SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : The pressure to evangelise

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The pressure to evangelise

I believe that too many believers are pressured to go out and obey the Great Commission as it is called and in so doing have created more problems than solutions for all concerned.
The exercise of Spiritual Gifts does not always fall back on every individual proclaiming the Gospel in the same manner as those that are called to do so.
And the best intentions are more often than not harmful,the sinners prayer and easy believism have produced ineffectual Christians which is obvious in todays society as can be witnessed on social network sites,in many places sin and repentance have almost disappeared from the vocabulary which has produced such examples as those proclaiming to be Gay Christian etc which make a mockery of Scripture,this is not an attempt at gay bashing so called but is a fact,a professing follower of Jesus cannot openly and publicly live in sin and that includes all sin not only morality.

2012/1/24 17:22
Sree

Re: The pressure to evangelise

Welcome to SI. There are two parts in raising a disciple, 1. is to sow the seed 2. To water the plant.

Both are equally important. We cannot just blame the sowers. The one who waters if he is not watering the right way then the plant is of no use to the one who causes it to Grow. The one who sows should make sure he guides the land to a proper watering Church.

2012/1/24 17:49Profile

Re: Sree

The thrust of the post was to flush out any likeminded people that agree all and sundry are not gifted to evangelise,not the mode of operation,i am well conversant with the parable of the sower and sowing and watering but not everyone is a good gardner,thanks for the welcome.

2012/1/24 18:11
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
The thrust of the post was to flush out any likeminded people that agree all and sundry are not gifted to evangelise,

I might just be one of those “like-minded people”– but only partially. Yes, a lot of evangelism has been done badly – and that has been a turn off. But, no I would not say that the main reason is that people have not been "gifted". It’s that they are not walking in step with God in their own lives – yet believe they are. I think evangelism has been pushed on people by pastors – when the focus should have been on making them into mature, well-equipped disciples of Christ first.

Scripture talks about being a bad witness. Art Katz, whose sermons you find here, also talks about bad evangelism and the mess it’s created in Israel. Therapists talk about it too – because they sometimes have to clean up the mess left by bad proselytizing.

Someone once remarked that the Greek word for “Go” in Jesus’ great commission is a participle, not an imperative, and should be read: “As you go….” In other words “Wherever you find yourself in life….. to the outer parts of the world – make disciples. I don’t think it's conclusive. At any rate, sharing Jesus Christ can’t help but happen “as you go” - when God’s Light is shining in hearts and through lives.

By the way, churinga, If this is an area burdening your heart, you may wish to read “When Charity Destroys Dignity” by Glenn Schwartz (2006). It is an amazing read, and in the book you get your eyes opened about some of the unhealthy missionary enterprises that were established more for the benefit of the missionaries than for the nationals. Africa especially has been hurt by this. You can get the book (among many other excellent reads) from the Voice of the Martyrs web site.

Many of the books they offer prove that effective evangelism has indeed been happening around the world. That’s encouraging to know!

Hope you enjoy SI,
Diane

2012/1/24 19:20Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: The pressure to evangelise

Yes the spread of so called "easy believism" is a problem however, forgive me if I'm wrong but your post seems to imply that some are called to evangelize and some are not. If your sins have been washed by the blood of Christ then you are gifted for evangelism. The Samaritan woman at the well didn't know much and wasn't endowed with great spiritual gifts but she knew Jesus Christ was her Messiah and that was enough for her to become the evangelist who reaped a harvest in her town.

In Christ,

Ron

2012/1/24 19:20Profile
EvangelTam

Re:

yeah i think we need to redefine what "evangelizing" means. it is not nessacarily going out to talk to random strangers though that may be the case.

2012/1/24 19:34Profile

Re: Roadsign

Thank you for the input,i will look for the references you mention,i live in Australia and tried to put some relevant info into the profile which did not register,i am in my seventies and utilise the internet to share the gospel and my testimony and hope my experiences may assist others.
I notice that there is some promotion here in the sidebar for K P Yohannan which i would imagine is an endorsement for GFA ( Gospel for Asia)which i had supported at one time but from personal experience this group preaches a false gospel and is not always truthful when they answered my concerns.

2012/1/24 21:25

Re: Inthelight

Hi from Australa,if you look at the qualifications of those for what we mainly call Pastors of the Church not all are qualified,we are to be witnesses,but we can achieve this without even saying a word.

2012/1/24 21:30
pilgrim777

Re:

If you have a testimony then you are an Overcomer.

If you have a testimony then it is Christ that makes you an Overcomer.

If you have a testimony then you are an epistle read by all men and are sowing seed and watering plants every day by walking in love and God will give you opportunities to be an ambassador for Him, reconciling men to God.

Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

I have found that the Lord puts no pressure on us to achieve results. He only asks us to be faithful. Leave the results in His hand and be faithful to Him at work, at home, when you are alone or in the crowd.

Remember, that the Lord will lead you like a Shepherd but the Devil will only drive you. He is a driven spirit. He goes to and fro throughout the earth seeking whom he may destroy. He seeks to destroy us by masking the Lord's voice and then driving us with what we think is the Lord voice.

Luke 4:1 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was LED by the Spirit into the wilderness,

Notice, that Jesus was LED into the the wilderness.

Notice in the next verse how the Devil brings one into the "wilderness" by DRIVING them.

Luke 8:29 (For he had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For oftentimes it had caught him: and he was kept bound with chains and in fetters; and he brake the bands, and was DRIVEN of the devil into the wilderness.)

The enemy "drives" you and he uses people to drive you. Religious people will drive you to achieve results. They will measure your spiritual life by your results. "What are you doing for the Lord?" This is the question that is always asked.

In fact, the first thing that the man in Matthew 7 is talking about at the judgement, is his accomplishments. He is talking about himself! That shows he did not know the Lord and the Lord told him that. "I never knew you!"

The Devil always hides behind people and will try to drive you by all those that are not abiding in Jesus Christ.

God says, "know" me and leave the results to Me.

Martha was so driven in the flesh she even accused Mary to to the Lord. Jesus said, "And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41-42

If we hear the Lord and get to know Him, we will stop being driven by people who are driven by the enemy. His sheep hear His voice and another they will not follow.

The Holy Spirit always leads in peace.

Dear Christian, if you concentrate on knowing the Lord (like Mary), don't you think you can trust Him to live His life in you and lead you each day?

2Th 3:16 Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all.

2012/1/25 0:53Profile

Re: pilgrim777

I appreciate the amount of work put into your reply,but the pressure i am alluding to is that which can be applied in some denominational churches upon all members,if you have not experienced this then it would not be fully appreciated.
Because of the times we now live scripturally aligned churches are to my experience non-existent,by that i mean the clergy laity system is alive and well,and as such the congregational meeting does not exist,the members do not participate in the meeting where the exercise of spiritual gifts is the norm and for want of a better expression are mere spectators,the Pastor is central and the sermon is the highlight of the meeting.

2012/1/25 4:09

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy