SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : 43 arrested while protesting NYC church ban

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 43 arrested while protesting NYC church ban

Police arrested 43 New York City pastors and lay people on Jan. 12 who were protesting the city's ban on church use of public schools for worship services. The ban is scheduled to go into effect Feb. 12.

The arrests came after more than 200 people gathered in the rain outside a Bronx public school where New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was giving his state of the city address. After singing songs and cheering speeches, protesters walked out in orderly groups of five to eight to kneel in front of barricades and pray. Police warned them to leave and then made arrests on charges of disorderly conduct.

The New York Board of Education has banned religious use of schools on Sunday mornings or at other times the schools are otherwise unused -- even though the churches rent the space, dropping an estimated several million dollars per year into the city cashbox. If the ban prevails, more than 150 ...

read more: http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=36953

2012/1/14 15:46Profile
staff

Re: 43 arrested while protesting NYC church ban

Hi.
"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"comes to mind!
Does God call people to become politicians?so we can fight fire with fire on occasions as this?Or should our fire be the word of God?Is the problem that we have no Christians in high political positions or that we have allowed the world to dictate the Agenda.
I have thought alot about politics and being a christian and I dont know is it possible.
As I speak the following is being discussed on Tv.
On the Dollar bill is says "IN GOD WE THRUST".
If New York wants to separate church and state then pick on the US Treasury and get them to change the Dollar.
As they say "the great thing about New York is that it lies so close to the USA".
Just a couple of rambling thoughts Staff

2012/1/14 17:04Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

This is shocking but predicted in the scriptures. It will be very bad for NYC, I would be surprised if not some sort of calamity will hit the city pretty soon. May God have mercy on those would drafted the deal.

We should get prepared the sooner the better to return to apostolic Christianity and assemble in homes. This could be a blessing in disguise. Heavenly Father, look after your children and brothers and sisters in NYC, let them understand quickly what they should do, let them not loose heart. May the churches that have buildings house some of those churches. May they serve you with even greater devotion and love, knowing full well that Christ has the preeminence and rules on high.

2012/1/14 17:19Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Board of Education officials stuck with their ban on churches, though, saying it will protect the minds of "impressionable youth."

This sounds noble, but you and I know that the Board of Ed has had far too much power (in Canada too). They believe they are greater than God - or rather, that there is no God. Religion is a threat to their hegemony.

Let us pray that God will vindicate his glory regarding this matter.

Perhaps God will do it in a different way. After all, God does not need the School Board!

Perhaps the various church denominations will ban together and share their own facilities with each - more than has ever happened before.

Maybe some Muslims or Mormons will rent out their facilities ...... Well..... you never know!

Diane

2012/1/14 17:41Profile

What is the trouble?

This is a public school owned by the state or province. If the state decides to not let out their schools for Church services they have that right, Churches can seek many other buildings in other areas to rent out.

They were told by the police not to cause a disturbance and they went against it, who's at fault? The people that went against the police are at fault. If they had any sense they would have backed off and went home and had a prayer meeting and God would have or may not have overturned the ruling.

But no, they had to act out in the flesh and make a nuisance of themselves.

So what if they don't want their youths to become infected, God is more powerful than they, He can do all things for anyone that believes that He can do it. Amen, Praise God!

2012/1/14 21:13

Thanks for posting this Greg. I forwarded the story to several saints.

This is disheartening to say the least, but not surprising. I know of many churches that have met and are meeting in schools, so I hope this will not be a nationwide practice. They can kill the body, but they cannot kill the soul. "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell" (Mat. 10.28).

Maybe God will use this to bring the saints in NY to a deeper realationship with Himself and the saints."We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren" (1 John 3:16)."Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved" (Acts 2:46).

God bless you,

Kenneth Martin

P.S. I wish we could have met at the recent Atlanta conference. You were standing at the back of the church when Alan and Dina Martin arrived and my wife and I were greeting them.

2012/1/14 21:17

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy