SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Christianity magazine defends Driscoll interview

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

I don't know what the end of Mark's life will be, but I know that God knows. And if Mark is failing the Lord in any way, I know that the Lord saves failures, saves sinners, great sinners.
If I knew of divine knowledge where Mark is failing the Lord, and I was given understanding of how to rebuke the man, bring and impart correction to him that would make him flee to Christ for refuge, I should do that - but honestly, I do not.
But I wish no man to be damned for all of eternity.
God help him, and may the saints, the penitent, help him too, for the sake of Christ, the Gospel, and the body of believers.
I know that I, myself, have to go lower, way lower in humility, so... If any that reads this feels led to pray for me to trust God as He brings me lower, please pray for me as well. Thank you, and may the Lord richly bless whomever that is, and may the Lord bless everyone here whether I agree with your words or not.

2012/1/18 18:22Profile
PrimaDogma

Re:

By denying that Religion Saves, Driscoll has committed High Treason against his fellow clergymen. If you don't need religion, you don't need church - and how is the church going to cover payroll if no one goes to church? How is a Man of God supposed to make a living?

His street vernacular and lack of seminary training create the impression that anyone can preach the gospel: a brazen affront to the Minister's Guild. What good are ordination papers if any yahoo can get a pulpit?

Driscoll does not meet my ideal of a good authoritarian pastor. Telling people that they should go thru life with a clear conscience and free from guilt strikes at the very foundation of the Religion Industry. He is sawing off the branch he is sitting on.

Driscoll is to be condemned for Conduct Unbecoming of a Professional Religious Person. God wants his ministers expounding three-point homiletics, with illustrative anecdotes and frequent references to the original Greek, not shouting into microphones like professional wrestlers.

Driscoll makes the Gospel appealing to Gen X types, the most execrable kind of Unchurched Persons. Jesus wants you coming to Him on your knees; Driscoll has them coming to Jesus shaking their booties and playing air guitar. He wears street clothes to church and encourages others to do the same! What? Everyone knows that when you come to church you are entering the Presence of God. And Driscoll can't even be bothered to wear a suit and tie?

To find a historic precedent for such an unlearned, rough-cut, irreligious fellow preaching the gospel, we have to go all the way back to Simon Peter! Can we imagine Peter dressing like Driscoll and talking like Driscoll? Well, yes, we can. But that doesn't make it OK. Driscoll has 20 centuries of clergydom to learn from. Peter kind of had to learn by doing, since he didn't have an Example to follow...

2012/1/18 18:42Profile

Re:

Quote:
I 'liked' Mark Driscoll the very first time I listened to him, especially because he seemed to speak the truth. But it only took a few minutes for me to sense a nonchalant, careless, youthful spirit about him, and a great lack of reverence for God. Note that I'm not in any way against youthfulness, as I am a youth myself.

There is almost a celebration of sin and pride in his sermons. By almost, I mean the it is clearly there, but it's hidden by the truth he speaks. I watched him a few times until I could not do it anymore; and I watched a good number of his sermons, including Q&A sessions. I had not read anything criticizing him, something just wasn't right about his presence...

I think that sums it up pretty accurately. Some will pick up on this right away, but many will not.

2012/1/18 20:45

Re:

PD - When you see Peter in Heaven, he can explain to you the difference between himself and Mr Driscoll.

I understand why you wouldn't want to compare any modern day preacher to Paul. Paul made tents while he cared for all of those churches, inbetween being shipwrecked, flogged, stoned, imprisoned, etc as part of his sabbaticals from traveling from church to church.

But those type preachers only come from that [dusty] old history book, that it's become.

2012/1/18 20:53
jimp

Re:

hi, you would have hated john the babtist.

2012/1/18 20:54Profile

Re:

Quote:
hi, you would have hated john the babtist.

Jim, I respect you for your gender and age and love you in Christ - but sometimes all I can do is scratch my head at your replies.

Was it just because John the Baptist didn't make tents too?

Or are you comparing Driscoll to John?

2012/1/18 21:02
knitefall

Re:

i just wish someone would actually bring an accusation from a quote of something he's actually said and repost it here so we all can see for ourselves. I'll start:

http://marshill.com/media/religionsaves/humor

2012/1/18 21:48Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the young man posted that he thought this guy driscoll was not all that he should be but he was preaching the truth. his appearance was what clinched it for him for it showed that he didn't have the proper respect for the Lord.john the baptist appearance also was unconventional.can you understand now? i heard all the negative reports on mark and i went to the web site and listened for 5 hours and became a fan.jimp

2012/1/18 21:51Profile
PrimaDogma

Re:

JiG,

That is no way to talk to the Pope of Louisiana (who vastly underestimated My Importance when he recently invited me to come to Baton Rouge and serve as his Vice Pope – I recommended Swaggart instead).

But the comparison with John is an apt one. Imagine him standing in a modern pulpit, wearing leather shorts, eating locust burgers, hair down to the floor. Oh yeah, he would go over real well with the religious…

And I do not need to wait for heaven to talk to Peter. I just phoned him. (I am already a celebrity in heaven, and have that kind of access.) He told me, “John grew his hair long just to annoy the Baptists, and if you think Driscoll is foul-mouthed, you should have heard Martin Luther…”

2012/1/18 21:54Profile

Re:

:) PD - The Grand Poobah of all Christian Forums.

Some may get angry at me - but re: "Luther" - I don't compare men with men - but men with that old book that 'those' men wrote for us through Him.

Sorry to get so "religious" on you.

It's what comes out of the mouth - not what's growing or worn around it.

By your leave, Sir!

{eta}Just realized that you wouldn't know what that last line means unless you were in the military.
It's what you say when requesting to be excused from the presence of a higher grade Officer.
Phew - didn't want to offend :)

2012/1/18 22:10

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy