SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Being Slain in the Spirit by Bill Niland

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
As for 1 Cor 4.6, they didn’t even have the Bible as we have come to know it today, so what is Paul talking about here?

They had all of the Old Testament which Paul reaffirmed was correct for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness (2 Tim 3:16), and they also had what he had written himself to them, very many times speaking direct commandments from the Lord. None of which contained being "slain in the Spirit". And no matter what exactly he was referring to as "what was written", it still doesn't change the fact that he said to not go beyond it. And everything that had been written up to that point (and since for that matter) does not confirm it.

I'll go with Paul's instruction on this one. And like Krispy said, I think it's better to err on the side of caution regarding matters such as these. Especially in these days.

2012/1/26 9:04
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Are you sure there is no reference to priests in the holy of holies?? I'm just asking. I'm over and out!! hehe

God bless you,
Lisa

2012/1/26 9:15Profile

Re:

Quote:
it doesn’t directly state that the disciples did fall down after Jesus breathed on them and it doesn’t state they didn’t either. It also says in John 21.25 that of all the things that Jesus did that the world itself couldn’t contain the books should be all be written down. Knowing that, how can most of you even take the sides that you take on SI?

Hmmm... thats kinda of a dangerous way of looking at things, sister. "It never says it didnt happen" has never been an acceptable form of Bible interpretation down thru church history. (I know some here scoff at those who study church history, but some very important precidences can be drawn from it.) This type of reverse-deductive reasoning leaves the door open to all kinds of speculation and crazy ideas.

It never says that Jesus didnt paint Himself purple and play black jack in Vegas... therefore it's ok for us to do that.

I know thats extreme, but we've seen some extreme stuff in cults and things like that. You get what I am saying.

Krispy

2012/1/26 9:15

Re:

Which way were they falling? On their face in reverence? Or losing control and toppling over backwards in the same way it was shown happening to the heathen as mentioned in the article, or the same way that the Kundalini cults practice it?

Over here in Asia they have all sorts of manifestations of that sort. Looks the same. They just have a different name for it.

2012/1/26 9:20

Re: Being Slain in the Spirit by Bill Niland

"There is no Biblical evidence showing one being slain the spirit."

Possibly not, but there is evidence that something did happen or a man would not have offered money at one time.

Lets look at it for a moment. Please don't rush through reading it, read it as if your speaking to a crowd, and not as an auctioneer.

Acts 8:9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:

Acts 8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

Acts 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

Acts 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:

Acts 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Note: So much for the teaching of getting the Holy Ghost at the time of just believing eh?)

Acts 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Acts 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

This is the question that I will present to everyone here,

What did Simon see that caused him to want to offer money to buy the Holy Ghost from the Apostles?

You have to remember, this man was a sorcerer. He was a conjurer of tricks. He would have used incantations and body jerking and all kinds of wizardery to make people believe that he was the "great power of God". He did all of these things, but there was something that he was seeing when the Apostles laid their hands on the people that caused him to want to add this trick to his magic show.

Folks, what we don't understand, lets leave it to God.

Bible4life, it would be best to leave this subject alone for if it is of God, you'll only be fighting against God. When the days of Revival come that will shake the foundation of the world, your going to see everything that you spoke against come to pass. People that spoke against the power of God through miracles and signs and working through and in His people will see these things and if your hardened to them now, you'll fight against what God will be doing then.

One of the signs that Tommy Hicks gave in the vision of the revival that is coming said that those that "should" have known better to receive the outpouring put up their umbrellas because they thought that this move was not of God.

2012/1/26 9:28

Re:

The Holy Spirit's main objective is to point toward Christ... not bring attention to man with all sorts of weird out of control "manifestations". Especially considering that one of the fruits of the Spirit is SELF CONTROL.

And what was one of the qualifications for church leadership that is mentioned over and over again in the books of Timothy and Titus? SELF CONTROL.

So... while being "slain in the Spirit" is never once mentioned in all of scripture, SELF CONTROL is mentioned multiple times.

This is not brain surgery, folks.

Krispy

2012/1/26 9:32

Re:

Quote:
So... while being "slain in the Spirit" is never once mentioned in all of scripture, SELF CONTROL is mentioned multiple times.

This is not brain surgery, folks.

Well said.

2012/1/26 9:36
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
EverestoSama:
Which way were they falling? On their face in reverence? Or losing control and toppling over backwards in the same way it was shown happening to the heathen as mentioned in the article, or the same way that the Kundalini cults practice it?

You stated that (there were no Biblical references) and that you would go with Paul’s instruction on this one, so now you are saying that there are indeed O.T. references to being slain in the Spirit??

(Since there are references it's) Interesting that now you’ve changed your argument to how they fell. Hmmmm.

God bless,
Lisa

edited for clarity

2012/1/26 9:45Profile

Re:

"not bring attention to man with all sorts of weird out of control "manifestations". Especially considering that one of the fruits of the Spirit is SELF CONTROL."

"Out of control" manifestations.

You've hit it on the nail brother. That is how non Pentecostals see those that have these manifestations whether controlled or not, as.

The "self control" does not apply here because as the fruit is of the same source so is the manifestation. Self Control is not really a good word to use, it's the newer versions use of the word Temperance but it's not self control at all. Temperance is a fruit of the Spirit not my spirit, but His Spirit, He is the one tempering me, not me it. The verse that comes to mind for that is,

Galatians 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: SO THAT YOU CANNOT DO THE THINGS THAT YOU WOULD.

I know that to be true in my own life. When I was doing something that was harmful to my spirit, the Lord put in place a marker, "this far and no further". There was such a fear to go beyond that line. After many years I have learned to love Him for those restraints. But they were not my restraints, they were His, as if tying me down on an altar to keep me in place so He can perform His sacrifice.

Non Pentecostals can't get beyond their own mind. Smith Wigglesworth was one of them. A Baptist minister who argued tooth and nail against speaking in tongues and that is all he argued against was the manifestations. He was hungry for the Holy Spirit you see and he couldn't wrap his mind around this manifestation, and he really shouldn't have been. We Pentecostals love to share and in sharing get so many different ways of how each person received the Holy Spirit that people get overloaded as it were with varied information that causes problems for people when they should just seek Jesus. In the end for me, I just sought Jesus. For Wigglesworth, in the end, he just sought Jesus and God filled him and he did speak in tongues mind you but he was able to get his mind wrapped around to just seeking Jesus and no one will ever go wrong in doing that because God is not going to give someone a demon if they are seeking Him with a sincere heart for the Holy Ghost.

Non Pentecostals, I mean anyone or denomination that doesn't agree with the Holy Spirit and it's gifts working through His body.

2012/1/26 9:58

Re:

As for being "Slain in the Spirit".

As a Pentecostal by experience I have experienced this only once in my life.

I wasn't looking for an emotional high, I went up to the altar and the minister turned to me and told me that I was "called". I thought, "Okay, thats nice" and my knees gave out on me and I fell flat on my back. There are always catchers behind you to make sure that you don't hit the floor hard, but it's not always necessary, however, it's nice to know that there is.

In Carter Conlon's testimony of being filled with the Spirit he didn't like the idea of anyone behind him and told the person to move away and he did. But when God filled him he fell flat on his back, SMASH! But that didn't matter, like all things from God, even God looks after that as well, he was speaking in tongues as the joy of the Lord was filling his soul.

However, I do remember a testimony of a sister who was "dancing in the Spirit" and she hit her leg and broke it and ended up in the hospital. Many people in the Church said it wasn't of God, but God has ways of doing things. She witnessed to two families while she was in the hospital and they all got saved. God sent Joseph into a prison and resurrects him to be a saviour for his people. At the time when Joseph was in prison many could have said, "he'll never be used". God said, "I wound and heal, I kill and make alive".

2012/1/26 10:17

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy