SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Richard Dawkins celebrates a victory over creationists

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ET101

Richard Dawkins celebrates a victory over creationists

Free UK schools that teach intelligent design as science will lose funding. . .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/jan/15/free-schools-creationism-intelligent-design

2012/1/15 7:18Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Richard Dawkins celebrates a victory over creationists

I wrestle with this type of news a little bit every time I hear it. I guess it is a little bit of my own background that makes me wrestle so much.

1. I am a high school teacher who is certified in both Math and Science and who has taught high school Physics. So I understand the scientific arguments pretty well.
2. I am an ardent believer in a VERY literal interpretation of the book of Genesis and the Biblical chronology. I believe the earth was created about 6000-7000 years ago in six literal 24 hour days. I think Ken Ham and Answers in Genesis has this one right on.
3. I see NO conflict between science and the Bible in respect to the age of the earth. I have read a LOT about it and frankly the science that says the earth is billions of years old is so full of holes that it would not even make a very good sieve.
4. I also know that the church has not done a very good job of being relevant in this area. I did an entire one week youth camp focused on creation and the response from the youth was amazing. They went away pumped that they were now armed to defend their faith in the world. God also used it to break some ground in their hearts that had been hardened against God by evolutionary doctrine.

In all of that I struggle with whether we need to fight for creation in the schools or if it is really the church that needs to educate herself and begin to teach this subject in a way that is substantial. I also know that the atmosphere of a public school and what is allowed is VERY dependent on the leadership in that particular district and perhaps even more so in the specific building. We need more Christians who are called to be teachers and administrators and board members and superintendents. A Christian administrator and a Christian biology teacher agreeing to leave out the totally useless chapters on evolution or even better to give the students a balanced approach that points out the obvious flaws with evolutionary theory and encourages the students to think critically about these things is far more powerful than a law calling for a balanced approach in teaching that non-believers attempt to skirt.

2012/1/15 8:51Profile

Re: Richard Dawkins celebrates a victory over creationists

This is not a shot across the bows, this is a direct hit against those who would even suggest that their is intelligent design. Britian is hurtling towards being an outright opponent of Christianity. 99% of British kids go to " free," schools. The time has already arrived in Britian where a price now has to be paid for being a genuine Christian. It will get worse. As goes Britian, so will go America and the world. It actually may not be a bad thing. For, if their is a cost to being a Christian and sharing Christianity, then certainly the " goats," or the " tares," would not be willing to pay such a price.........brother Frank

2012/1/15 12:24
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I think you are right Frank. We need to be ready for the persecution that is coming.

2012/1/15 16:28Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Twayneb,
I find myself agreeing with everything you say.
If the church are properly taught about creation that must be the starting point.Should we fight this in the world or not.The answer is probably yes but did Paul try to fix the world?the answer is probably no.
Well put together post thanks Staff

2012/1/15 17:41Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
It actually may not be a bad thing. For, if their is a cost to being a Christian and sharing Christianity...

So true! After all, there is more to being Christian than defending the right theory of origin.

Diane

2012/1/15 18:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy