SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : 10 Reasons to read Christian History:

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: 7/10 Reasons to read Christian History

Quote:
That's a good thing, because the church today is a body with a wide (and sometimes wild!) variety of members. Knowing more about the past, we gain insight into the practices and problems of other Christians in the present. We may become less critical of others—and even more aware of our own shortcomings and limited perspectives.

One of the great concerns of mine of late has been how quick Christians can be to discount one anothers expression of faith-even try to delegitimize it as though the one was preferred by God to the other. Our preferences have little to do with what God is willing to accept as true expression of faith. This is true in music, in our worship services, and even our standards of so-called 'holiness.' That is one of the things I realized being around the Messianics; everyone thinks they have the market cornered on expression. We do have much to learn from history. Indeed!

2005/2/21 13:33Profile
madmatg

asia

Re: 7/10 Reasons to read Christian History

thanks for this, I've never really looked at the history of the church in depth. I'll have to start down the road. Thanks again

2005/2/21 14:32Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

8/10 Reasons to read Christian History

Reason #8

Because reading Christian history shows us how we got where we are today. Where did all those denominations come from? How did the distinctive beliefs and practices of my own church develop? What's the big deal over Calvinism and Arminianism?

2005/3/4 6:08Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: 8/10 Reasons to read Christian History

Ron,

Is there a 9 & 10? :-)

2005/3/30 6:02Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: 8/10 Reasons to read Christian History

BUMP!!!

(should this perhaps have a title change) :-P

2006/4/12 10:25Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
One of the great concerns of mine of late has been how quick Christians can be to discount one anothers expression of faith-even try to delegitimize it as though the one was preferred by God to the other. Our preferences have little to do with what God is willing to accept as true expression of faith.

This is certainly my experience and admitted blind spot. Yet a little history helps us to to see how the contour of our Christian expression is often under influence in good and bad ways from our cultural and even personal context.

As such practicing forebearance and even trust in one anothers walks with God is one of the hallmarks of true Evangelicalism, which only began effectively once it was outdoors away from the governing pulpits of the Church of England. Over 200 years ago the Anglican church leaders in Boston took George Whitefield aside and accused him of serious error for recieving communion from a Baptist and for daring to call a Presbyterian minister a "faithful servant of Jesus Christ."

Yet George Whitfield was already ahead of the curve and though he failed to convince the Anglican leadership, he succeeded in defining a new premise of evangelical and revivalist preaching. He said to them: "It was best to preach the new birth, and the power of godliness, and not to insist so much on form; for people can never be brought to one mind as that; nor did Jesus Christ ever intend it."

I mention this only to affirm that reading church history is one way to keep from being too sure of our our contemporary experiences and from discounting other Christians, both east and west, past and present, too hastily.

BTW, the above Whitefield episode is from an excellent 4 volume series on the history of Evangelicism by Mark Noll published by IVP.

Blessings,

MC

2006/4/12 12:41Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Ron,

Is there a 9 & 10?

Would love to hear about anything from Ron these days. :-)

2006/4/12 13:21Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
10 Reasons to read Christian History:

Leonard Ravenhill said: "One thing thing we learn from history, is that we don't learn from history."

I think this is a great thread and really I am firmly convinced in my own heart that one of the vital needs for the body of Christ is to hear more of church history and how God was active and using men for His glory and to build His kingdom. May God shake us out of our apathy in this generation and allow us to seek first His kingdom as so many saints did who went on before us.

2006/4/12 16:05Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

10 Reasons to read Christian History

Quote:
BUMP!!!

2006/4/12 22:00Profile

Re:

Quote:

RobertW wrote:
Quote:
Ron,

Is there a 9 & 10?

Would love to hear about anything from Ron these days. :-)

Not a bad idea Robert ... but in the mean time ... you've done well.

Just some reading of our History in the mean time.

Irenaeus who sat under Polycarp who sat under John and left us his treatise [url=http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/ANF-01/anf01-56.htm]"Against Heresies".[/url]

When you click on "page" ... it appears page 2 is blank, but the Treatise begins on page 3.

Health and Peace too, to you both.

Maranatha.

2006/4/13 5:33

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy