SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Theological Soldier

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
pilgrim777
Member



Joined: 2011/9/30
Posts: 1211


 The Theological Soldier

The bald-headed,
bespectacled theologian
Sits in his cluttered cubicle
of narrow thought,
Anguishing in labor pains
as he tries to give birth
To a new Scriptural connotation,
as yet untaught.


There musing
over the monumental mass
Of theological trivia
and religious misinformation,
He fervently concludes
that God intends him
To combat this pseudo-theology
with derogative exhortation.


Then thoughtlessly stumbling
to the window
Of his cubicle of supposed
sound doctrinal action,
He triumphantly thrusts out
his theological musket
To open fire on what must surely
be a satanic faction.


Standing firm
as a dedicated Christian soldier,
He fires each round
and apologetically defends
What he considers
the true word of God,
Hoping through such tactical warfare
to make amends.


Having thoroughly bombarded
all opponents
With his barrage
of theological prate,
He scurries to his padded chair
to say with Paul to Timothy,
"I have fought the good fight;
I have kept the faith."


This being the preoccupation
of many self-made theologians,
Where is the broad-minded person,
possibly labeled a religious "dove,"
Who with Christian ardor will say,
"In essentials unity,
In non-essentials liberty,
In all things LOVE."

--Aaron Eskridge

 2012/2/7 16:22Profile









 Re: The Theological Soldier

Onward theological soldiers marching as to war..........

Love it. Sad to say all to true. Particularly here. God make us more soldiers of your love.

Blaine

 2012/2/7 16:27
myfirstLove
Member



Joined: 2005/11/26
Posts: 496


 Re: The Theological Soldier

Lets make sure we're not pointing this poem like a gun with unrightoes judgements, especially toward brethren we hardly know. That wouldn't be love.

Love is deeper than feelings..

Our reaction in the way we post exposes how much love (mercy, long sufferings, patience..) we have for brethren. The many words we use exposes our heart. Do we really take the time to listen when brethren speak, and with mercy answer them out of a right heart, using God's word as our guide, letting His word speak, and not our feelings that could easily be corrupted with anger, jelousy..especially when we are not lead by His Spirit? or do we quickly label them with a gun filled with pride?

In Christ,
Lisa


_________________
Lisa

 2012/2/7 17:00Profile
pilgrim777
Member



Joined: 2011/9/30
Posts: 1211


 Re:

Hey there Lisa,

Thanks for joining the conversation.
I like some of yours and Sean's articles.

http://lisascott.weebly.com/
http://preachingjesus.wordpress.com/

Not sure what you are saying in your post. Could you be a bit more direct?

All the best,
Pilgrim

 2012/2/7 17:08Profile
myfirstLove
Member



Joined: 2005/11/26
Posts: 496


 Re:

Hi Pilgrim,

I just started reading the forums again and very sadden how many are quickly judging others with false accusations. Seems many aren't really taken the time to hearing each other out or even wanting to dialog maturely about God's word. This poem you shared could easily be used to judge others and some could take it the wrong way because of all the tension going on. Yes, I find the poem very true, but i can see it being used wrongly by others because of the timing. Not saying you are using it that way, but many could take this and run with it in an immature way because of the timing. Does that make sense?

In Christ,
Lisa


_________________
Lisa

 2012/2/7 17:19Profile
Miccah
Member



Joined: 2007/9/13
Posts: 1752
Wisconsin

 Re: The Theological Soldier

Pilgrim777. What is the point of this post?

I've read something similar to this before...

Luke 18:9-14, "Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”


After reading this post and the comments you have made lately, as in the attacks that have come upon the Lord's people who cherish His word... I truly see you in the place of the pharasee.

Are you beating your chest, as the tax collector, or are you thanking the Lord that you are not like the tax collector?.?.?.


_________________
Christiaan

 2012/2/7 17:22Profile









 Re:

"I just started reading the forums again and very sadden how many are quickly judging others with false accusations."

I have been gone for a year and a half or so and something really struck me recently as I started reading the forum again. The people who pretend to be the most Christ centered, grace centered, anti-legalistic, and loving usually come across as the most fake. They use these covers to make their often times unrighteous judgments seem genuine.

This is probably the worst type of Pharisee-ism
(I am not speaking to anyone on this thread).

On the other hand - for those who have been burned by legalism in their past, they are just being extra careful. There is no need to slander brethren in the process of their being careful though. There is error on both side of the highway of holiness. I have fallen for both in the past - haven't others? Why the need to judge so recklessly then?

God bless His true saints and keep us from error on the left hand and the right. -Jim

 2012/2/7 17:30
pilgrim777
Member



Joined: 2011/9/30
Posts: 1211


 Re:

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the explanation. This post was not meant as you think it was. However, I just saw through your response and Miccah's something interesting and very indicative of many posts on SI and probably other forums. And I am guilty of it, too. I don't know if it is the limitations of Internet communication or not. But, I see that almost every post can be taken wrong. It really all depends on us, doesn't it?

I have read some good posts from you and Sean on your respective blogs and realize that we have more in common than not.

That is why I was saying "In essentials unity, In non-essentials liberty, In all things LOVE."

I could fellowship with you and Sean with no problem. Now, I don't require my wife to wear a headcovering and I don't know if that would be a problem with you or not. It seems like my wife could be part of a fellowship with you but would not be able to share during the gathering of the Saints. Would I be correct in assuming that?

This has bothered me a bit and I just wanted to ask you. The Bible says that where two or more are gathered in My Name, I Am there in the midst of you (referring to Jesus).

So, does that mean everytime you are in mixed company with other Believers that the women should have a head covering on? Sorry, I'm a bit naive on this and maybe many others of us are. Just curious if there are rules or guidelines that you follow when you wear the headcovering. Is it everytime that you are in company of two or more?

Do you and Sean see this as an "essential" to fellowship with others that may see it as a "non-essential".

I'm sorry if things may have gotten a bit emotional. But my questions here are very sincere and maybe you could educate those of us that see it as a "non-essential".

And most importantly, to what degree of fellowship would you welcome those that don't wear a head covering? The reason I ask is because a gathering of Saints is only as rich and meaningful as what we bring from the Lord to the gathering. So, if a large block of Believers are not allowed to speak, then we will be potentially missing a lot that the Lord may want to share with us.

Blessings to you and Sean,
Pilgrim

 2012/2/7 17:42Profile









 Re:

Hi Pilgrim,

I'll do my best to answer your questions. If we are in a mixed company with other believers, we don't dictate that other women must have a head covering on by any means (who are we to do that?). In our personal weekly fellowship, at this point, I'm pretty much in agreement with what Zac Poonen has said.

"And in conclusion, as to the practice in our churches: We do not force any sister to cover her head (against her wish/conviction) in our meetings – because if she does this under compulsion, it will be a dead work; and God wants only cheerful givers of obedience (2 Cor.9:7). We will not judge such a sister either. We will graciously assume that she does not have light on this subject. But at the same time, if she does not cover her head, we will not permit her to publicly pray or prophesy in our churches – because we understand this to be the command of God – as explained in this article. We also believe that this is how it is practiced “in all the churches of God” (1Cor.11:16). We do not judge other churches that do things differently from us, in this or in any other area. But we fear God and desire to obey Him fully, even if some sisters (or their husbands) are offended by our stand on this matter and as a result, leave our churches."

So I agree. The scripture speak of praying or prophesying publicly. That's not to say that people can't share testimonies and such..but the scripture speak of praying and prophesying. In our fellowship we also share a meal together, so there is definitely time for more unstructured fellowship and conversations.

You said: "So, if a large block of Believers are not allowed to speak, then we will be potentially missing a lot that the Lord may want to share with us."

Just being sincere, but I don't think this is a good road to go down. We could say, "Well, if we don't allow women to teach and have authority of over men and be elders, then there is potentially a lot that we could be missing out on". But the bible speaks to these issues also. The church needs to be structured the way God has instructed us. Foundations are important.

 2012/2/7 19:39
pilgrim777
Member



Joined: 2011/9/30
Posts: 1211


 Re:

Quote:
I'll do my best to answer your questions. If we are in a mixed company with other believers, we don't dictate that other women must have a head covering on by any means (who are we to do that?). In our personal weekly fellowship, at this point, I'm pretty much in agreement with what Zac Poonen has said.

"And in conclusion, as to the practice in our churches: We do not force any sister to cover her head (against her wish/conviction) in our meetings – because if she does this under compulsion, it will be a dead work; and God wants only cheerful givers of obedience (2 Cor.9:7). We will not judge such a sister either. We will graciously assume that she does not have light on this subject.



But truthfully, assuming she "does not have light on the subject" is kind of making a judgement isn't it? I guess what you are saying is if she had light then she would have a head covering on. Not trying to be difficult. Afterall it is a judgement that you are making regarding the amount of light she has on the subject. Right? Ok, fair enough.

Quote:
But at the same time, if she does not cover her head, we will not permit her to publicly pray or prophesy in our churches – because we understand this to be the command of God – as explained in this article. We also believe that this is how it is practiced “in all the churches of God” (1Cor.11:16). We do not judge other churches that do things differently from us, in this or in any other area. But we fear God and desire to obey Him fully, even if some sisters (or their husbands) are offended by our stand on this matter and as a result, leave our churches."



Understood. If you believe it to be a command of God then no one should go against that in your gathering. That's just being polite and common sense. Although, it's not practiced in "all the churches of God".

And you don't "judge" other churches once again with the exception that they just don't have the light on the subject. And that is understandable too because of what you or Zac said a couple of paragraphs back regarding light.

Quote:
So I agree. The scripture speak of praying or prophesying publicly. That's not to say that people can't share testimonies and such..but the scripture speak of praying and prophesying. In our fellowship we also share a meal together, so there is definitely time for more unstructured fellowship and conversations.



So, structured fellowship = headcovering. Unstructured fellowship = no headcovering. Got it. And structured fellowship is one in which praying or prophesying may occur. But praying and prophesying does not occur in unstructured fellowship. Ok.

Quote:
You said: "So, if a large block of Believers are not allowed to speak, then we will be potentially missing a lot that the Lord may want to share with us."

Just being sincere, but I don't think this is a good road to go down. We could say, "Well, if we don't allow women to teach and have authority of over men and be elders, then there is potentially a lot that we could be missing out on". But the bible speaks to these issues also. The church needs to be structured the way God has instructed us. Foundations are important.



Fair enough. You already said that sisters are allowed to share testimonies uncovered but they just can't pray or prophesy in a structured meeting. I agree. Let's not go down this road.

Thanks, I truly appreciate that you took the time to explain that to me. I never really understand the rules of engagement sort of speak. And from another post you say you have travelled quite a bit. Do all fellowships that believe in head covering practice pretty much similar to how you described it?

Now, I am just wanting to make sure you know that I am not being contentious. I did ask a few questions for clarity sake and if you think I characterized anything incorrectly then please let me know. Remember, this is foreign to me, so I still may seem to not be clear on it, but I think I've got it.

And you know, it's cool. I don't see this as a problem to gathering around the Lord. You're not uncomfortable with sisters who don't wear one and I'm not uncomfortable when sisters do wear one.

So, it seems funny that we are talking so much about it, doesn't it?

Thanks again, Sean.
Pilgrim

 2012/2/7 20:47Profile





©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy