SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What happens to the saints after they die?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

What happens to the saints after they die?

I've noticed that when loved ones pass on it is said that they have gone on to heaven. I'm noot entirely sure of this, in fact I think not but I would like someone to clarify this for me. Is there any scriptural backing for this?

2005/1/20 11:08Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: What happens to the saints after they die?

Not so sure about heaven, but certanily with the Lord. Then again we will probably be outside of time when we die so we might have already not yet stood before the judgement seat :-?

2005/1/20 11:18Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

To be with the Lord is heaven to me.

2005/1/20 13:53Profile
jeremyhulsey

Accroding the 2Cor 5:8 to be absent from the body(i.e. dead) is to be present with the Lord. The Lord ascended to Heaven 40 days after His ressurection to be seated at the right hand of the Father. So I would say that yes when a saint dies he/she goes immediately to heaven.

A point to remember is that Heaven is not going to be our final destination. Instead it's eventually going to be the new heavens and the new earth where we will live with God in the New Jerusalem. Philo could elaborate this point more elequently and probably more correctly than I could but the heaven that exists now is the throne of God and serves as a holding place for the departed saints until the judgment as I see it.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2005/1/20 14:04Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Did we talk about this before? Here is a gentle starter. Heaven and how to get there

2005/1/20 14:14Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
[i]Jeremy posted:[/i] A point to remember is that Heaven is not going to be our final destination. Instead it's eventually going to be the new heavens and the new earth where we will live with God in the New Jerusalem.

I wonder whether we might have bit of confusion here over the different ways the scripture uses the word 'heaven'. As mentioned in the little tract linked in the earlier posting; the scriptures use the word heaven for 3 different locations; the air above us, the starry heavens, and the heaven of heavens. I don't think [b]And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. (Rev 21:1 KJV)[/b] is referring to the heaven of heavens.

If you want to make it more complicated something has already happened in the 'heaven of heavens'. (Heb 9:23) I can't see why that would need to be renewed now that it has been thoroughly purified?

2005/1/20 14:26Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Are the "new heavens and earth" new because they're being purified or is it because God is inaugurating a new age??

2005/1/20 14:47Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Are the "new heavens and earth" new because they're being purified or is it because God is inaugurating a new age??

Jesus used the language of regeneration to describe this consummation of the ages. (Matt 19:28) I don't think the new heaven (singular) and earth need purifying. I think they are the replaced physical creation. They arrive only after the first heaven and earth have passed away. (Rev 21:1) I don't see this new heaven and earth as process ie purifying but as an instant creation.

The process of the 'passing away' is the melting of the elements (2 Pet 3:10). This is a final and absolute judgment rather than a purifying process.

2005/1/20 18:06Profile

Re:

I think about this occasionally and I always think about that scripture that says something about those that are asleep in Christ will rise first or something (may have to correct me as I am no theologian!) and I wonder if it means that if someone dies before Christ comes again then they will kind of be put on hold until that moment but that maybe to them, it may just be like blinking.

2005/1/21 8:23
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

I haven't been involved in any discussion of this subject and I was curious. I will check out the link you sent in your post and see what it says.
thanks

2005/1/21 15:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy