SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mother Teresa Loses Her Faith

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ArtB

New York

Mother Teresa Loses Her Faith

A discussion that arose on my thread about about Michelangelo rejecting Catholicism in the 16th century and embracing the Protestant View of Salvation through faith, was that Mother Teresa lost her faith is a topic worthy of its' own thread.

So I'm Moving it here. CBS Reports in 2007 reported:

(CBS) In life, Mother Teresa was an icon — for believers — of God's work on Earth. Her ministry to the poor of Calcutta was a world-renowned symbol of religious compassion. She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

In a rare interview in 1986, Mother Teresa told CBS News she had a calling, based on unquestioned faith.

"They are all children of God, loved and created by the same heart of God," she said.

But now, it has emerged that Mother Teresa was so doubtful of her own faith that she feared being a hypocrite, reports CBS News correspondent Mark Phillips.

In a new book that compiles letters she wrote to friends, superiors and confessors, her doubts are obvious.

Shortly after beginning work in Calcutta's slums, the spirit left Mother Teresa.

"Where is my faith?" she wrote. "Even deep down… there is nothing but emptiness and darkness... If there be God — please forgive me."

Eight years later, she was still looking to reclaim her lost faith.

"Such deep longing for God… Repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal," she said.

As her fame increased, her faith refused to return. Her smile, she said, was a mask.

"What do I labor for?" she asked in one letter. "If there be no God, there can be no soul. If there be no soul then, Jesus, You also are not true."

"These are letters that were kept in the archbishop's house," the Rev. Brian Kolodiejchuk told Phillips.

The letters were gathered by Rev. Kolodiejchuk, the priest who's making the case to the Vatican for Mother Teresa's proposed sainthood. He said her obvious spiritual torment actually helps her case.

"Now we have this new understanding, this new window into her interior life, and for me this seems to be the most heroic," said Rev. Kolodiejchuk.

According to her letters, Mother Teresa died with her doubts. She had even stopped praying, she once said.

The church decided to keep her letters, even though one of her dying wishes was that they be destroyed. Perhaps now we know why.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/23/eveningnews/main3199062.shtml

And here is an Atheist forum reply with additional details, and food for thought on the damage Hypocrisy can cause.

http://www.daylightatheism.org/2007/08/mother-teresas-loss-of-faith.html

2012/1/13 17:21Profile
romanchog

Re: Mother Teresa Loses Her Faith

Oh may our Hypocrisy look like Mother Teresa's!

And how many of us believers have not walked through periods of darkness when we think we have lost our faith? I have seen many postings on that topic on this site.

Our faith, in any case, should not be in one MAN's particular view of Christianity (Catholic, Protestant, Greek Orthodox, etc., etc., etc.) Our faith is in CHRIST the one WHO SAVES, the LORD OF LORDS, and KING OF KINGS.

2012/1/13 19:03Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Mother Teresa

Thanks, Art, for this very interesting conversation.

I have found by experience that God is the rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. It makes me wonder just how much she was seeking God, and how much she secretly relished the praises of men.

There is something within us that looks at other people and makes us worship things we think we see there. Those things might not be be real.

Just how brutal is that wall of Roman Catholic doctrine for people to climb over of smash through? Isn't it natural for people to look for a system of behaviors that alleviate guilt; rules and rituals that we try to use to tell ourselves that we are OK? I know I have done that!

But the fundamental truth of the protestant gospel that works cannot save us gives us a reasonable and doable path to the freedom of genuine faith. Catholics don't have that.

Jesus was so right, getting into the faces of the religious leaders and pointing out how they bound the people with unmanageable burdens that they themselves were unwilling to bear.

It is the same today.

2012/1/13 20:55Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Mother Teresa

Thanks, Art, for this very interesting conversation.

I have found by experience that God is the rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. It makes me wonder just how much she was seeking God, and how much she secretly relished the praises of men.

There is something within us that looks at other people and makes us worship things we think we see there. Those things might not be be real.

Just how brutal is that wall of Roman Catholic doctrine for people to climb over of smash through? Isn't it natural for people to look for a system of behaviors that alleviate guilt; rules and rituals that we try to use to tell ourselves that we are OK? I know I have done that!

But the fundamental truth of the protestant gospel that works cannot save us gives us a reasonable and doable path to the freedom of genuine faith. Catholics don't have that.

Jesus was so right, getting into the faces of the religious leaders and pointing out how they bound the people with unmanageable burdens that they themselves were unwilling to bear.

It is the same today.

2012/1/13 20:55Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

I must apologize for not being clear, I was not referring to Mother Teresa when I used the word Hypocrisy, She was not the hypocrite, she was very open with her serious doubts about God's existence, and as early as 1946. The Hypocrisy were on those who received and knew her letters about her serious doubts about the existence of God and they hid these doubts from the public and painted a rather different picture of her as another one their saints, and this helped her church to raise funds and popularize their Church. And the atheists see it this way, and they see it as hypocrisy.

I tend to think that a Christian saint is one who believes in the existence of God, the Trinity, the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ etc.. There have been atheists who reached out to the poor and sick, Albert Schweitzer comes to mind. Nor am I saying that she or Schweitzer are not going to be saved, that judgment belongs solely to God.

2012/1/13 21:04Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

I thought favorably of Mother Teresa for years and then was saddened to find out that she believed that there was value in what you and I would call needless suffering (physical pain associated with illness or injury). Suffering for a cause like Jesus or Christian martyrs is precious in the sight of the Lord because it is being endured to obtain a spiritual good. Whereas suffering due to illness or injury helps and serves absolutely no good purpose. Chalk it up to twisted Catholic logic. Because Jesus suffered and did not complain or lift a finger to alleviate it therefore any and all suffering that you or I experience should likewise be endured!?!?! That kind of thinking is straight from the enemy. Now if you are in a jungle and don't have access to anything that will alleviate pain or suffering then yes, I guess it must be endured. I don't think you earn brownie points with God for that however. But Mother Teresa knowingly and purposely withheld pain medicines from terminally ill patients as a way “to share in God’s suffering and to make up for the sins of the world.” The words in quotes are verbatim from the mouth of Mother Teresa.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2008/09/06/mother-teresa-welcomed-suffering-saving-paradise-offers-another-way/

http://www.challies.com/articles/the-myth-of-mother-teresa

2012/1/13 23:45Profile

Re:

There is a world of difference between going through a period of darkness where you have doubts whether you really were accepted into the kingdom one day, or whether God is fair and being at the point where you have doubts as to whether He exists or not. Once you truly have encountered Him, I cannot see how you can imagine He is not there, even despite having enormous issues with Him. At the point of deepest despair, when like Peter we may turn our back, we are aware of what we are doing but we are acting out of anger and not out of emptiness.

If Mother T had said she had periods of feeling angry with God it would have sounded more authentic. And indeed she was a hypocrite to deny needed medication on the grounds of something she no longer believed in.

As far as I can discerne, many large financial gifts to her charity are still unaccounted for.

2012/1/14 5:02
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Angry with God

A friend of mine that loves God and has for many years tried to get a ministry going in his home town. Having spent a number of years with YWAM, he was no stranger to seeing God work with miracles of provision and saving unlikely souls.

But up in Minnesota it just didn't happen for him. He recalls being on a prayer walk at night and with his eyes up toward the stars yelling out-

"God! Where the Hell are you??"

No answer. (Just as well- Rich might have disappeared in a puff of smoke..)

But there was ministry for him somewhere else, and he is grateful that the leading of God put him where he was supposed to be. When we're together we both appreciate that God is so patient, maybe even amused at how we work at getting connected to Him.

Have you noticed how in the original Forest Gump movie the character development of "Lewtenant Dayenn?" A picture of ignorance, anger, and near suicidal rebellion as he tried to destroy himself following his injuries in the Viet Nam war. Finally he shows up where Forest is running the shrimp boat and comes aboard, his cocky, sarcastic, mocking self.

But in the storm, propped up atop the mast, the wind and rain howling in the night in bitter tears he challenges God to kill him right there. It is the beginning of his surrender to the love he has spurned his whole life.

The next thing we see is that he has made his peace, and actually become a minister!

I also noticed that in the "made for TV" version of the film, all of that is removed.

2012/1/14 12:10Profile

Re:

Krautfrau writes.........

"There is a world of difference between going through a period of darkness where you have doubts whether you really were accepted into the kingdom one day, or whether God is fair and being at the point where you have doubts as to whether He exists or not. Once you truly have encountered Him, I cannot see how you can imagine He is not there, even despite having enormous issues with Him. At the point of deepest despair, when like Peter we may turn our back, we are aware of what we are doing but we are acting out of anger and not out of emptiness."

Sister, you are exactly right. There is not a single Scripture or example from Scripture where men or woman of God wondered whether God existed or not. Now, they often felt abandoned, indeed the Lord cries that out from the cross and David had similiar thoughts, but never did anyone think there was no God.

Have we forgotton so much of the reformation? A man or woman is not saved by being Catholic. The Catholic doctrine is , for the most part, high heresy. The Catholic church, by its teachings have ushered and guided countless millions of people into the bowels of hell. Catholics, by mere fact of being Catholics, do not have a relationship with Jesus. No one should be surprised that mother Theresa did not know God personally and therefore could easily doubt His existance.

I have been married for 30 years, for somenone to say that I do not know my wife or that I would doubt her existance would simply be bizarre. I met Jesus 21 years ago. In that time I have, like most Christians, walked through dark valleys and have seasons of great trial and lonliness and not hearing from God, yet for the most part it has been a rich, deeply intimate and personal relationship, exactly as described in the New Testement. Being Catholic or Baptist or Pentecostal or any other religion does not save you.

Only those who have been born-again are saved. Its a personal relationship, an encounter with the person of Jesus that saves us. Its by grace through faith and its not by works. Its hard to imagine a more works orientated religion in the world than the Catholic church. I was born a Catholic of multiple generations, raised in a Catholic community and all of my education was Catholic. Its amazing that most of the protestant world used to know that Catholics were not Christians, now it seems that this knowledge has almost been completly lost.........brother Frank

2012/1/14 13:02
ManofGod0000

Re:

I totally understandwhy Mother Theresa felt the way in which she did. I can spend time explaining it, but many of u will either judge me or not understand my position, for i too have lived in such a state for quite a while and no matter what Ive done, no matter what Ive done in works or practices, absolutely nothing has helped.

I have just felt left by God, abandoned, and in a place where I can only rely upon his help.

2012/1/16 12:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy