SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Temptation?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
WayneFerrel

Raytown, MO

Temptation?

Does the Spirit lead us into temptation?
Matthew 4:1 Jesus was led into temptation by the Spirit to be tempted by the devil,
Matthew 6:13, also in the Lords prayer , we pray lead us not into temptation.
Just wondered what everyone thought on this issue.
Wayne

2005/1/21 9:11Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Temptation?

Hi Wayne

Quote:
Matthew 4:1 Jesus was [u]led into temptation by the Spirit[/u] to be tempted by the devil,

You have fairly major typo here...

[b]Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.(Mat 4:1 KJV)[/b]

He was not led 'into temptation' but 'into the wilderness [u]to be[/u] tempted of the devil

2005/1/21 10:07Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Matt 4:1 says "Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil"

Quote:

WayneFerrel wrote:
Matthew 4:1 Jesus was led into temptation by the Spirit to be tempted by the devil,
Matthew 6:13, also in the Lords prayer , we pray lead us not into temptation.
Just wondered what everyone thought on this issue.
Wayne

I hope that you just had a typo there and the translation you are reading doesnt say that. Does your translation you are reading say that? If it does I belive it is terribly wrong. The sprit did not tempt Jesus, the Tempter (Satan) did. He was led into the wilderness by the sprit but not tempted.
James 1:13-14 Let no man say when he is tempted say I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: but every man is tempted when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

2005/1/21 11:07Profile
jeremyhulsey

Hello wayne,

When the devil tempts us, God is testing us to see if we'll trust Him. But if He Himself led us into temptation, or tempted us then there would be no hope for us to overcome that because who can resist God?

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2005/1/21 11:19Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:

Hi Bro. Wayne,

The issue takes us right back to the Garden of Eden. Christ was the second Adam and even as Adam was 'tested' of the Serpent- so to Christ was also tested. Both Adam and Christ were tested 'from without' or externally. The Devil himself tested them. When we are born again- the Devil is said again to test the Saints for their 'incontenency' or lack of self-control. Before you were born-again, the temptations came from within (the flesh). If the Holy Spirit lives in us we mortify the deeds of the flesh by the power of the Holy Spirit. this is why we MUST stay full of the Holy Ghost. That leaves the World and the Devil to tempt us. We are told not to have fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather, reprove them. We are told to submit ourselves to God- resist the Devil and he will flee from us. If we draw nigh unto God- He will draw nigh unto us.

We are told to pray ... and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.... This tells me that we must appear before the throne of Grace daily to petition God on our own behalf with Christ as our advocate. I see a court room scene here. The enemy demands to sift us as wheat and we pray the Father- "lead us NOT into temptation, but deliver us from evil." Being in the presence of God in prayer is also to invite a fresh filling of the Holy Spirit to keep the flesh mortified. What we are really praying is what I heard a preacher say once, "Petition rejected- permission denied." When the enemy accuses us or demands that we be sifted- we pray in effect, "Father God reject his petition!" I pray that prayer frequently as I feel prompted to pray it. If the Father grants the enemies petition as He did with Sinom Peter, we have all the resources needed for sure victory. We can "count it all joy" because the battle is already won if we will do what we know to do. We must stand ready in the full armor of God. Christ has already overcome the world, we must abide in Him. The trying of our faith is much more precious than that of God that perisheth! For when we have been tried we shall receive the crown of life.

Hope that helps a bit.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/1/21 11:50Profile
Holywarrior

Re: Does God tempt?

In God's sovereignty he allows temptation. Is he the origin of it ? No. We are tempted by the Devil, ourselves and the world...our greatest enemies.

Are we tempted on a daily basis? absolutely
How?
I am tempted every day not to read my bible, not to pray, not to seek God.

May God give me the strength to face the temptations of my life. Only by God's grace can I overcome it.

Brother in Christ
Holywarrior

2005/1/27 9:42Profile
Angyl

Re:

Agree with the majority of the resposnes here. Scripture plainly tells us that God tempts no one. But also clearly says that God allows temptation into our lives and indeed, may set us up to be tempted.

A lot of good can come from our temptations though, if we reseist the devil and perservere. It only strengthens us and brings us closer to the Lord.

2005/1/27 11:19Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy