SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : The key to personal revival....

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The key to personal revival....

.....repentance. Not just saying we are sorry, but a change of heart to put to death all desires of the flesh and turn to God for all things.

2005/1/22 19:42
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: The key to personal revival....

Hi Lahry,

Quote:
repentance. Not just saying we are sorry, but a change of heart to put to death all desires of the flesh and turn to God for all things.

This is true. Charles Finney has a very searching teaching on this topic that is truly life changing. It is found in audio here [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=226]LECTURE III (How To Promote a Revival)[/url] and in text: [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=3722]LECTURE III.[/url]

Richard Owens Roberts (not to be confused with Richard Roberts of Tulsa OK) has a really good book called Repentance.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/1/22 23:25Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: repentance

Yesterday I read one stunning story in the bible about repentance which is great example for us, we have a lot to learn from there. It's about repentance in practise, sorrow deep in your heart, causing to change your ways and doings on practise.
Ezra - chapters 9 and 10. I encourage you to read this scriptures, it cause me to think more about what true repentance is. I will post just a portions:

Chapter 9
1 When these things were done, the leaders came to me, saying, "The people of Israel and the priests and the Levites have not separated themselves from the peoples of the lands, with respect to the abominations of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Jebusites, the Ammonites, the Moabites, the Egyptians, and the Amorites. [b]2For they have taken some of their daughters as wives for themselves and their sons, so that the holy seed is mixed with the peoples of those lands. Indeed, the hand of the leaders and rulers has been foremost in this trespass." [/b] 3So when I heard this thing, I tore my garment and my robe, and plucked out some of the hair of my head and beard, and sat down astonished. 4Then everyone who trembled at the words of the God of Israel assembled to me, because of the transgression of those who had been carried away captive, and I sat astonished until the evening sacrifice.
5At the evening sacrifice I arose from my fasting; and having torn my garment and my robe, I fell on my knees and spread out my hands to the LORD my God. 6And I said: "O my God, I am too ashamed and humiliated to lift up my face to You, my God; for our iniquities have risen higher than our heads, and our guilt has grown up to the heavens...
Chapter 10
1 Now while Ezra was praying, and while he was confessing, weeping, and bowing down before the house of God, a very large assembly of men, women, and children gathered to him from Israel; for the people wept very bitterly. 2And Shechaniah the son of Jehiel, one of the sons of Elam, spoke up and said to Ezra, [b]"We have trespassed against our God, and have taken pagan wives from the peoples of the land; yet now there is hope in Israel in spite of this. 3Now therefore, let us make a covenant with our God to put away all these wives and those who have been born to them, according to the advice of my master and of those who tremble at the commandment of our God;[/b] and let it be done according to the law. 4Arise, for this matter is your responsibility. We also are with you. Be of good courage, and do it." ...9So all the men of Judah and Benjamin gathered at Jerusalem within three days..."You have transgressed and have taken pagan wives, adding to the guilt of Israel. 11Now therefore, make confession to the LORD God of your fathers, and do His will; [b]separate yourselves from the peoples of the land, and from the pagan wives."[/b] ...12Then all the assembly answered and said with a loud voice, [b]"Yes! As you have said, so we must do.[/b]
18And among the sons of the priests who had taken pagan wives the following were found of the sons of Jeshua the son of Jozadak,[a] and his brothers: Maaseiah, Eliezer, Jarib, and Gedaliah. [b]19And they gave their promise that they would put away their wives; and being guilty,[/b] they presented a ram of the flock as their trespass offering...

2005/1/23 10:55Profile

Re: Oh Tears, please pray for me.....

First of all, thank you for posting this heart wrenching passage. Either we are seperated from the world, or we are not. If we are not, according to James we are enemies of God. James 4.

Now this passage has raised another issue. I've been married 23 years. My wife and I have 5 children. We have not gotten along well the entirety of our marriage. We have seldom been in aggreement in our values and our children have paid the price.

This lady is not my first wife. I've long wondered if reason we have had so much difficulty is because my wife is not God's choice. It was totally a work of the flesh. Furthermore, I wrestle with "should I stay with her or leave".

I know this much, and have witness in my soul, God takes this much more seriously than most in church today. The breaking of what God has joined together is a horrendous act in God's eyes. What say ye, beloved?

2005/1/31 16:11
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Brother Lahry,

As to your first post, repentance plus submission. If repentance means turning away from sin and this world what are we turning toward? That's where submission comes in.

Ed

2005/2/2 13:42Profile

Re:

As to your first post, repentance plus submission. If repentance means turning away from sin and this world what are we turning toward? .

We should walk after the Spirit, in obedience to His leading. Paul told the saints to walk after the Spirit and we would not fulfill the desires of the flesh.

Anything that man has to do with is likely tainted by flesh in some form or another. We cannot overcome the carnal nature except by the power of God. 1 Cor. 1:18. The power of God is for the children of God who repented and put their eternal hope entirely in the finished work of Jesus Christ.

2005/2/2 13:54
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
As to your first post, repentance plus submission. If repentance means turning away from sin and this world what are we turning toward? That's where submission comes in.

Bro Ed is quite right here. We are turning to God. I like what Bro. Richard Owens Roberts talks about in his theme "perpetual repentance." What is that? In my estimation, it is to keep on dealing with what the Holy Ghost puts His 'finger on.' What does that mean? It means when God says get rid of it- we get rid of it. That is submission. Only the Holy Ghost can do this work. Only the Holy Ghost knows the heart. I am working on a message titled "Impersonating the Holy Ghost." It will be about as popular as all the other repentance sermons. And that, when men repent for trying to be God. Who knows if I'll ever get to preach it. Yet, we need to be warned about touching the ARK of God. We need to be careful in how we impose into that domain that is exclusively God's. It's not my job to clean men up it's the Holy Ghost's.

There are times when repentance can only go so far. The man in Matthew 18 owed 10,000 talents. You can preach repentance and restitution to that man until you are blue in the face and there is no way for him to fully repent of that debt. I have read where that would equate to 150,000 years wages. So what if he gets 2 jobs? Or works 24 hours a day? That would cut it down to just 50,000 years. Does he owe the debt? should he try to repay it? Should he try to correct his wrong? It does not take long to see it will be impossible. there is simply no way to fix the mess he is in and yet fulfill other obligations. As I have said it before, for this man- it will be hell if he does and hell if he does not. There is nothing he can do to make amends for his sin. I have been there and I live there. Repenting as far as I can and yet casting myself on the mercy of God.

When I was a new Christian I looked at the teachings of Jesus when he talked about saying "thou fool" and "Reca" and being angry without cause. I knew that I had sinned after having a knowledge of the truth. I believed I had defiled the Temple. I could go on. Yet, I reached a point when I just fell on the Rock Christ Jesus and broke with all my helplessness. it seemed to me I could not be forgiven. there was not hope. I'm in danger of the counsel, the judgment and hell fire! I have trod under foot the blood with my sin. I have done despite unto the Spirit of grace. I cannot undo those and many other sins.

And beloved this is the essence of personal revival. When you get to the place when you know that you are destined for hell apart from God's intervention. when you know you deserve hell! Not just because you told a little white lie- but because you sinned so greatly against a Holy God. You know the word- you know the sentence! You can't fix the mess you in. And when you get to that place you will realize that there is no hope apart from Christ. Even if I do go to hell at the end of the road I will serve my God and King. I will at least enjoy His fellowship to my last breath. And if you get to heaven and I'm not there - tell the Lord I really loved Him...

Yet I know the God of grace. I know the God that has let my iniquities DROP. He has passed over them. And just as He told Moses in Exodus... His presence will be the evidence of His grace. i have his presence-- and I have His grace.

Do what the Holy Ghost tells you and not what men say. Take this saying to your heart and walk with God. he knew who you were when He called you.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/2/2 14:05Profile

Re: Wow Robert.....

I'm so blessed. Thank you. Amen and amen. I got tears in my eyes. God bless you.

2005/2/2 15:42

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy