SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Warriors For Christ? Wha...??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Warriors For Christ? Wha...??

Where does it say in scripture that we need “warriors for Christ”? I hear this ALL the time in the church, particularly when it comes to children and youth. I know that this phrase is meant to muster up boldness, but can true spiritual boldness be mustered up? It’s always been my impression that the Holy Spirit enables us to be bold witnesses.

I also hear this all the time in Christian sports, particularly (again) in youth and teen sports. I know our experience this year with “Christian” high school (homeschool) football involved coaches using foul language (even the “F” word), verbally abusing players and insulting them by invoking the names of several feminine hygiene products as a means to motivate the players to act more like men. (one coach is a deacon at a local mega-church) When confronted we were told they were going to make these teen players “warriors for Christ” by toughening them up. One coach even told us thats why Jesus sent His disciples out with swords on their first mission excursion. (wow, thats not the impression I got from that passage!)

So it got me thinking… where does this come from? Warriors for Christ? What does that mean? Oddly I hear literally nothing about being servants of Christ. About being obedient even unto death for the name of Christ.

No, it’s all about being “courageous” and being “warriors”. But I find very little (if anything) in scripture to support such a phrase or mentality.

Anyone else notice this trend? Did I miss a command in the NT somewhere? "Go into all the world and be warriors..." perhaps?

Krispy

2012/1/26 16:05

Re: Warriors For Christ? Wha...??

HI Krispy,

Seems like an odd subject to me, but since my website is called Scottish warriors for Christ and I know that you know that :) Then I thought I would give it a go. First of all, I know nothing about sports or motivations or anything like that, so I cant comment. I know that you know the OT, and the OT is full of battles of one kind or another where the Israelites were called " stouthearted men.' When we consider David and Gideon and so many others, it certainly conjurs up those imgages, or even Jesus as the commander of the heavenly host on his white horse when He comes back, the lion of Judah. When we consider that the Scriptures tells us that we are in a battle, not against flesh and blood but against principalties and powers, again the imagry used by Scriptures is batte. Jesus deafeated His spiritual foes on Calvary, again, imagary of a war which the enemy has lost. In fact, the examples are too many too mention. One famous Christian man reminded us that Christianity is not a playgeound but a battle-field.

Anyway, the inspiration for my own website was a lady called Julie. She is an older lady in Scotland and a wonderful Christian woman. Her son was murdered in the street in Greenock, shot five times and left to die. The murderer was known, but not enough evidence to take to trial. This woman, when asked by the press about this man, just days after the event, publicly forgave him and told of how Jesus loved him. This to me was a high example of Spiritual warfare.

Krispy, we know that we have to put on the full armour dont we brother? And the Scriptures goes through and uses shields and helmets and swords as metaphors for our spiritual warfare. As I said brother, there are too many to mention. I am just a little surprised at the question because I know that you know the Word and the word is replete with this imagary. Maybe other brothers and sisters out there can give you more examples ? :) ........bro Frank

2012/1/26 16:35
jimp

Re: Warriors For Christ? Wha...??

k k , as primadogma isn't here to tell you i will give you a tad of my wisdom. the thought pattern is after you put on the whole armor of God then you are prepared to attack in war.jimp

2012/1/26 16:36Profile

Re:

Contrast with:

Matthew 5:3-10

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven"

2012/1/26 16:48

Re:

HI Krispey, for some reason your seeming to set this up as one or the other when it seems clear that we are called to be all those things and more in Christ........bro Frank

2012/1/26 16:50

Re:

No, not setting anything up... just working thru some thoughts...

Krispy

2012/1/26 17:00

Re:

If I remember correctly Bunyon portrayed Christian as a warrior in Pilgrims Progress. This particularly is brought out in his battle with Appllyon, the devil.

Blaine

2012/1/26 17:04

Re:

Okay bro, kinda like being as wise as a serpant and as harmless as a dove :) We are part of an army that marches on its knees. This is the army that truly makes the enemy tremble, the kind of army whose soldiers turn the other cheek, the kind of army whose soldiers go the extra mile or when they evil is commited on them they retun love. The kind of army that yields and surrenders to their King but will never yield or surrender to the gods of this world. Do you have my back Krispy? :) I think you would.....see you in the foxhole (together, on our knees,following His word in prayer) :) .........bro Frank

2012/1/26 17:05
dvndsn

Kentucky

Re:

I can see how one would believe that being in this world is being in a war with the world, I believe that because of the scripture appolus quoted. However, I heard a preacher say something of the like: We are not fighting this war for the victory, the victory is ours! We are fighting from the winning side. The only battle we have is in this world. Our chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever, that my friends, is the battle.

2012/1/26 18:28Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

I never really sensed I was in a battle until after I became a Christian. We are seen as warriors most probably because of verbage and symbolism in the Bible, but more importantly because of the reality that we are indeed in a warfare.

1Ti 1:18 This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;

2Co 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

1Ti 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

2Ti 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

I don't want to fill this page with NT scriptures of warfare, battle and fighting because I think you get the point.

If you are a Christian you will know what battle is being talked about concerning the powers of darkness or the flesh or the world.

Better to be a "Warrior for Christ" than for anything else.

Pilgrim

2012/1/26 19:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy