illumination to the revelation of His word. It makes me love my enemies more. It makes me love my brothers and sisters in Christ more. It makes me want to follow Him more closely and it increases my sensitivity to sin. It gives me a hunger and thirst for more of Him. It gives me a great desire to "go home."

It increases my love for the things that He loves. My reverence of His majesty and glory intensifies. To be conciously aware of His presence is a beautiful thing and it is a gift from God that He would condecend to reveal Himself to one such as I. It makes me aware of my smallness. It makes me aware of the fact that I am a child of God. Every time I experience it, the things of the world lose more of its grip on me. After a while, the only thing that is of any consequence is Him. All of your pleasures you derive from Jesus. All of your hope is in Him.

It makes this time on earth seem very short when you have glimpsed into eternity. It takes all the fear out of dying. In fact it takes all the fear out of everything. All of this and more is what I consider are the benefits of " knowing," Jesus............ bro Frank

2012/2/9 15:42

What is God showing me today.

The simple fact that is there is nothing that will confront a follower of our Lord in the day to day functioning within our communities that the rest of the world also faces.

How we respond to these circumstances will be noticed by family and friends and will leave a long lasting impression whether we respond in a positive, or negative manner.

2012/2/9 17:49
jimp

Re:

hi, the Lord has told me how proud and haughty we are who are critics of ministries, even questionable ministries and that is why a lot of our prayers are not answered. He showed me that i am fortunate to be in the family and that i have failed many times and that i should not say anything about anyone else that is negative for if it were not for the grace and mercy of Jesus i would be a complete failure.He has shown that i need to weep at the altar for those ministries and keep my mouth shut unless i am talking to a physical or spiritual child that God has intrusted me to grow up.

2012/2/9 19:27Profile

Re:

HI jimp, as long as you dont critizise others or have a critical spirit of your brothers and sisters, you are on good ground. Pride can be amazing, sometimes we are even proud of the things that we do not do......bro Frank

2012/2/9 19:47
jimp

Re:

hi, the reason why God spoke to me about this problem is that it has been a problem for me ,and is one of my failures. i am quite old and am in the being ready today mold... making sure there is oil in my lamp. i am dealing with me , the one who will soon stand naked and alone before a thrice holy God .you deal with what you need to deal with for God never has mentioned your name to me.jimp

2012/2/9 21:19Profile
mela07

great post. He has been teaching me to keep my eyes on Jesus Christ, that He is everything everything, and that He is the head of all principalities and powers.

2012/2/9 21:26Profile
dvndsn

Kentucky

I have been praying for the strength to memorize scripture! I am one of those who NEVER understood how anyone could memorize scripture. It's so hard! Currently, my wife and I are doing John Piper's Baptist Catechism. We memorize 3 scriptures per question, and move on at a week per question pace. We are blessed because He has been faithful to help us thus far. The Catechism can be found here: http://www.desiringgod.org/about/our-distinctives/our-beliefs/a-baptist-catechism

It has occured to me that this is one of the first things the new believer should do: memorize a catechism!

I am also praying about going on mission to Indonesia, where the population is 90% muslim, and serving on my churches missions committee as well. God willing, I hope to glorify Him in these three endeavors.

2012/2/9 22:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy