SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Essentials of Mortification: Resting and Conquering

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Essentials of Mortification: Resting and Conquering

Have you ever wondered how God’s method of overcoming sin works within the believer? The battle that rages within and without the child of God is a purely spiritual one; one that is replete with angelic fighting and invisible weaponry. If our eyes could be opened to see even a moment’s glimpse of this warfare, we would be speechless. Our inner men are in the midst of this battle, and our minds are often the canopy under which the fiercest fighting is conducted. As with earthly battles, there are moments of calm reprieves interspersed with vicious attacks. The battles are daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and are but the components of an entire war which is fought over the span of the believer’s lifetime.

God’s Word teaches us that Satan’s host has already been defeated in the boundless realm of eternity. The war was fought and won when Christ was slain on Calvary before the foundation of the world. What you and I are experiencing now is the time-bound manifestation of this war, with Satan’s efforts to derail individual soldiers. The enemy knows that if he can hinder a soldier’s advancements unto perfection by keeping the conscience defiled, the propagation and proliferation of the gospel will be stymied. With no consistent victory over sin on the personal level, and no measure of conquest over fleshly temptation, the soldier is unable to transmit the life of Christ through his ministry unto others. If a Christian cannot overcome evil in his own walk, he surely cannot teach others to overcome with any measure of authority in theirs.

We read in scripture that God enables us to overcome by strengthening our inner men with might by the Holy Spirit (Eph. 3:16). This happens when the indwelling Spirit of God fortifies our own spirits with the life of Christ. The power of the Spirit is grace – the grace to overcome the temptations of the flesh, the devil, and the lure of the world’s wicked system. Only the believer who makes it his daily aim to abide in Christ is given this divine power. By putting on the Lord Jesus Christ daily by faith, and making no provision to fulfill the lusts of his flesh, the child of God enters into a walk that safeguards his soul from the wiles of the enemy. This spiritual wrestling against the giants of the land is wrought through the strength of God, through His weapons and armor, and it is by His strength that the soldier is rendered instantly victorious.

In the same way the Lord Jesus slept in the boat during the storm, so the child of God may rest in the heat of the battle when he has the mind of Christ. This, then, is a concept the world cannot grasp: conquering by resting. When our inner men are strengthened by God we can rest during the fiercest of warfare and effortlessly overcome. The reason many of us are defeated by the enemy is because we have not learned to rest in the might of the Spirit. We try too hard to fight; we grit our teeth and attempt all sorts of methods in mortification that are independent of the all-conquering power of spiritual repose, and as a result we become defeated legalists.

The great victors of the Christian battle are those who have understood the secret of rest. They have identified that the “greater is He in that is in you” is God Himself abiding within them, breathing might into the inner man so that they can partake of His divine nature, having escaped the corruption which is in the world through lust (II Peter 1:4). When God gives the believer revelation of these truths, he instantly ceases from striving, and like Jonah, voluntarily sinks into the depths. As soon as Jonah's head went beneath the surface of the water, he could no longer hear the boisterous wind and crashing waves. Going beneath the water meant death, but with that death came great peace and rest.

Hear me now, dear believer in Christ. Would you have peace from all the storms in your life? Are you tired of failure upon failure, of defeat and depression, of confusion and empty religious effort? Do you wonder how Jesus Christ could sleep peacefully in the hull of a storm-tossed boat, amidst the howling wind and furious waves? He calls you and I to do the same in the midst of our own storms of flesh and temptation. It is the concept of resting and conquering.

Observe how a falcon soars high above a valley. He gained that altitude by beating his wings and overcoming gravity, climbing higher and higher until he reached a thermal and another law took over: the law of aerodynamics. Now he just soars effortlessly; he transcends gravity - the pull of the earth no longer has dominion over him. Beloved, this is a picture of the grace of God cancelling out the dominion of sin's law. God's will is that we soar effortlessly over an already-won battle, having taken on the divine nature of victory. There is great rest in the thermal. The thermal is a picture of the Holy Spirit breathing power into our inner man.

Let us therefore beat our wings in defiance to the law of gravity, and allow God's Spirit to lift us higher and higher. See every wing flap as a mortifying blow to the flesh. Hide the Word of Christ deeply in your heart. Call on Him as you gain altitude, lest you soon become discouraged and plateau. Wait on the thermal; endure suffering, buffet your body into submission, take all thoughts captive to Christ's obedience. May this be our daily experience: resting and conquering.

May we all enter into this liberating truth.

- Brother Paul

http://understandingmortification.wordpress.com/

2012/2/2 23:34Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Essentials of Mortification: Resting and Conquering

Quote:
In the same way the Lord Jesus slept in the boat during the storm, so the child of God may rest in the heat of the battle when he has the mind of Christ. This, then, is a concept the world cannot grasp: conquering by resting. When our inner men are strengthened by God we can rest during the fiercest of warfare and effortlessly overcome. The reason many of us are defeated by the enemy is because we have not learned to rest in the might of the Spirit. We try too hard to fight; we grit our teeth and attempt all sorts of methods in mortification that are independent of the all-conquering power of spiritual repose, and as a result we become defeated legalists.

Thank you dear brother for the Spirit led words!

2012/2/3 0:28Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Thank you dear brother for the Spirit led words!

Dear brother, I could sense the presence of God as I wrote this article. I wept as I finished the last line. I really believe this teaching is from the very heart of our Father and it is able to change your life. Let us go on unto perfection!

2012/2/3 0:35Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: May this be our daily experience: resting and conquering.

May we all enter into this liberating truth.

-----

Amen

2012/2/3 4:12Profile
mama27

Re:

I read your thoughtful words this morning with a longing that they would move from my head into my heart and experience. They seem to be a bit outside my grasp. But then the Christian life is a continual drawing upward. "Rest" is certainly not my nature, and no doubt this experience with my prodigals is as much for me as it is for them (in terms of God's economy). I have tasted what you write about so very seldom, but I HAVE tasted it. The Lord has given me a long time ago Psalms 46:10 - "Be still (cease striving) and know that I am God"....Thank you so much for being used of the Lord to challenge us in this area. This is true meat....

2012/2/3 7:36Profile

Re:

Excellent brother!

As I read your last paragraph, I thought of Isa 40. To wait upon the Lord, to rise up with wings as eagles is to not even flap, it is to be caught up in the updrafts of his presence. Its such a majestic sight to see an eagle soar higher and higher with zero effort, just outstreatched wings letting the warm thermal updrafts lift him.

Then I thought of Galatians where Paul , almost depairingly asks them is it possible to finish in the flesh that what was begun in the Spirit. Lastly I thought about the Scripture of entering into His rest and ceasing from our works. So mysterious to so many Christians, the grasping of this, the living this out. I have tasted this brother, like mama27 said, and probably just as seldom.

After a particular trial about ten years ago, where I won some battles with anxiouness and then lost the war, afterwards the Lord asked me to look back on that situation and imgaine what it could have been like if I had maintained my trust and peace all the way to the end. Suddenly I realized that it was possible. After-all, the Lord had never left me nor forsaken me. I did come through the trial, and it resolved by Him.

So, I graded myself based on my trust versus my lack of trust in that situation. I gave myself a four out of ten. Then I felt the Spirit say to me that there would be plenty more situations in which to move towards trusting Him completly(and of course He was right:) In each situation since then, I have determined, by a concious act of the will that I would trust Him. It has transformed my walk with Him. I am so glad that Paul said that "he had learned to be content." No magic wand, but a slow (very slow) realisation that it is His faithfulness that my trust is in and that He has never let me down. When one begins to reckon that, then I believe that one truly enters a place of rest and a place where we watch God do the work. In this place it is all Him and He gets all the glory.......brother Frank

2012/2/3 11:28
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: So mysterious to so many Christians, the grasping of this, the living this out. I have tasted this brother, like mama27 said, and probably just as seldom.

After watching a sermon by Derek Prince, I lay on my bed and was meditating on what was said. Two scriptures stood out they described two types of people that are alive in the last days...

Lovers of Self 2 Tim 1-2 and them that loved not there lives unto death Rev 12:11...

As I focused my thoughts onto “them that loved not there lives unto death” I remembered the scriptures Luke 9:23-24

If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

I found myself at the cross and became of aware that God wants me to surrender and take up “the calling of God on my life” but he also requires of me to deny myself to lose my life for his sake…

This is the key I believe to “entering into his rest” Heb 4:1 it’s Jesus Christ, and him crucified, us hearing his voice and taking up our cross denying ourselves by faith…

I believe this is where God’s leading me to. A point where I cross over into Jordan and for this to happens “I take up of my cross” and decide to follow Christ with all my heart, with all of who I am and all that I have. I mean by that it’s not a one of time of doing his will, I believe it’s deeper than that. I believe the work done in that moment of surrender will be so deep that it’s a no longer my life but Christ’s life in me…

Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts surrender and take up your cross………

Blessings

Colin

Edited for spelling

2012/2/3 18:25Profile

Re:

HI brother Murrcolr,

The only thing that I believe is a one time thing is salvation itself, meaning one is either saved or they are not. In everything else one must beware when one stands lest they fall. I do agree with the conditions that it takes to enter into His rest. And I believe that you are right, one of the main conditions is to " love not their lives unto death." This is huge. It was because they were scared for their lives that the children of Israel wandered in the desert, they feared the giants. The next generation were led across the Jordan and into the promised land by one who was not afraid for his life or afraid of the giants. Yet to enter the promised land is to truly enter the battle, starting with Jericho and beyond. The battle is the Lords now. The flesh will be with us intil we are raised in incorruption, this means that we will always be completely dependent upon the Lord and this I believe is by design. This way He gets all the glory, all the time..........brother Frank

2012/2/3 19:17
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Colin and Frank, very good dialogue my brothers. I've been edified reading your posts. Thank you.

Paul

2012/2/4 19:21Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy