SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : LORD, BAAL or ELOHIM

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

LORD, BAAL or ELOHIM

ELOHIM - Unger's Bible Dictionary, Page 412, states that the word EL is a Canaanite word meaning "GOD", or "Devil".

The Interprere's Dictionary of the Bible, Volume 1, Page 817, under DEMONOLOGY, says: The word ELOHIM (plural from of EL) means "demons" or "gods". Now tell me, is your heavenly father a god?

UNGER'S BIBLE DICTIONARY page 665, The word Baal simply means Lord

Lord (Hebrew Adon), an early word denoting ownership; hence, absolute control. It is not properly a (righteous) title...master; of kings, as the lords of their subjects. (4.) Lord. Master, (Greek Kurios) Supreme...

(5.) Baal (Master) (As noted above, it means Lord)—applied only to heathen deities (gods), or to man as husband, etc ...

Unger's Bible Dictionary page 412 states that the word El is a Canaanite word meaning God or devil.

The Jews out of a superstitious reverence for the Name of Yahweh, always, in reading, pronounced Adonai where Yahweh is written.

SMITH'S BIBLE DICTIONARY ON PAGES 195-196 STATES:

The substitution of the word Lord is most (sad); for, while it in no way represents the meaning of the Sacred Name, the mind has constantly to guard against a confusion with its lower uses, and, above all, the direct personal hearing of the Name on the revelation of Yahweh...is injuriously out of sight.

Scholars and historians find it quite remarkable that the people of Yahweh ever accepted appellations such as Adonai or Elohim in place of the Name Yahweh.

HARPER'S BIBLE DICTIONARY BY PAUL ACHTEMEIER, page 253 states:

The accomodation of El worship by Yahwism was a remarkable occurrence for Israel was as a rule hostile to the cults of Canaaite gods and goddesses.

To call FATHER YAHWEH by a PAGAN TITLE "ELOHIM or LORD" is MIXING Righteousness and evil the same thing Satan convinced Eve to do some 6000 years ago. Gen.3:5

I am not asking anyone to change their religion or whom they choose to worship. This information is worth studying.

Isaiah 52:6—
Therefore My people will know My Name; Therefore they will know in that day that I am He Who speaks. Behold, it is I!

2012/2/7 13:39

Re: LORD, BAAL or ELOHIM

You have got to be kidding! I think its time to leave this party.

Blaine

2012/2/7 13:43
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Sorry. Jesus is Lord.

Be Blessed!

2012/2/7 13:52Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

I wish not to have commented on this but since someone had opened this topic out of blind zeal, let us begin by saying that ancient languages such as Cannanite, Hebrew, Aramaic, etc are languages of context. It is the context in which the word appears that determines its meaning.

Take for example the Deut 23:17
There shall be no whore <q@deshah> of the daughters <bath> of Israel, <Yisra'el> nor a sodomite <qadesh> of the sons <ben> of Israel. <Yisra'el> {whore: or, sodomitess,sared person or devotee}

But that same word " qadesh" also means "saint", "holy".

This same word "qadesh" in the masc- and "qadeshah" in the femi- are the same root for ruwach qodesh meaning " Holy Spirit"

You can see that without context things can be misunderstood.

So if you wish to change things around I am affraid you will have to change the whole Hebrew bible.

2012/2/7 15:01Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, a little knowlege is a dangerous thing.

2012/2/7 15:28Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Our first revelation of God, our Creator, is in Genesis 1:1:

בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָֽרֶץ (MT, 𝕸)

Here אלהים is Elohiym.

Eloiyim, our first reference to the Creator, is a plural noun. This plurality or use of 'El' in no way suggests diabolic corruption, by is part of the revelation of God as a Trinity.

The Shema tells us that God is ONE, so we may understand God to be a plural unity.

The Shema reads:

Shmai Yisrael Adonai Eloheynu Adonai Echad.

Hear O’ Israel the Lord your God is ONE.

The Hebrew language has two words that can be translated "ONE": echad and yachid. Whereas yachid (yah-keed) refers to the number one (i.e., absolute unity), echad (ek-kawd) refers to a composite unity. An example of this is in the book of Genesis chapter 2, verse 24, where it says that a couple joined together in marriage shall become one flesh. Since the Shema uses the word echad, not yachid, it is reasonable to say that God's essence or nature is that of a composite (plural) unity.

We have the use of El also, fundamental to our understanding of what a house of God is.

And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city [was called] Luz at the first. (Genesis 28:19)

Here Bethel is בית–אל Beyth-El or "House of God".

El is simply a generic term for god or God depending on the context and usage.

2012/2/7 15:54Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re: LORD, BAAL or ELOHIM

Quote: To call FATHER YAHWEH by a PAGAN TITLE "ELOHIM or LORD"

Saw this and thought about Elijah....

What was God's message to Israel through this prophet name...

Elijah = My Lord is God..

What about Elisha

What was God's message to Israel through this prophets name...

Elisha = My Lord is salvation

Me thinks your barking up the wrong tree

2012/2/7 15:55Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

post deleted after repenting.

2012/2/7 17:46Profile

Re:

ELOHIM - Unger's Bible Dictionary, Page 412, states that the word EL is a Canaanite word meaning "GOD", or "Devil".

I have a theory rolling around in my noggin as to this word, but what does the latter part mean, "OHIM"?

2012/2/7 20:58
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

The word ‏אלהים‎ Elohim, God, is the plural form of ‏אל‎ El, or ‏אלה‎ Eloah. Anytime you have a Hebrew word ending in 'im' it denotes a plural word. For example, In the beginning God created the שמים shamayim (heavens) and the earth. Here the 'im' denoted plural (heavens instead of heaven).

2012/2/7 22:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy