SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is Christian Fundamentalism Really All That Bad?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Is Christian Fundamentalism Really All That Bad?

From the little I've read on Christian Fundamentalism, it began as a movement in the late 1800s as a reaction to liberalism, a reaction to the denial of the authority of God's Word.

You can check out this article on it from wikepedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism

When I first came to the Lord around 13 yrs ago I was introduced to the teachings of Spurgeon, MacArthur, and others who many would consider to be Christian fundamentalists.

I remember back then taking lessons on the "Fundamentals of the Faith" and learning what is "Essential Christian Doctrine". It was about learning of the deity of Christ, His virgin birth, His vicarious death on the cross for sinners, etc. All that laid a foundation for me as to what doctrines I would believe for the coming years as a Christian.

Over the years as I've been sharing the gospel with non-believers I have noticed that they will use the term "Christian Fundie" as a put-down toward those of us who believe the Bible to be God's inerrant and infallible Word. But I have also seen in recent years that many Christians use it to put down other Christians, and in all honesty that has been somewhat disturbing for me to see.

Granted, the most negative type of "Christian Fundamentalism" I've heard of and seen is the Fred Phelps type. But don't we see good and bad among all denominations or groups? Why throw out the baby with the bath water?

And I can understand why believers would be against simple "head knowledge" as opposed to "experiential knowledge". But doesn't God's Word also emphasize renewing our "minds" daily through God's Word right along with "walking in the Spirit"?

For the most part for me, Christian Fundamentalism has been about sticking firmly with child-like faith to God's Word and sound doctrine and not straying away into liberalism, new agism, or any other destructive beliefs. Let's face it, we live in a time when God's Word is being attacked on all fronts both from without and from within.

Would it really be that bad if Christians began to take a stand for God's Word and actually proclaim it from the roof tops? If believers would rise up and declare to a lost and dying world, "Thus says the Word of God!"? If we would stand up and preach boldly against all the wickedness of our day and warn every man to flee from the wrath to come, as scripture clearly warns? If we would also boldly declare the good news of the cross of Christ and His resurrection from the dead and the forgiveness of sins and salvation available only through Him?

Please tell me what I am not seeing that is so bad about "Christian Fundamentalism".

2012/1/21 10:26Profile
ManofGod0000

Re: Why I Am A Christian Fundumentalist

Are you asking that question to be answered or are u declaring why you are fundamentalist?

2012/1/21 10:56Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Why I Am A Christian Fundumentalist

Quote:
Please tell me what I am not seeing that is so bad about "Christian Fundamentalism".

Christian Fundamentalism in itslef is not a bad thing, it is when man steps in that it gets messy. People do not like to be confronted with the Word. When people are confronted with the Word and the truth of the Word, it can usually turn into a Ad hominem attack back from the hearer of the Word. Conviction is a great thing.

I try to live by this. We are called to preach the Word and Christ crucified. For the most part, we are not called to make sure that the people understand the message, only that they get the message. The Holy Spirit is the one that will have to work the message out inside of them.

Some are called to sow, while others are called to harvest. The Lord has made me a sower of the Word, this I know.

John 4:34-38, "Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work. Do you not say, ‘There are still four months and then comes the harvest’? Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest! And he who reaps receives wages, and gathers fruit for eternal life, that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together. For in this the saying is true: ‘One sows and another reaps.’ I sent you to reap that for which you have not labored; others have labored, and you have entered into their labors.”

2012/1/21 11:07Profile
ManofGod0000

Re:

Christian fundamentals can bring forth as you said a type of head knowledge, but nothing in the heart to confer or confirm its power in u.

The letter in itself kills, but it is God's spirit that makes us come alive.

The Lord will teach you that fundamentals are not following Him persay, its doctrine. Stick to this, deny yourself, take up ur cross and follow Jesus and then fundamentalism will be given its proper place.

Love you

2012/1/21 11:40Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

ManofGod0000 wrote "Are you asking that question to be answered or are u declaring why you are fundamentalist?"

Just asking why so much opposition to clinging to God's Word? I just don't get it coming from Christians.

I'm just saying if Christian Fundamentalism means believing and declaring God's truth then count me in as one of them "fundies".

Jesus said plainly, "For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.”(Mark 8:38)

2012/1/21 19:28Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Amen, Oracio. Many do not want to stand with the Word of God. If you do, you are criticized. Jesus said that we are to worship Him in spirit and in truth. It takes both the Word and the Spirit; the letter and conviction. THe reason many do not stand for the Word, is that they are ashamed of Him and/or do not really believe what God says. If you believe, you will stand and live for Him.

2012/1/21 20:27Profile

Re:

The answer is quite simple, really: Most people who claim to be a Christian have never been saved. How can one be saved an be hostile toward the Word of God and how it commands us to live?

Jesus said:

“If you love me, you will keep my commandments." (John 14:15)

"Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me." (John 14:23-24)

It cant be any clearer than that. If you are loving Christ and living by His Word and preaching His Word to others out of love and concern for them (and for the Lord)... and you are mocked and ridiculed by those who call themselves Christians... pray for their salvation because the Bible plainly states that they are not saved.

I've noticed the same thing you have in the church today. I've come to the conclusion that this is so because the churches are filled to the gills with GOATS.

The "church-house" is becoming a mission field. The only problem is that most churches in the land are more concerned about entertaining and maintaining the goats than they are feeding Christ's sheep.

Preach the Word and let God sort them out. Most goats will flee... some will get saved, and the sheep will flourish.

Krispy

2012/1/24 7:00
jimp

Re:

hi, the emphasis is on the love me...cause when you love you honor and obey.a fundy is someone i picture as one with missing teeth,no tact, no wisdom, no love and a big ego.someone who knows the word of God ,more than the God of the word..obnoxeous and offensive.quite a few here.ususlly young, ever sowing never reaping.i have met and been hurt by quite a few in 48 yrs.of being with the Lord.jimp when i say here i mean where i live and minister in baton rouge.you figure it out.

2012/1/24 8:30Profile

Re:

That’s not too judgemental, now is it. You just did what you accuse “fundies” of doing. You accuse “fundies” of being judgemental while you are judging them. You don’t see any hypocrisy in that?

Putting that aside, I have met people like you described in every denomination and sect in Christianity. Fundamentalists do not have the corner market on that.

I’m just curious, what does not having any teeth have to do with one’s spirituality?

Thanks jimp for demonstrating for us all exactly what we are talking about. :-)

Krispy

2012/1/24 8:51
jimp

Re:

hi, it is part of the humor.i think you got it.

2012/1/24 9:42Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy