Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Revival in Lewis

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
todd

California

Revival in Lewis

I was so encouraged from hearing about the revival in Lewis. I am wondering what the spiritual atmoshpere is like over there now. Any one have any information?

2003/5/14 18:42Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Revival in Lewis

I know the effect of the revival was quite lasting, I wonder if its still in effect somewhat today.. that would be encouraging.. hmm sounds like a good vacation trip idea :-D

2003/5/14 20:55Profile
todd

California

Re:

Yeah, seriously, that's what I was thinking! Like Ravenhill said, you don't have to advertise a fire. But when it's not advertised it may be hard for those who are far off but hungry to be aware of it. It sounds so glorious. But even a place that has experienced such a revival and is still living it would be an environment I want to be in. Truly experiencing God in a godly community. Sounds like heaven almost.
What do you think about this idea I have had for awhile now? Here goes. What if this idea caught on?
The Christians that are unsure of their specific calling in life should find their way to some revival fire that is currently burning in the world, catch it, then go from there. Either bring the fire back home, be sent elsewhere by God, or stay in the fire. But the idea is catching the fire at any cost, and if it is brought back to AMerica...
What do you think? Honestly, why do we stay put? I can understand if God is calling you to be where you are for some reason and that is very possible, but from talking to people on a deeper level, it seems like this is just a weak excuse not to leave, to stay where they are comfortable. THis greives me so much. So few seem truly hungry.

2003/5/14 22:03Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I believe that we should not seek after signs and wonders in diverse places. God can touch you where you are, and its not the manifestations that are the sign of revival its the conversions, God counciousness and conviction that are the tell-tale signs!

Seek after Christ not in other men but in yourself.

"My desire is simply that these things
which are made available may be
sign-posts pointing the way.
Hopefully there will be hearts quickened by the call of the
sign-post who will follow the road to its destination." - Leonard Ravenhill

2003/5/14 22:23Profile
todd

California

Re:

I agree with everything you said. I am not talking about seeking the signs and wonders but seeking God with hungry people, that's more the idea. Like you said, where true revival is happening people are being converted and have God-consciousness and conviction. That's where I want to be, in such an environment.
Yes, God can touch you where you are, but is He? If not, why stay unless He is telling you to? Why not go somewhere, since today it is so easy with cars and planes, that is ablaze with the fire of God?
I agree that we should not seek Christ in other men but ourselves. but can't it only be a good thing to surround yourself with people of a like mind and spiritual appetite?

2003/5/15 17:01Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Why didnt all the apostles stay in the upper room? and have meeting there all the time and let the people come to them? no, they took the fire with them whereever they went. Dont seek after a power that makes you more spiritual then everyone else, seek God on your knees and throught the word diligently then he will revive and set your heart on fire. and then you can be an influnce in your surroundings and area.

I am sure that God would much rather you wake up at 6am each morning for two weeks to seek him with all your heart, then go on a plane for a weekend to brownsville or toronto airport. God is looking for diligent and trustworthy people that are seeking him everyday. I need Gods keeping power more and more everyday to help me set my mind on heavenly things rather than earthly things.

sorry to go on like this, I just feel God could bless you tremoudsly even while reading my post :-D open your heart to HIM.

2003/5/16 0:37Profile
todd

California

Re:

They didn't stay because they had already received the power. i am talking about people that haven't received the power from on high but are longing for it. i am not talking about seeking the power SO THAT some can be more spiritual than others, why do you think that is what i mean? i am talking about doing what it takes to receive the power so that it can be used for the kingdom. but that is just one benefit i see with going to the fires, there are many others.
look, when i think about people that have moved with God in mighty ways, how many of them started off on their own? Maybe Finney and Tozer but I am talking about living people.
i believe that God CAN do just as much with me and give me just as much of Him and all that with me staying put right here. But what if He isn't, and the spiritual environment is so lukewarm here, why should i stay? i have no ties here but some friends.
Let's say we are in New Testament times and living a way off from Rome when Paul is there. Perhaps a few days journey. would it not have been well worth it to go to Rome? would you have honestly stayed in your town if you could easily get away without causing any problems? I almost positive I would have left me home behind if i could, if no responsabilities hindered me.
and i don't think i would go to brownsville or toronto. probably south america or mozambique or somewhere hopefully not so americanized. and i am not talking about a weekend. i am talking about staying as long as it takes. going from there. then at least you can have a reference point, discern the movements of God for yourself, and see what's going on. Again, it's not that God can't do something, that is a rediculous idea. That argument seems to me like saying, "listen, GOd can work in/with you just as much through your one page of the Bible as the whole thing (talking to the guy in SIberia) so don't worry about buying a whole one even if you can." NOw i agree it's not a perfect example but you can follow my train of thought i hope.
What if a revival fire was burning within a few hours drive of where you live? would you not go? Today, with modern technology, it is basically the same idea with the entire world. I can go anywhere for cheap and in a very short time. ANd it just seems worth it. I know God COULD do anything, but why would i wait around. Yes, i should already be seeking HIm with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. That's a given.
For me it comes down to this simple question that maybe you can ask yourself instead of thinking about a grand theory for everyone that it might apply to.
Why stay where you are?

2003/5/16 12:34Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

You are right brother, why stay where I am! But Gods purposes are not for everyone to go abroad. I feel I am living in a lukewarm church in canada with lukwarm christians, and I am just staying afloat. but I kinda feel that I can make a difference with the fire that is in me to kindle other Christians that are cold and lukewarm.

You are right, I would probably go and see Paul forsure, but the question to ask is: is a Steve Hill or John Arnott people that I would go to?
Paul Ravenhill left america and I dont think he wants to come back because of the spiritual condition of the nation!

But you might say he look there are revival fires all across america in cities like brownsville, but then I have to ask again is it a strange fire or real revival fire? Revival changes the moral climate of the city, it doesnt just attract Christians it attacts lost people mostly with conviction! Leonard Ravenhill as far as I know didnt agree much with alot of the revival movements in the last 20 years in america, he saw through them and still was calling the church to repentance till he died in 1994!

listen to this audio by him its real short:
[url=http://www.therevivalweneed.com/xoops/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=1200]Selah - Ravenhill Compliation[/url]

thanks again for your feedback, I am really listening to what you have to say and am not totally disagreeing with you! ;-)

2003/5/16 13:01Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

## i am talking about doing what it takes to receive the power so that it can be used for the kingdom. ##

You make it sound like as if one can earn God's grace/outpouring.

## But what if He isn't, and the spiritual environment is so lukewarm here, why should i stay? ##

As God once spoke to me through another, blossom where you are planted.

Pray for God to "let it rain" where you are at. Unless God is specifically calling you to go somewhere else, I think there is not much of a reason to go elsewhere.

2003/5/21 23:25Profile
todd

California

Re:

Quote:
"You make it sound like as if one can earn God's grace/outpouring."

All i know is the patterns set forth in the Bible and in history. They waited and waited. and prayed, and gave thanks, and waited, and waited. Then they prayed and prayed and watied and gave thanks and waited. That's what i meant when i said "doing what it takes." If you call that "earning it" well then i guess, yes, that's what i am saying. And i think that is the pattern always shown. Now of course i believe that God CAN do anything. He CAN touch you and set you on fire,etc., without you doing very much, just by His grace. This is logically possible since God can do anything.
Let me ask you a question, have you received the power from on high?

Quote:
"As God once spoke to me through another, blossom where you are planted."

I have heard that phrase as well and like it. And God may have spoken that to you. That's why I said it's not for everyone, only people that haven't been told to "blossom where they were planted." That might have been a word for you. But then i have to ask you, has it rained yet? How long will you wait? How do you know if you are persevering or just going about it the wrong way? Perseverance brings forth fruit right? and if we ask for a fish He won't give us a stone right? and if it is raining there, i'd like to know where you live. I would like to be rained on, and yes, i am asking for it right here where i am for the time being, but no rain yet.
I think you might be right, but i am tired of everyone saying that (i.e. "stay where you are unless God calls you elsewhere"). And the people giving that advise are still waiting. And that's fine, God might be calling them to do so and someday it may rain.
But I don't know why the general attitude is "stay where you are unless God calls you elsewhere" instead of "Unless God calls you to stay where you are, go elsewhere where He is already working." :-?

2003/5/22 12:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy