SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The trappings of Legalism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
rbanks

Re:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies and a special thanks to the many excellent posts of understanding.

1 Corinthians 4:1-5 (KJV)
1 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.
2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.
4 For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

I also want everyone to know on this thread that the accusations of some do not insult me nor is it my desire to insult back but only to speak the truth in love. I have seen and heard from God(experienced God) and my only desire is to please Him totally. We have a limited number of days on this earth to please God and must not get trapped in on a dead end street. Jesus is coming back for a glorious Church without spot or wrinkle but that we should holy and unblemished before Him in love. I do not want to do anything that is unnecessary(resulting from the flesh) but everything that is of the obedience from the Holy Spirit. The scripture teaches us that we have been called unto freedom but not to use that freedom for an occasion of the flesh but in love to serve one another.

John 5:39-40 (KJV)
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
John 7:16-24 (KJV)
16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.
19 Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me?
20 The people answered and said, Thou hast a devil: who goeth about to kill thee?
21 Jesus answered and said unto them, I have done one work, and ye all marvel.
22 Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers;) and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man.
23 If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?
24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
John 9:28-29 (KJV)
28 Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples.
29 We know that God spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is.

It is amazing to me that these religious people in Jesus day knew God spoke to Moses but they didn’t know the God who spoke to Moses. You see, they said they didn’t know Jesus or where he came from. They didn’t even know- that this Jesus- that they were rejecting was the very one that spoke to Moses.
So isn’t it possible to read the bible and know that it is God’s written Word but not know the God who is the word. Isn’t it also possible to miss the message even though we can quote the scripture? The religious people in Jesus’ day who judged him and wanted to get rid of Him were the very ones who thought they knew the word better than Jesus and judged Him- who is the Word made flesh- standing right before their very eyes. All their studying and doctrines they held to- led them were- to crucify Jesus. You see, they missed out on the life of Jesus, they rejected the life of God standing right there before them- but they were very religious.

All I’m saying is this, I do not want to end up on a dead end street but I want to travel on that super highway of holiness that is filled with the life of God.

Blessings to all!

2012/2/7 9:39Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Edited: Two sentences added at the end.

Not a problem MaryJane.

I have no issue whatsoever with sisters that want to wear head coverings and think that that is what the Scriptures are saying. I don't even have an issue with them thinking that is what the Scriptures teach. I have a real problem with those who think it is a requirement and then prevent others from expressing the Life of God or express by their actions that "uncovered" sisters are less spiritual.

I am talking about love, here. Legalism expresses the opposite.

Hope that clears things up.

Pilgrim

2012/2/7 9:41Profile

Re:

I didn't want to get involved with this thread until I saw our Brother rbanks being 'judged'.

I'll defend my head-covering sisters to the hilt and their freedom to wash feet at Church - but to say that the 'majority' of the Church is in rebellion because they don't cover or wash feet, despite what missionary and other type sacrificial works they do, does bother me.

This is too volitile of a topic. I was even confused by the pdf's that Matthew left for us.

At my age, I wonder how long my hair should be in order to be "pleasing to GOD". It was down to my waist 10 yrs ago - now it's just below my shoulder blades - but how many inches or centimeters long is acceptable? How "long" is "long" enough?

Now, Matthew's article said, in a nutshell and what I gather - that the cloth covering isn't necessary - just the long hair - but women are not to "pray or prophecy" in the congregation ... if I read the man's bottomline properly.
That's now added even the more confusion to how I read 1 Corth 11.

SO Many differing interpretations, leaves a person to go hide in a corner and hopefully with just the WORD open and begging GOD Alone for understanding. And that's what I feel that He's expecting of us all.

A GOOD day in GOD to all.

2012/2/7 10:16
MaryJane

Re:

Pilgrim wrote:I have no issue whatsoever with sisters that want to wear head coverings and think that that is what the Scriptures are saying. I don't even have an issue with them thinking that is what the Scriptures teach. I have a real problem with those who think it is a requirement and then prevent others from expressing the Life of God or express by their actions that "uncovered" sisters are less spiritual.

I am talking about love, here. Legalism expresses the opposite.

Hope that clears things up.

Thank you for so kindly getting back to me. I do understand what you are sharing. I would agree with you that to establish as a requirement that "all" must wear a head covering, or be in rebellion is not demonstrating the love of the LORD. After reading some of the more recent posts today I now know that there are some who clearly feel that I am in rebellion toward GOD and/or my husband because I do not wear a head covering, and it does sadden me a little if I am honest. I have prayed on this matter long and hard and sought out my husbands counsel on the matter as well and at this time do not see this scripture as being a command. I think what makes me feel the most sad is how this kind of topic almost seems to turn into some kind of competition or opportunity to prove "self" right and another believer wrong....(sigh)

God Bless
mary

2012/2/7 10:54Profile

Re:

Quote:
And according to the New Testament, Ephah - no food at our grocery stores is unclean or prohibited.

prove it! back that up with scripture.

Quote:
And if no one worked on Saturdays by religious law - who would take over in the medical fields, policing, etc?

that's your excuse? we go to church on sunday, does that shut down the hospitals?

Quote:
Only GOD ALMIGHTY KNOWS THE HEART of each person that calls upon His Name.

Well what's his name? we don't call him by his name, we call him God! Lucifer is a God! Amun-Ra is a god, Aphrodite is a god, Zeus. Our father in Heaven is not a god. His name is Yahweh (Self Existance) We refuse to call him by his name, we refuse to keep his commandments like he told us to, yet we are very confident that we belong to him? I judge no man; but those who freely teach INIQUITY should beware.

...but the wicked will do wickedly; and none of the wicked will understand --Daniyl 12:10

2012/2/7 11:10

Re:

Peter was shown a vision of a net full of unclean food and The LORD told him to kill and eat.
The verses I gave in an earlier post mentions foods of all sorts as well.

Do you go to "church" on Sunday? I wasn't under the understanding that you did.

What's HIS NAME?

Unless you were raised a Jew, I doubt you have the understanding of His Name.
If you were ultra-Orthodox, you wouldn't even say His Name. You'd say HaShem.
If you were just a regular Jewish person, He'd be Yehovah.
Where you get "Yahweh", can I only imagine.

He is well aware of WHO we are addressing. In Africa His Name is Yesu. He knows who they're addressing - as well as every other tongue on earth.

Rev 19:12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns;
and He had a Name written, that no man knew, but He Himself.

Hope that doesn't throw you when He reveals His [New] Name.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Name may be closer to Elohim, which is plural, as you may know. "In the beginning, Elohim created the heavens and the earth."

He told Moses to tell the people that His Name is "I AM" - as Jesus repeated of Himself.

Were you raised a Jew or are you just a Gentile in the Hebrew Roots Movement or something like that - or just the Sacred Name movement?

What do you think of All of the writings of Paul?

Just so that I can understand where you are coming from - which would help tremendously. Thanks!

2012/2/7 11:46
rbanks

Re:

MaryJane said...

quote-
After reading some of the more recent posts today I now know that there are some who clearly feel that I am in rebellion toward GOD and/or my husband because I do not wear a head covering, and it does sadden me a little if I am honest. I have prayed on this matter long and hard and sought out my husbands counsel on the matter as well and at this time do not see this scripture as being a command.

Sister this is my whole point, you are saddened and can't live up to others doctrinal beliefs. Legalism kills and is a waste of life for the people of God. It has no love for its subject.

I ask you to reread 1 cor 11.2-16 and see that the head covering for the woman is only to honor her husband and if your husband feels that you are honoring Him then you are not trying to please someone else husband or wife but only your own. Be free from the condemnation of others enjoy the life of the in the Holy Spirit

Notice also vs. 16 it says if any man is contentious then we have no such custom. Now if your husband disputes this custom does not want you or feel that you need to do this custom then He is the one that you are honoring.

Blessings to you!

2012/2/7 11:50Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

rbanks said,

Quote:
Sister this is my whole point, you are saddened and can't live up to others doctrinal beliefs. Legalism kills and is a waste of life for the people of God. It has no love for its subject.

Great example brother. I think that you hit the nail on the head as an example of true legalism.

Basically it is trying to live to please man's interpretation of doctrinal beliefs, not out of an yearning to be obedient and pleasing to the Lord. We are to be obedient to the Lord's calling to us. If we do things to please man, we are in sin.

2012/2/7 12:09Profile

Re:

Re: washing clean feet -

Quote:
Before anyone would criticize its observance by others I would suggest you do it - literally and see what it does to your spirit.

Love for God is the first and great commandment. How is this commandment operative in your life?

Sandra, are you questioning people's love for GOD by whether they wash clean feet at Church?
At 16, my first job [which I mentioned is my burden] was in a hospital as a Nurse's Aide. I was especially burdened for those with Alzheimer. My first experience shortly after getting that job was to come in one morning and find a man with dried feces in his ears, hair, under his fingernails, everywhere that he could reach because he stuck his hand in the back of his diaper.
That type 'washing' is par for any CNA and if that work isn't done because of the love of GOD and his creation/humans, than they shouldn't be in that profession at all.
I gave full body baths to all ages at that age and until I was disabled at 49 y.o. [10 yrs ago], otherwise I'd still be at it.
Clean feet is a piece of cake, Sister. No greater love goes into that than what some others are doing for Christ in Africa, Haiti and similar third-world nations, where hygiene is very sorely lacking and demon possession is rampant. Washing clean feet in a civilized Church does not prove anything more of the love of GOD than these examples.
I love you, Sister Sandra.

2012/2/7 12:22

Re:

J.I.G -- the Apostle Kepha's vision had nothing to do with the physical eating of unclean foods at all. The unclean creatures in Kepha's (Peter’s) vision symbolized the Gentiles

---"Where you get "Yahweh"--, can I only imagine." I'm glad you asked.

The deception we live in today is deep, The Savior warned that the world would follow deception. The word El, plural Elohim is found under demonology.

Quote:
YHWH. The personal name of the God of Israel is written in the Hebrew Bible with the four consonants yhwh and is referred to as the "Tetragrammaton". At least until the destructions of the First Temple in 586 b.c.e., this name was regularly pronounced with its proper vowels, as is clear from the *Lachish Letters, written shortly before that date. But at least by the third century b.c.e., the pronunciation of the name yhwh was avoided, and Adonai, "the Lord", was substituted for it, as evidenced by the use of the Greek word Kyrios, "Lord", for yhwh in the Septuagint, the translation of the Hebrew Scriptures that was begun by Greek-speaking Jews in that century. Where the combined form *Adonai yhwh occurs in the Bible, this was read as *Adonai *Elohim, "Lord God". In the early Middle Ages, when the consonantal text of the Bible was supplied with vowels points to faciliate its correct traditional reading, the vowel points for 'Adonai with one variation - a sheva with the first yod of YHWH instead of the hataf-patah under the aleph of 'Adonai7 were used for YHWH, thus producing the form Yehowah. When Christian scholars of Europe first began to study Hebrew, they did not understand what this really meant, and they introduced the hybrid name "Jehovah". In order to avoid pronouncing even the sacred name *Adonai for YHWH, the custom was later introduced of saying simply in Hebrew ha-Shem (or Aramaic Shemc, "the Name") even in such an expression as "Blessed be he that cometh in the name of YHWH" (Ps. 118:26).

Here is a thread i posted not too long ago
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42905&forum=36

FYI, I don't belong to any movement or group, there is only two groups of people in the world, Believers & Non Believers.

2012/2/7 12:51

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy