SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I am trying to understand what the Bible does say on some things

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

What Pilgrim said...

2012/1/18 19:34Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

thanks guys. I still want to take more time and read through what you have written here so I understand better. But thanks

rdg

2012/1/18 19:39Profile

Re:

Quote:
Miccah wrote:

Yes, but what does Jesus say to do? If you love me?.?.?

Also, there are specific things that we are to do. We are to help the poor, the orphans, widows... Being in Christ saves us, but being a Christian does consist of "doing the stuff".

"Jesus, when did we see you in prison, hungry, naked...?

Quote:
Pilrgim Replied:

That is true, Miccah. But it all must be Spirit led and not flesh (our own understanding) led, otherwise if it is not authored by the Lord it will just burn up as wood, hay and stubble.

If we are abiding in Him, He will lead us in a way that pleases Him.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim, can you quote the Scriptures that Miccah was referring to?

They'd be from two of the Gospels and one Epistle.

2012/1/18 20:25
rainydaygirl

Re:

So Areadymind I spent some more time reading through your other posts.
The question I would like to ask you, in light of Romans 14 is...are you ready to accept that the Lordship of Christ over his people as more fundamentally important to you than your own ideas of how his followers should behave concerning issues that are not "clearly" right or wrong? (I say this in spite of the fact that many would claim that moralistic issues are always in fact "black and white" when Romans here makes it prevalently obvious that there are issues and times where one behavior is wrong for one person and is not wrong for another, but rather they are issues of conscience. This is patently obvious when you raise your own children, but for some reason seems generally impossible to grasp theologically, as if we throw all we know about life out the window when we seek the scriptures answers.)

I wanted to respond to what you wrote here. I have always thought of things in terms of black and white in the past so this is a little hard for me i will admit. i get what your saying though but I need more prayer on this.
thanks again for taking the time to write this out and post here for me.

rdg

2012/1/18 21:47Profile

Re: I am trying to understand what the Bible does say on some things

Rainygirl said; "The gist I am getting from some posters here is that the Bible is a great guide book but does not really give us clear answers for today's believer so that some topics are can be understood differently by different folks??? For example some issue that have been on my mind and that I have had some struggle with is what is viewed in movies, or tv and video games? Can a young woman today find some clear answers to this topic or not?"

The bible is certainly a guide book, it's to show us that we can't live it. It points to Jesus that could and did.

How we read the bible is by reading it's words, and the key ingredient here is in the asking that God would make it real in our lives. We can't apply it, we can't quote it to others expecting them to live it. It's purpose is to show us that we can't do it in of ourselves.

We've read the verse that says, "It's not by might, it's not by power, but it's by My Spirit saith the Lord".

If you want God to install something in your harddrive, your going to have to ask Him for the software to be downloaded into your spirit man so that from your innermost being will flow rivers of living water. It must come from that source or it's flesh.

Flesh thrives on works. It thrives on men and women who take the bible and try to live it out through their own strength and they fail miserably every time. It must be His strength, or it's not by His Spirit. The scriptures have already been lived out through Christ, it is He that does the living, not us. We are dead to sin and alive unto Christ. Christ is being formed in us, He alone can live what is most pleasing before God.

Now understand that the works were completed before the foundation of the world, however, though they are complete, they are still being worked out in us. We go through the processes because we need to learn from the growing in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Cherish the bible because it's God's testimonies of His work in and through men, but the true life is in Jesus Christ.

God Bless

2012/1/18 22:56
ArtB

New York

Re: I am trying to understand what the Bible does say on some things

[quote rainydaygirl]

by rainydaygirl on 2012/1/18 10:06:20

Hey

So I have been around here for a time, although I do not post all that often. I have gone through some time of really questioning. I have been reading my Bible and lately there have been a few topics posted here in forums that are really confusing to me. The jest I am getting from some posters here is that the Bible is a great guide book but does not really give us clear answers for today's believer so that some topics are can be understood differently by different folks??? For example some issue that have been on my mind and that I have had some struggle with is what is viewed in movies, or tv and video games? Can a young woman today find some clear answers to this topic or not?

I believe you answered your own question, rainydaygirl.

If you are struggling with the morals or message in certain movies, or TV, or video games, then follow your heart and instincts and do avoid them. If you truly believe watching a TV show. or a movie, or playing certain video games, are sinful, it would be sin for you to watch them. And you and their father have the right to prohibit your minor children from watching them.

And if I knew about a movie I wanted to play when you and your family are present in my home, a movie that I believe is a good movie, but I know that this movie happens to be a movie that you disapprove of as sinful or ungodly, perhaps a movie like 'Rocky' which has strong violence, bad language, or because young children are present etc. It would be sin for me to play that that movie while you, or any young children, are in my home.

Right and wrong are not always rigid, cut and dry. Sometimes it is actually relative. Here is a lesson on this by The Apostle Paul.

1 Co 10:23-33

23 All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor. Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience' sake; FOR THE EARTH IS THE LORD'S, AND ALL IT CONTAINS.

If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience' sake. But if anyone says to you, "This is meat sacrificed to idols," do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience' sake;

I mean not your own conscience, but the other man's; for why is my freedom judged by another's conscience? If I partake with thankfulness, why am I slandered concerning that for which I give thanks?

31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God; 33 just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit but the profit of the many, so that they may be saved.
NASU

So if I buy in the market place an inexpensive fresh T-Bone Steak that came from a cow that was sacrificed to an Idol, and no one knows about that or in any way would be offended by it, I would truly enjoy eating that T-Bone Steak.

2012/1/18 23:53Profile

Re:

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick [Living], and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

I suppose this is why Jesus used only the Word against Satan and why He said that His Words are spirit and life, in and of themselves.

There's some good commentaries on this one verse in the e-sword.

Praying for and with you rdg.

2012/1/18 23:56
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

RDG, after you responded, I realized that though I do believe everything I said, I am not 100% sure it applies to your situation. I do believe that most R rated movies are absolute trash and a stench. There is one out there, however that I would, with a pure conscience recommend to any mature Christian. My only concern is how we deal with discussing these issues with people. There are many things that I have heard Christians say are "sin" over the years and they are not right.

I do believe that what God has said in his word is black and white. But Romans 14 instructs me that there are issues of moral conscience. The ultimate problem is searing our conscience.

The bible is clear that we are not to set any wicked thing before our eyes. Jesus said that the eyes are the lamp of the body and if thine eye be evil...

Your brothers are under your authority, and subject to you and your husbands convictions. That being said, just tell them how things are going to be in your home, obey the Lord, and that is black and white fact there is nothing to bandy about there. If I was in your situation that is what I would do. Simply lay down the law. I would never tell them that keeping my rules or the Lord's rules was how they were saved, or anything like that. Romans 14 has BROTHERS in Christ in mind, and I took your relationship with them a bit wrong at first. I assumed you were under the authority of your parents, and I was wrong in that perception. I think I may have missed the mark a bit on this one.

2012/1/19 0:07Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

One other thing about Romans 14 is that both the weak, and the spiritual brother do what they do, with the intent to honor God. I find it hard to imagine that a person can generally watch trashy movies and convince themselves that they are honoring God.

2012/1/19 0:49Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

areadymind thanks for writing to me. I see what your saying and it makes sense to me. I do think though that i have been trying to live by some ideas and notions of what is good and bad rather then by trusting in our Lord. I don't like to admit it but I see that i have been a coward in a lot of things and using my situation as an excuse not to be living up to what God has been showing me. i want to be there friend sometimes and not the bad guy. i kept thinking if they would just see things my way then they wouldn't want to watch some of this stuff either but that sin on my part for sure. i also realize it was a cowardly way to deal with them, easy on me but not really loving toward them. don't know if I have this all settled in my mind but thanks for helping along the way.

think i will be spending more time in my Bible and prayer for the family and those around me. i think i started this thinking it was all them and now see that it pretty much is me

rdg

2012/1/19 8:11Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy