SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Love of God song

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

The Love of God song

I've been listening of late to a song by a man named Huw Priday, a classical singer from Wales. He sings a marvelous song entitled "The Love of God." Here are the lyrics for those who have not heard the song.

The Love of God is greater far
Than tongue or pen can ever tell,
It goes beyond the highest star
And reaches to the lowest hell;

The guilty pair, bowed down with care,
God gave His Son to win:
His erring child He reconciled
And pardoned from his sin.

Could we with ink the ocean fill
And were the skies of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill
And every man a scribe by trade,

To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry,
Nor could the scroll contain the whole
Though stretched from sky to sky

O Love of God how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure
The saints' and angel's song.

What a wonderful song.

2005/1/19 17:21Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: The Love of God song

Fred­er­ick M. Leh­man; he wrote this song in 1917 in Pas­a­de­na, Cal­i­fornia, and it was pub­lished in Songs That Are Dif­fen­ent, Vol­ume 2, 1919. The lyr­ics are based on the Jew­ish poem Had­da­mut, writ­ten in Ara­ma­ic in 1050 by Meir Ben Isaac Ne­hor­ai, a can­tor in Worms, Ger­ma­ny; they have been trans­lat­ed in­to at least 18 lang­uages.

One day, dur­ing short in­ter­vals of in­at­ten­tion to our work, we picked up a scrap of pa­per and, seat­ed up­on an emp­ty le­mon box pushed against the wall, with a stub pen­cil, add­ed the (first) two stan­zas and chor­us of the song…Since the lines (3rd stan­za from the Jew­ish po­em) had been found pen­ciled on the wall of a pa­tient’s room in an in­sane asy­lum af­ter he had been car­ried to his grave, the gen­er­al opin­ion was that this in­mate had writ­ten the epic in mo­ments of san.

2005/1/19 18:07Profile
Spitfire

Re: The Love of God song

Ed. I can't believe you posted this song! My mom and I sing this song as an acapella duet. It is a great song! I love that line that says, "to write the love of God above would drain the oceans dry". Love, Dian.

2005/1/19 21:29Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Thanks for the history Ron. I was raised in a Baptist/Holiness/Pentecostal background and first heard this song a couple of weeks ago. It truly is an amazing song.

Dian, maybe you and your Mom can record and share with the SI family. That would be a treat!

2005/1/19 21:41Profile
Spitfire

Re:

Quote:
Dian, maybe you and your Mom can record and share with the SI family. That would be a treat!

I'm not sure how to go about that. Would we just need to put it on a tape and submit it to Greg? My mom is 71 years old. She would love that.

2005/1/19 21:54Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re:

Just fyi, bart millard of mercy me (i can only imagine) recorded that song on thier album spoken for. they do a good job. another song you all shoulkd check out is God Alone by PCD.

2005/1/21 6:52Profile
phebebird

San Pedro, California

Re:

Oh, this is my very favorite song, and, thanks to Ron, I finally know the history. I knew the bit about the insane asylum, but not who put the thing all together. Thanks, Gideons, for writing out the lyrics. However, there is one more verse--the second one:

When years of time shall pass away
And earthly thrones and kingdoms fall
When men who here refuse to pray
On rocks and hills and mountains call

God's love so sure shall still edure
All measureless and strong
Redeeming grace to Adam's race
The saints and angels song.

This is also one of my daughter's favorite songs. I sing it to her like a lullaby. One morning I was singing it to her and she was singing along. When we got to the line "the guilty pair bowed down with care God gave His Son to win", Cassie confidently and sincerely sang "the guilty bear bowed down with care God gave His Son to win". I'm so glad to know that God loves the animals too... :)

Phebe

2005/1/21 16:12Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Thanks Phebe,

It's a great song and it has encouraged me so much. Dian you could record it on tape and send to Greg or send to me and I'll convert it into a MP3 file.

Ed

2005/1/21 17:35Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy