SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I am trying to understand what the Bible does say on some things

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
rainydaygirl

I am trying to understand what the Bible does say on some things

Hey

So I have been around here for a time, although I do not post all that often. I have gone through some time of really questioning. I have been reading my Bible and lately there have been a few topics posted here in forums that are really confusing to me. The jest I am getting from some posters here is that the Bible is a great guide book but does not really give us clear answers for today's believer so that some topics are can be understood differently by different folks??? For example some issue that have been on my mind and that I have had some struggle with is what is viewed in movies, or tv and video games? Can a young woman today find some clear answers to this topic or not?

I have several others topics that I really am questioning based off of the threads posted here of late but if anyone wants to help me sift through this, this is a good one to begin with.

thanks
rdg

2012/1/18 13:06Profile
jimp

Re: I am trying to understand what the Bible does say on some things

dear rainydaygirl,i am an old man who has been saved a long time and i do not have all the answers yet and do not answer all the questions. we serve a loving,compassionate God...He loves you and sent His Son to die for you and take the wrath of the Father on Himself in your stead.the message is all about the cross and His raising from the dead.it is a message of great love for you and all you have to do is believe on Him and give your life to Him.so you must trust Him with your life,for he gave His for you.labor to enter into the rest that is found only in Jesus.stop trying to be good and earn points with God and be overwhelmed by love,for He is love.keep it simple.if you love someone you avoid offending them naturally.love has great power and fear has torment.do not keep your eyes on your failings but set your eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.it is not about law at all but about grace peace and love.jimp

2012/1/18 13:28Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

I highly recommend reading Romans chapter 14. Carefully and prayerfully. Read it in context with the rest of the epistle. I hope and pray that the Spirit helps you to get wisdom from on high concerning this issue sister.

2012/1/18 13:36Profile
Sree

With all due respect to Sermon Index, this forum is not the right place to ask questions. You will only be deceived. I find most posters are acting like doctors who answers patients struggling with symptoms of Cancer, "don't worry you are perfectly fine go home and believe that you are fine and this is faith". Is such a person a doctor no matter how many years he things he has been SAVED ( truth is salvation is everyday)? A true doctor will treat the cancer as soon as he identifies it in his patient.

SIN is much worse than Cancer. It spreads faster and makes one insensitive to God. A Leper is not sensitive to pinching.

2012/1/18 14:34Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Guard your heart for out of it flow the issues of life.

If the Lord puts a check in your spirit, don't do it.

He is your Shepherd and wants to lead you. Don't grieve the Holy Spirit.

if you are abiding in Him you will know if He is grieved or not.

Pilgrim

2012/1/18 15:05Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

Thank you for recommending I read Romans chapter 14. I have read this and here is my situation in light of the following:
" 1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. 4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand."

There are family members who very much like certain police shows, mysteries, and video games. I have a hard time with all the violence but they do not seem bothered by these things at all. If I ask they tell me they honestly feel no conviction about viewing these things or playing war games. If I share what I am seeing because I love them and I fear for them and the effect, the hardness I see because of these things they view am I being judgmental? Maybe I am?? IS there no real standard then?? Is that what it comes down to? If I have a hard time with it I should just get up and leave and alone my brothers to watch it with out saying anything???

rdg

2012/1/18 15:18Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

rdg: The Bible is not a book that contains "different strokes for different folks" so that one may decide for himself what he thinks it means. The Bible is very explicit in its statements so that there is really little that need be implied. Granted not all of us interpret certain passages the same way, but I am convinced if we would all lay aside our desire to be right and focus on humbly being correct we would eventually all arrive at the same place. But such is the human condition right? I too am guilty. That being said, the Bible does not give absolute instruction on every topic of life. For example, scripture does not speak of movie ratings and of content filtering. It does, however, say things like "guard your heart for out of it spring forth the issues of life", or "whatsoever things are lovely...think on these things", or, "It is a shame to even speak of things that the wicked do in private." Now we must ask how do we apply this to movies. We were never meant to be governed only by a written letter. We must not leave out the dealings of the Holy Spirit with our heart. Let's say we sit down to watch a movie. We are aware of some questionable content, and we have felt the tugging of the Holy Spirit at our heart but we have subdued that voice thinking that the word does not specifically forbid our watching this thing. What are we doing???? However perhaps we have a question about a more mild picture with less graphic content. Perhaps it is just the overall message that wars against the things of God in us. We must trust the Holy Spirit to speak to us and listen to His voice. For me personally, I rarely ever watch movies, perhaps 4 or 5 per year, and then only when I have very carefully vetted them. I simply want the things of God more than I want entertainment. But I hope you see the principle I am getting at. We must have the word actively at work along with the Holy Spirit guiding us. Both will agree.

2012/1/18 16:50Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

One of the fundamental thematics of Romans fourteen is the idea that Jesus is the Lord of his followers. What is at stake in Romans 14 are issues of conscience. In Paul's heyday, eating meat sacrificed to idols would be tantamount to blasphemy in some peoples books, the funny thing is Paul calls this the belief of the weaker brother. Romans, Galatians, Corinthians, and many other epistles lay out what is ACTUALLY wrong for believers to engage in. I could take the time to make a comprehensive list, but I am sure you could make one yourself.

The question I would like to ask you, in light of Romans 14 is...are you ready to accept that the Lordship of Christ over his people as more fundamentally important to you than your own ideas of how his followers should behave concerning issues that are not "clearly" right or wrong? (I say this in spite of the fact that many would claim that moralistic issues are always in fact "black and white" when Romans here makes it prevalently obvious that there are issues and times where one behavior is wrong for one person and is not wrong for another, but rather they are issues of conscience. This is patently obvious when you raise your own children, but for some reason seems generally impossible to grasp theologically, as if we throw all we know about life out the window when we seek the scriptures answers.)

What is most important is...is Jesus their Lord? If he is in fact their Lord, then you have a direct line to his desk. You have access to the "red phone" as it were. If these issues are ruining these peoples lives, ruining the lives of others, causing them to fall into adultery, fornication, lieing, and all the like, then by all means, pray that God delivers them, tell them they are in sin because they are not living up to the pattern set forth in the N.T., he is their Lord, after all, is he not capable of keeping his kids from falling? Even if what they are doing is not leading to these things, seek the Lord, he will either change their hearts, or he will change yours. He is, after all, the Lord of Glory.

There is a sermon on here somewhere by Art Katz where he draws the distinction between what is "moral," vs. what is "moralistic." Moralism is always a man made standard by which men use as a measuring rod to make themselves feel better about their own perceived sense of righteousness. But that which is "moral" is that character which proceeds from God. Please do not take anything I am saying as personal. I have no idea how these things are playing out in your life. I am trying to speak objectively concerning what Romans 14 has to say to us today.

I can honestly say that I have never really seen much fruit from breaking out the moralistic measuring rod and using it to berate people. God treats us as sons, and he treats us in the way that a Father ought to treat us. He chastens the ones he loves and leads us to repentance through his goodness. We do not repent because of our badness, we repent in lieu of it. In light of that, there may be a chance that people who are spending too much time in what we would consider the "gray" shadowlands of life, may just need to be convinced of the goodness of God. Much like the woman at the well who went and told her people of the man who told her "everything she had done."

Basically, I am trying to pry into the purpose of Romans 14. Why is it even in the book of Romans? What does it have to do with the rest of the book? Paul speaks of being dead to the law, and that law actually works in consort with sin to make us sin more. But the resurrection of Christ gives us power to live after his life and similitude.

What I am about to say is, admittedly, my own opinion, but I think it makes sense. I think that Paul put Romans fourteen where he did because real holiness and real righteousness is put at stake when we trifle over peccadillo's. (A small, relatively unimportant offense or sin) And I use that term in the "best" sense. If all you ever do is trifle over "little" things, lets say rotten fruit on the branches of a rotten tree, you are wasting your time. You can trim off the rotten fruit season after season, but the tree will still keep producing it. In Psalm 74:5, Asaph laments, "A man was famous according as he had lifted up axes upon the thick trees." I think Asaph was lamenting that there were no men who could fell big trees of sin anymore. Instead many become branch grafters, and false fruit hangers.

It is a time to weep, like Asaph, like Nehemiah, like Paul, like Christ, like David. To weep not just for our sins, but for the sins of others. To weep for the lack of honor given to God, for he is worthy of it. To weep for the injustice brought upon the helpless.

If true righteousness and holiness are on the line then little hen-pecking (not that I am saying yours are, but I know mine have been in the past) rebukes that do not deal with the root issues in peoples lives are nothing but drip torture. When we walk in the Spirit, we live to please God. If we live to please God by walking in faith, we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. If we drip torture people into a psuedo form of righteousness apart from grace and the spirit...it simply will not last. If you cast out a demon, and do not replace it with the spirit of God, he will return with seven of his buddies and start a block party in your soul.

If you are walking in the Spirit, your life will be attractive to others, and they will want what you have. If you henpeck about things that don't matter as much as the issues that the Bible puts forth as mattering a great deal, then people won't listen when you want to deal with what is REALLY wrong in their lives.

There was a good illustration of this in a book I read by F.B. Meyer one time. He talked about a friend of his who smoked a pipe all the time. F.B. would walk with him and fellowship with him frequently. Then one day as they were walking across one of the bridges in London, the man took his pipe out of his pocket and launched it into the river. Meyer looked quizzically at the man, and he basically (and I am paraphrasing from memory) told F.B. that he knew his obsession with pipe smoking was not healthy, and had become a hindrance in his walk. He told F.B. that the reason he did it was because F.B. had never once chided him for it. Instead, F.B. showed him an example of Godly living, with patience grace and love. Had the man been living in adultery, stealing from the offering plate, or any number of other "real" sins, then I am sure F.B. would have said something.

The fact is, it is probably wrong for you to watch those things, play those things, and do those things. Do we really believe that "others can you cannot" tract that gets posted here all the time? Or is that just a glib self-righteous sentiment? I suspect it is easy to believe the "you cannot" but only pay lip service to the notion that "others can."

If true righteousness and the moral character of God is on the line, pick your battles, aim to take down the big trees. Over time, by your example, and by being salt and light into the life of your relations, you may just win them with kindness and goodness.

I only put this out because you asked. I tend to agree with the other poster, this forum is not the best place to receive clarity on this. And maybe I am just another inane voice. But if I agree with Romans 14, then consider it wisely.

If my advice is meaningless to you, here is what I suggest. Find somebody in your life who actually is living a godly life, and who has a lot of fruit in how they serve Jesus, and by fruit, I mean the fruit of the Spirit, not a lot of followers. Ask them to help give you counsel. Jesus was the Friend Of Sinners. They were always comfortable around him.

2012/1/18 17:23Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

The Bible says nothing about movies. I have looked. Can't find anything.

But the Holy Spirit who is the Interpreter and leads us into all truth in our walk with Him will lead you into "TRUTH" regarding movies, or food, or dress, or any number of subjects. He has not made a "standard" per say for all men and women through all generations. There is a high level standard or principle about dress and adorning the outward and it is basically, modesty. But you have to go to the Holy Spirit to get the details for yourself. There is no rule book or manual on the details. But you can bank on the fact that the Holy Spirit will have all the details for you on any subject which concerns YOU.

Jesus Christ is the Standard and the Holy Spirit will communicate to you what it is for you.

But be careful about one thing. Where there may be some who don't think they should see ANY movies, you cannot apply to others what the Holy Spirit tells you.

You may not like to eat certain foods are wear certain clothes, but don't apply it to all people. The Holy Spirit will lead you into truth tailored for you depending on many variables; Your past experiences, your weaknesses, your level of faith, etc.

That is why the one brother was asking you to read Romans 14. Because when we say God is a personal God, He really is. He leads you in a way that He may not lead someone else.

But, in both situations He never leads into sin.

For whatever factors and variables are involved between you and the Lord, He may not want you going to The Chronicles of Narnia movie, but don't ever think that what He said to you applies to all. On the other hand there are many things that are obvious and apply to all.

God may have you not go to a movie for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the content in that movie. It may be something else that only you and the Lord know about.

That is why Christianity is not a book religion, it is a living, dynamic relationship with Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit.

So, the issue is not who watches movies and who doesn't, or how many they watch or don't watch. The issue is Jesus. Are YOU abiding in Him and hearing His voice and following Him? We should not "compare ourselves among ourselves and measure ourselves by ourselves. (2 Cor 10:12)" It is best to go to the Lord on everything if you have any check in your spirit.

Pilgrim

2012/1/18 17:34Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

And by the way, like Travis, as for me and my house, we serve the Lord. My wife and I have high standards of what is acceptable in our home. We have been looked at funny by other believers many times...but we never make a point to get "preachy" about it.

The fact is, many movies are written, directed, and produced by Angels of Light. There is much in them that offends our God.

2012/1/18 17:42Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy