SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Finding God in Your Circumstances by Robert Wurtz II

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Finding God in Your Circumstances by Robert Wurtz II

Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.” So we may boldly say: The LORD is my helper; I will not fear what man can do unto me. (Hebrews 13:5, 6)

It is unfortunate that in modern English we have moved away from the use of thee (second person singular accusative) and settled for the more generic you (second person singular or plural). By taking this route we lose the ability to point the finger at an individual. Modern translations read, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Here you is translated from σε ('se' second accu. sing.) and loses the personal sense of thee. Why does it matter? Some might say I'm splitting hairs here. Not so. Sometimes generalities just won't do. We need God to point His finger at us.

A Personal Address

There are seasons of our lives when what we really need to know is that God is there. When we are going through desperate times, and it seems that we have all but reached the end of our rope what makes the difference is to have an affirmation that God is with me; not just with the masses, but me personally. Even the most subtle gesture from God can reaffirm to our hearts that He cares about us.

When God Breaks the Silence

Many years ago I dreamed a dream of a very famous non- Pentecostal/Charismatic preacher I will leave unnamed. God had brought this dear man before me to show me he was going through a terrible trial. Strangely, it had been many years since I followed his ministry and he was a million miles from my mind until that night. At the risk of being misunderstood or even labeled a flake, I wrote a letter to this man telling him about the dream. I felt the Lord directing me to encourage him and his dear family with the words that God knew where he was and what he was going through. He and his immediate family had kept it a secret. Apparently, he kept on smiling and preaching (as so many pastors and preachers do) as if there was no issue. After all, this was the old-school way. Never let the people see you suffering. But God saw it and God cares.

Some time later I received a letter back from him explaining in general terms that it was true; he and his family were in a deep trial. He read the letter to his family and one of the family members wept. They received it as encouragement from the Lord. You see, God really cares about us. And when we are going through the valley he will often break the silence and in some way bring an encouragement.

God Bless You Both, Always

There was a time in my life about 10 years ago that I was going through a deep valley spiritually. I had come to think, though I never said it, that God had forsaken me. I began to wonder if God had had enough of all of my antics and just put me on the shelf someplace. I continued to teach and minister, but God seemed very distant, as if I was walking alone. Now, I realize that this is all subjective experience and I'm not trying to create doctrine here. I am simply relaying the facts as they took place.

One day I decided I would go eat lunch at the Ryan's Buffet about 4 miles from my work. It's as if the whole way there I was saying within myself, "Where are you God?" The bad thing is that I seemed to answer my own question with an aching, "I guess you have forsaken me." I knew Hebrews 13:5, 6, but that was all academic at this point.

I walked in and sat down at a small table facing a row of booths where people were eating. I was close enough to hear them. This was a bit odd because I almost never go to eat alone. I don't like eating alone. But here I was. I noticed that two of the men were ministers of some kind as they were talking about the ministry. About half way through the meal I saw a strange sight. A man stood up and turned to the booth behind him, pulled out his wallet, took out an offering and handed it to them! Wow, I thought. That was pretty wild. I was encouraged thinking that God wanted me to see this take place. It was little, but it was something.

A week or so later my brother Tim and I headed back to Ryans again. I had relayed to him this whole story on the way. When we came through the door a strange thing happened. A worker met us at the register and took us back and seated us. This had never happened before in all my times going there. Staggeringly, of the hundred or so tables in that large facility, she seated us in the exact booth where those ministers received that offering. At this point I am beside myself. The probability of this happening is very remote. But we got our food and ate talking more about God and His providence. I am feeling greatly encouraged at this point. What happened next sealed it for me.

As we were about to leave I looked down at the receipt on the table that the waitress had left for us. She had signed it simply, "God Bless you both, always!" Tim did not see it at first so I subtly pointed down at it. Look at this! It may seem silly to some and maybe there are a thousand mathematicians and skeptics ready to line up and tell me this was all a coincidence. But a man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument. I learned a lesson that day about the sovereignty of God. Our steps are truly ordered of the Lord. He knows where we are and if (and that 'if' is totally up to Him) He wants to He can reveal Himself. He will do it in a personalized way. He will point the finger.

How About You?

What are you going through? Are you walking a valley wondering if you are walking it alone? The Lord loves you and He knows where you are. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.”

2012/2/4 14:57Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Finding God in Your Circumstances by Robert Wurtz II

Quote:
Some time later I received a letter back from him explaining in general terms that it was true; he and his family were in a deep trial. He read the letter to his family and one of the family members wept. They received it as encouragement from the Lord. You see, God really cares about us. And when we are going through the valley he will often break the silence and in some way bring an encouragement.

Amen. when we run out of our own energy, skills, plans and strivings. The Lord will bring His mercy and grace to us to see if we will acknowledge our way was not best and choose His way. He is always encouraging those who put their trust in Him even if He does seem like a million miles away.

Great article dear brother.

2012/2/4 15:28Profile

Re:

That reminds me of a story which I have shared many times, it is a true story. This man goes into the supermarket to buy his wife a flower, just a single flower. He does it every week. This day as he was walking out, the Spirit whispers to him, " give the flower to that woman." Now the man struggled in his thoughts and resisted the voice. Surely she would think I was trying to pick her up, or at the least think I was a weirdo, yet the small still voice continues, give the woman the flower. So, the man takes a deep breath and approaches the woman and says " I know you are going to find this strange, but the Lord wanted me to give you this flower." The woman looked at him in amazement and tears began to well up in her eyes, big tear drops began to roll down her face. As she took the flower she explained that her husband used to buy her a flower every week. Her husband had died several months before. Just this morning she had cried out to God that she felt forgotton, even by God. Can you imagine what this did for the man who gave the flower and the woman who received it? Such a small thing, but so profound.........bro Frank

2012/2/4 16:05
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re: Finding God in Your Circumstances by Robert Wurtz II

Robert said, "What are you going through? Are you walking a valley wondering if you are walking it alone? The Lord loves you and He knows where you are. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.”

This is a very heartwarming word, Robert (thanks for posting it, Greg)... and in my case, timely as well.

I noticed in the passage you quoted that the writer of Hebrews starts out in the plural:

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have..."

And then brings it right into the singular:

For He Himself has said, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.” So we may boldly say: The LORD is my helper; I will not fear what man can do unto me" (Hebrews 13:5, 6).

I don't know why it is that we need this kind of personal reminder so often. It seems the human heart is so easily hardened-- mine is.

But God must have a very high objective in mind, something very important to him--and to us-- in seeming to be so far away at times.

It's learning that little word, "trust."

Allan

2012/2/4 21:38Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy