SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian...You Are In Christ!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
pilgrim777

Re:

Praise the Lord, Sarah.

Sounds like you are really being edified. Turning our hearts and minds towards Jesus is always a good thing.

I also like this quote by the same author.

Jesus did not say, "I came that you might have religion, and practice it more faithfully," or "I came that you might have religion, and adhere to it more commitedly," or "I came that you might have religion, and define it more dogmatically," or "I came that you might have religion, and defend it more vehemently," or "I came that you might have religion, and thus behave more morally."

What Jesus said was, "I came that you might have life, and have it more abundantly" (John 10:10). The life that He came to bring and express within us and through us is His life. "I AM the way, the truth and the life," declared Jesus to His disciples (John 14:6). The apostle John wrote that "He that has the Son has life; he that does not have the Son does not have life" (I John 5:12). "Christ is our life," is the phrase Paul uses in writing to the Colossians (Col. 3:4), for Christianity is not "religion," but the life of Jesus Christ expressed in receptive humanity.

Pilgrim

2012/1/15 19:53Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Thank you for posting that, going to have to bookmark it for plenty of future reference. It is not the first time I have been encouraged by reading something from James Fowler.

2012/1/16 2:28Profile

Re:

About the other James -- why do some throw that book out? They claim that Luther did.
He uses the word "religion" twice in his 1st chpt and if one does fine-tooth-comb the rest of his book, maybe the answer to why he may have been thrown out may be apparent?

2012/1/16 23:07
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
About the other James -- why do some throw that book out? They claim that Luther did.

Luther did not throw out the book of James, nor did he call it straw. That is a misquote - which I can find, but that would take me a lot of time.

Diane

2012/1/17 14:26Profile
roadsign

Re:

My only concern for this strong Christocentric focus is that the Father seems notably overshadowed. What might be the implications down the road if the Trinity becomes distorted through an off-balanced focus?

What about:

"Our Father, who art in heaven.... "

Diane

2012/1/17 14:28Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Hi Diane,

Heb 12:2 comes to mind.

Heb 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

I think if we are Christocentric we can depend on the life of Jesus in us to guide us to the proper balance in things relating to the Father, Spirit, Bible, etc. It does not depend on us. As we look unto Jesus, the Good Shepherd, He will not lead us astray.

Consider that our fellowship is with the Father and His Son Jesus Christ.

1Jn 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

Pilgrim

2012/1/17 15:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy